Tuesday, July 15, 2008

En Route

"That would be wonderful," I said to Jane when she invited me out for wine and cheese one night after work. She nodded as we both struggled to disassemble a piece of equipment. We were tucking styled hair behind our ears, teetering on heels and tugging at dress clothes while trying to remove screws, replace components and reassemble the device.

"So this date on Thursday," she said, pausing from trying to wiggle a piece of plastic back into place. "It's very romantic - he picked a good event for you two to attend. But take a sweater - it gets cool at night." I nodded, but ducked my head and focused on attaching two wires.

"What?" Jane asked a moment later when I continued to smile.

"It's nothing," I said, but glanced at her before shrugging. "Jon said he planned to wear a blazer and that I could borrow it if the weather got chilly." I paraphrased the comment he made, of course, but the response was gratifying.

"How great is he?" she said, nodding in approval.

"Very," I replied. "I'm obviously not sure where this will go, but he is really wonderful."

"I think," she predicted, "you're going somewhere good. The job, the house, the date - it's all indicative of you being happy here."

"I am happy here," I beamed at her and she returned my smile. I walked back to my desk and realized the headache I'd been ignoring had grown severe. When my focus slipped, I realized a migraine had set in, took care of the most urgent emails and returned to the hotel to drug myself. I remain a bit fuzzy behind painkillers, but I had another good - and busy - day.

Well on my way toward...something wonderful, I hope.

6 comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

Wow, we do have a lot in common, even the headaches. I'm sorry about the migraine. I hope the meds helped.

I can't wait to hear all about your date on Thursday

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Katie, you almost make me wish I was in a "first dates" period again!

Anonymous said...

yay for Jon. wishing you all good things!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Damnit I'm going to be undergoing a 5 day internet withdrawal period (aka camping) and will miss the big date post! Oh well, something to look forward to when I get back...

Brigindo said...

Hope the migraine is gone. I know how disruptive they are.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear all about the date.

Anonymous said...

i can't tell you how much reading about your happiness is helping me. :)

Post a Comment