Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Travel

Growing up, I was fascinated by travel - reading of far-away places and fascinating people and wishing I was able to visit them. Given that we flew all of once as a family, that seemed a bit of an unlikely goal but I'm a homebody at heart so those places on the globe became fun fantasies.

In junior high, we could win a trip to the annual conference - in northern Illinois (not Chicago) - if we acquired the most points. So I babysat at PTA meetings. Sold soda and snacks at basketball games. Ran for (and won - I was super-cool) state representative. And was granted a spot in the rented van and a cheap hotel to learn about leadership. And it was awesome. And so that trend continued once in grad school - write abstracts and go places! My list in grad school - if memory serves - included Kyoto and Miami, Toronto and London. And I took So Many Pictures - the kind that were developed and printed on paper!

Since starting the blog, I've seen some places. Done some things. And thought I'd capture a list for easy (and alphabetical) reference.


Barcelona, uno
Barcelona, dos
Boston
Calgary
Chicago, 2007
Chicago, 2010
Disney World
Dollywood
Florida, Atlantic Coast
Honolulu
Los Angeles, just north of
London
Madrid
Manchester and points west, UK
Montreal
Munich
New York City
North Shore
Osaka
Paris
Paris (same trip but I so loved Paris)
Peoria
Phoenix
Poconos
Raleigh
San Diego
San Francisco, 1
San Francisco, 2
Savannah
Seattle
Seoul
Smoky Mountains
Stockholm
Tokyo
Toronto
Upper Midwest in Winter
Vancouver
Waikiki
Washington, DC
West, unspecified


Transit to Asia - Because I do get deliriously tired and found this memory to be amusing.
7:20PM
There's a person in a mask! He means to do me harm! I look closer and realize it's a woman with her hair in a barrette. I shiver, sigh and try to rest again.

7:30PM
There's a spider on me! A white spider! I look closely, in horror of course, and realize it's a spot on the carpet. Sigh again when I realize my vision is unreliable in my state of exhaustion.

No comments:

Post a Comment