Monday, July 07, 2008

Day One

I used to be careful. I’d change details, use pseudonyms for everyone and delay posts for days. At some point, I stopped worrying. I checked blog email at work and even wrote a post or two from campus. I wrote things that were less than wise and played fast and loose with any attempts at real privacy. If you’ve read for long, you likely know what I study. And where my parents live. And therefore the jump to my general city and current employer wouldn’t be far behind. And, even though it’s only been one day, I rather like this job. I don’t want to lose it because I wrote too much on my blog.

So I’m going to try to go slowly here – test the waters, figure things out. I won’t write bloggy email or drafts of posts on my work computer. I don’t even know how I’m going to tell stories yet. But I do have a few notes as I remain a little boring here for the next few days while I’m thinking of how to do this.

First, I decided before I was offered this job that I’d start taking photos when I started my new job and would continue to do so for a year. Project 365 is the inspiration, of course, but I’m beginning on July 7 instead of January 1. Since I’m breaking rules, I decided to give myself a bit of a break. I will therefore do Project 355 ± 10. That gives me 20 days to miss, though I hope not to utilize all of them.

Everyone was very friendly. They introduced themselves at the start of a meeting, each of them looking at me to recite name and title. When I later met some of them individually, they reminded me of names and welcomed me with the polite warmth of the midwest. It’s less effusive than what I knew in the south, but I like the more restrained manners here. People called me by name rather than honey or dear. But that’s fine – I answer to Katie quite easily.

Oh, and there is a serious hierarchical structure. While we all use first names, people are very deferential to those who are Very Important. There was one man in a meeting who was Most Important. A single glance from him quieted whispered conversations. A mere wave of his hand would speed someone’s explanation or question. It was awesome – completely fun to watch, especially after working for Boss, the man who wouldn’t scare a fly.

I had a brief orientation meeting and I will share one question that was asked. “You know where it says I should go to www.website.com?” one girl asked and our HR person nodded. “How do I get there online?” I blinked at her, looked down at the paper in my lap and turned my head to blink at her again. I think I shook my head in disbelief when the HR person told her to simply open a browser and type in the address. I shouldn’t be mean – I think it’s good and smart to ask questions when you don’t understand something. And perhaps she was overwhelmed with introductions and instructions on her first day. But, really? That’s the question you want to ask in front of a bunch of people you might see every day at work? Wow.

I suddenly realized, bringing my attention to the meeting going on and away from the trees outside the window earlier this afternoon, that I wasn’t home. Meetings are funny – long tables arranged in U shapes, chairs strewn about. Windows that open to nondescript views hid the fact that I’m somewhere new. There was a moment – a rather excruciating one – where I panicked. I missed Friend and my house and my dog! I wanted cheese biscuits or waffles or sweet tea! But I settled in again, reminded myself to breathe and focused on the topic at hand.

I’m going to learn a tremendous amount here. And I think I’ll enjoy doing it.

Three groups toured my house this weekend. Realtor (Selling) is going to ask for feedback today. I’ll let you know what I hear, but I’m actually thrilled people are looking. That means it’s priced in an attractive range, which was the goal. And not everyone is afraid of my old neighborhood! Hooray!

Chienne is with my parents and, according to Mom, very sad. “She watches for you,” she told me, which made me feel terribly guilty. But the three of them – Mom, Dad and the dog – will arrive on Saturday. We’ll likely make an offer on a house then. I want a house and since I'm trying to sell my old one, I should try to acquire one here.

For now, I’ve taken off my dress clothes and snuggled into pajamas. I’ll be wearing business casual for the most part – basically what I wore for my post-doc, so that's comfortable and normal. I pulled my hair back – it stayed in pretty curls all day, making me quite proud – and caught up on email. I’m yawning and stuffy, but underneath the sleepiness and mild cold, I think I’m happy.

So day one was good. I have high hopes for day two.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's a little surreal to read your story on Day One. I guess I've been reading your story as a post-doc long enough that I need some adjustments too. =P Glad you're happy and doing beautifully at your new location. Best wishes.

Lucy said...

I'm glad you had a good first day. I hope things continue to go well. :)

hgg said...

sounds great! I look forward to your photo project!

repressed librarian said...

First days aren't always known for being that great, so I'm glad (and relieved!) that your's was good. Here's to many more fantastic days there!

Seeking Solace said...

So glad to hear it went well.

Anonymous said...

It was awesome – completely fun to watch, especially after working for Boss, the man who wouldn’t scare a fly.

Power is intoxicating, isn't it?

Amanda said...

I'm glad that your first day was lovely. I hope that today is going just as well.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Yay! I'm glad the first impression was good. Here's hoping for a whole week of it!

Psych Post Doc said...

I'm so glad to hear that day 1 was a good one!

I hope all goes well with the house, both buying and selling.

Psycgirl said...

Yay for excellent first days!
I never actually figured out where you/your parents live from your blog, just to let you know!

Anonymous said...

So glad that your job is going well! I really know what you mean about the privacy and anonymity thing... it makes me wish there were some hard and fast rules. I've heard before the some companies think you shouldn't even be on anything like Facebook or MySpace or social networking sites, which seems a little unreasonable because if they trust you enough to hire you, they should believe you are smart enough to judge what is appropriate and what is not... with blogs, I think the line is so much blurrier... good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

yay for a good day one!!

Post a Comment