Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Industry in Summary (so far)

Ruthless
"So," I concluded, finally resting my hands on the desk instead of flapping them as if I was being swarmed by a friendly yet flappy bunch of ladybugs, "I like her. I don't mind working with her, but there are some definite problems."

"I'll take care of it," Adam said after shaking his head at the person in question.

"I don't know that she'll share your view of the situation," I told him. When he raised an eyebrow at me behind the closed door of his office, I shrugged. "I just think it's going to be hard to convince her to back off."

"I don't have to convince her of anything," he explained, still looking surprised. "I'll tell her boss and he'll reign her in. I'm not talking to her at all."

"Oh," I replied, wishing for a moment that I was nicer and didn't find all this power so thrilling.

Manipulative
"Do you get the feeling my questions are annoying him?" I read the words written in the corner of her of notebook and nodded my honest response. But I leaned in to whisper that mine appeared to be bugging him too. One interesting facet of working for a Big Company is that I'm powerful by association. If you're trying to sell us something, it turns out that you have to win me over, at least for the purposes of the meeting today. But that appeared to get lost in translation somehow.

"Wait," I said later in the same meeting. "You're saying you have no interest in that area?" I clarified when he blew off one of my concerns. The leader of their group nodded and I watched the rest of his team look uncomfortable.

"Is that a problem, Katie?" Adam asked from his seat located a couple chairs away. I leaned back to meet his eyes, shrugged, then nodded. He nodded back and wrote something down. And attitudes toward me changed.

"Would you find value in adding this feature?" I asked after a moment and felt satisfied when heads bobbed across the table. Got it, I decided. Hold my line and recruit support. I can do that.

Redundant
"So you'll need to include this in your presentation," one woman said, trying to be encouraging.

"I think the presentation in question is already written. It predates me." I said, smiling.

"No," someone else agreed with her, not me. "But it should look like this."

So we discussed and reviewed and I thought, rather mildly, that I'd seen all these slides before. Then I went to a meeting this morning and saw some of them again. Then I went to another meeting to hear people reiterate what had been sent in email. For a place with signs all over speaking of efficiency and minimizing waste, there is a huge deal of effort duplicated (or triplicated or quadruplicated).

"Too many cooks," Adam sighed when I asked him about the presentation the women had discussed.

"It's sweet," I argued. "People are trying to help me."

"We'll have to beat some of that polite Midwestern attitude out of you," he teased. "It's a pain in the ass." And he's right - it is. But I'll figure it out.

Unimpressed
"Huh," one man replied when told how many papers were published from one spin-off company. "What about patents? Trade secrets?" And I smiled. I got email this morning that regretted to inform me that my paper was rejected. I stared at it for a moment, wondering at the sensation. I didn't feel like a failure! It was a bit disappointing, sure, and now I'll have to find another journal, but that world has limited power to hurt me now. It's like I've evolved beyond it! (Or escaped from it - semantics.)

I've traded publications and grants and tenure review for, well, this. Politics and meetings and evaluation rather than creation. And it's very different - I don't know that everyone would be happy here. But I'm nearly euphoric at times. Yes, it's overwhelming in certain moments. There are annoyances and frustrations and wastes of time.

But I feel like I'm starting to contribute. I'm asking good questions. I'm making sense of the business structure, meeting some great people. I'm working on interesting projects and learning a tremendous amount. It's exciting and fun and happy. (So far.)

4 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

The redundancy thing sounds much like my last job!

Glad you're still enjoying the new situation!

H said...

I read an article in the NYT last week about jobs, management and impressions. I thought of you since you are at a new job and just went through the job hunt process. I wish I could find the article again. It seemed like it had useful information in it. It talked a lot about how employers ought not to hire people on the basis of whether they got along and/or had things in common, but rather whether the person had the necessary skills and background. It also talked about how, as a new employee, the most important impression you made was in the first few weeks. It talked about a guy who had figured out the system, worked like a dog and rarely even took a lunch, coming early and staying late, for the first few weeks. Then he relaxed. He would take time, long lunches, whatever. He had already cemented his reputation as a hard worker. If I can find it, I'll send you the link.

Sounds like all is going well so far!

Psych Post Doc said...

Glad to hear all is going well!!

Anonymous said...

it seems things area going well, yay for getting support! and yah, that redundancy thing sounds annoying.

Post a Comment