Saturday, July 12, 2008

The House (I hope)

"We love it," Mom said as she returned to where Chienne and I waited in the car.

"Really?" I asked, surprised. "I thought you'd hate it."

"Why?" she asked, using my tone of shock. "It's beautiful! That huge tub and all the living space. Your dad and I both liked it a lot."

"Crap," I said, walking in the front door. It's more than I wanted to pay, honestly, though right at the limit of what my mortgage guy told me to spend. I thought that if Mom and Dad said it was icky, I could remove it from my list and head toward one of the more sensible properties. Instead, I moved up the walk between the row of bushes and the front porch that stretched gracefully across the length of the structure. I entered the front door and glanced up at the two-story foyer and sighed.

To my left is an office and I could see shelves along the walls and a desk in the corner. My iMac could perch atop, looking simple and pretty, and I smiled at the thought of having all my novels displayed before moving into the living room. The main floor is set up in a circle, each room connecting to the next, though there is a hallway down the middle that contains a tiny half bath. But moving toward the back of the house, through the door in the would-be office, I entered the living room and glanced at the brick fireplace on my left. It's gas, I thought wistfully, picturing easy ignitions on lazy weekends or after work on a snowy evening. I moved through the room and toward the table that sat between kitchen and living room, basking in the sun pouring through the sliding doors.

I moved past it, nudging a chair in place as I unlocked and stepped through the back door. I walked out on a deck, stained a dark brown, and carefully moved my eyes over the yard.

"It's plenty big," Dad noted, joining me. "If you can fence it for Chienne, she'll have plenty of room to move around." I nodded, peering out toward the sidewalk over the corner lot and glancing at where I estimated the neighbor's property line would be. Glancing up, I saw the smaller deck off the the master suite, stained the same dark color and offering a better view of the pretty neighborhood. I walked back in, leaving the door open for Dad to follow, and moved into the kitchen. It's bright and sunny, though the only light comes through the glass doors, and opened the dishwasher to see dirty plates and silverware waiting for friends so they could get clean. Pushing it closed, I admired the fixtures on the cabinets - thin silver twists on bright white cabinets and moved across the ceramic tile, past one pantry, then the second one and peeked in the dining room.

"There are really nice touches," Realtor noted. And I nodded as I touched the chair rail and glanced up at the ceiling. The trim around the doors is dark brown and has tiny details - concentric circles - in each corner. I started to circle again, moving through the office and barely into the living room, and beginning to climb the steps that open to that end of the house. Reaching the top, I viewed the good-sized guest bedrooms and the full bath that served them in the hallway. I nodded with absent satisfaction as I viewed them, realizing I didn't have enough beds for two guest rooms anymore. And given that I'd put my office downstairs, the second floor would only house sleeping space. I walked into the master bedroom and sighed, for it's lovely. Sliding doors open onto a deck, leaving the large bed and matching furniture well lit and looking right in the spacious room.

But then there's the bathroom. A window in the shape of a hexagon sits above a whirlpool tub easily big enough for two. The very thought of soaking in bubbling water scented with a bath orb made me whimper with longing. I traced the edges of the white surface, too much in love to even count the holes that would make the water massage my sore muscles. I glanced across the room at the large vanity and single sink - frowning at the thought that I would have put two in - then pulled aside the frosted glass to peer in the shower and moving through one more door to see the toilet and linen closet.

"I could just live in here," I sighed, standing for another moment in the beautiful bathroom. But I moved back toward the stairs, heading down to the living room and smiling fondly at the fireplace before moving down a second set of steps into the finished basement. There are windows to let in light for the rec and storage rooms. The washer and dryer are down there as is more living space I've no idea how to use. There is, I thought, enough room in here for another person. And I smiled, wondering if he's ever share the space.

"Are there any that we've seen that are better than your current property?" Realtor asked when we finished.

"My favorite is," I told her and took a breath before announcing that I wanted it. My parents nodded in agreement and I told Realtor to try to talk the owners down on price. We haven't decided on an initial offer yet, but I'm hoping it feels as right as the house does. But, for today, there's a precious puppy in my hotel room with me and my parents are located just down the hall. It was nice to spend the day with people who love me and I'm looking forward to tomorrow as well.

I hope said dog moves into the beautiful house even though she's returning home with my parents tomorrow. But I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Crossing your fingers for me would be very appreciated. (Oh, and dear Chienne looks goofy in the photo because she's woofing at me - she wanted cuddles more than photos.)

11 comments:

EthidiumBromide said...

You had me at whirlpool tub. Enough living space for two -- so when can I move in?? I cook and do laundry. :)

post-doc said...

Keep in mind you'd have to climb two flights of stairs to put laundry away! But the kitchen is very pretty and usable. And - though this sounds completely weird - I'm very into bathrooms. I love that there are 3.5 of them. I want, I want, I want!

And you're definitely invited to visit - no cooking or laundry required. :)

EthidiumBromide said...

3.5 bathrooms? For one person? Words cannot express my jealously!
My 1.5 month old marriage is, without a doubt, going to fail shortly, due to our one bathroom situation and the fact that my husband is an extreme bathroom hog. Living in a dorm with two other girls gave me significantly more bathroom time than living just with him!
Wow. 3.5 bathrooms all for you. I am in awe. Plumbing nirvana!

(Oh, and in my house growing up, I had to climb 3 flights of stairs to put away laundry, so I'm okay with that. Especially if there's a whirlpool tub at the end of the day.)

My fingers are so crossed for you to get the house!

post-doc said...

I don't think I could live with anyone and share a bathroom on a consistent basis. I badly want to be married and in love. But sharing a single bathroom? I don't know I could pull that off. If I can get the house though, I won't have to!

And, seriously, the whirlpool tub is too incredible for words. It's just...exquisite. Oh, I want it. So thank you for the crossed fingers.

EthidiumBromide said...

I figure that the hassle and major annoyance of sharing a bathroom now will make it that much easier and more enjoyable when he moves away and we start the long-distance phase of our relationship. A bathroom all to myself and no more sleeping on the couch -- husband? What husband? I don't miss any husband!

And everybody takes different paths to the finish line, but we seem to wind up there eventually. You'll wind up in love and married (sans the unpleasant tiny inner-city condo-living bathroom-sharing experience) after you own the big, beautiful house, and someday in the very very distant future I'll be able to afford to move out of the city and not live in a condo and have multiple bathrooms... I just picked up the husband first. Personally, I think you chose the better path. :)

hgg said...

The house sounds fabulous. I don't mind sharing bathroom with someone (I've done that for most of my life) but 3.5 is heaven!

Psych Post Doc said...

I so long for a 2nd bathroom. I hate sharing and it's the #1 on my list for our next house. I also long for an office with built in shelving on the main level. Oh, and the fireplace, yes I need a fireplace if we remain in the northeast. It sounds like your house is perfect for me. :)

The house sounds beautiful, way too much room for 1 but I'm sure you'll make due. :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds great!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Seeking Solace said...

I so want a wirlpool tub!!!
Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic house. Good luck!

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

"Sliding doors open onto a deck"

Buy it! Buy it now!

The one annoyance I have with our house is the single bathroom. We don't clash over it too much in our usual routines, but when we have guests it becomes an issue.

Post a Comment