Monday, July 28, 2008

A Dream of a Library

Should you ever come visit after I move, you could walk in the front door and glance to your left into the office.

I want to make it a library.

It's not a big room, nestled into a front corner of the house. But I can see shelves reaching toward the ceiling, holding all the books I've accumulated over the years. I could put art on the walls between the shelves, making it seem like I'm all cultured and cool. Of course, you'd only have to look at the row after row of romance novels to see that's not the case, but I could always try to hurry people past the library and toward the back of the house.

What I love about those daydreams - thinking of shelves and books and wandering up two steps in the living room, over the landing and down those two steps in the corner of the office - is that it's all possible. I'll save some money and research shelving options that match the wooden railings and baseboards. I'll negotiate a reasonable deal and have my parents help me assemble and arrange the furniture. I'll place books haphazardly - I tend to run my finger over the spines until I find one I want to read rather than look for something specific. And, someday, I'll have a room that's similar to how I picture it.

Life, unfortunately, is less certain. Perhaps the more adventurous of us find that dazzling - I find it exhausting and scary. From writing email to Jon and wondering where we're going, to meeting with Adam and getting an intimidating list of things to do next, it's just making me tired. So my plans tonight include a shower, plucking my eyebrows and an early bedtime.

My hope is that I'll snuggle into my new pillows and dream of a library in the front of my new house.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plucking, but no tucking? I am very disappointed.

Psych Post Doc said...

No way should you rush them past the library. If they judge, they weren't your friends to begin with.

I went house hunting this weekend, I promise a post about will come soon. I did not have the luck you did!

post-doc said...

PhysioProf:
I've typed the word 'tuck' twice (or more) in that post and removed them all. You made me self-conscious! I hope you're happy.

Psych Post Doc:
Oooh - I love house hunting posts! It can be tough - don't get discouraged. And my friends know I have a fondness for love stories. It's my colleagues that probably don't need to know that much about my reading habits. :)

Psycgirl said...

Sometimes thinking about houses and furniture and such is all that gets me through hard days. It's been getting me through a lot of days lately. I've always wanted a library in my house too to house all of the books I can't bear to part with. You can always get shelves with doors if you want to hide some of your less prestigious books :)

Estrella said...

Loving the idea of a library in that pretty corner ... Having a library/music room is one of my dreams too.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

A library would be awesome. My books are crammed into a dresser with my booze at the moment, a "temporary" solution that began two years ago and needs to be fixed!

post-doc said...

PsycGirl-
Shelves with doors! That's brilliant! :) And, yes, daydreaming about houses is one of my favorite pastimes as well.

Estrella-
It's funny you should say that because I wanted it to be a music room. I was wishing I played the piano and was pouting that I read books instead. But then I realized I could do a library and all was right with the world!

CAE-
I know - my novels are stored in some shelves, under beds, in closets, in baskets. So a room full of shelves meant just for them leaves me breathless with anticipation.

PhysioProf-
I told you - you've ruined the word tucking for me. Complain all you like - I know you like words that rhyme with fuck - but I'm going to keep editing it out.

Anonymous said...

Damn you! You shrewdly outwitted me!

post-doc said...

Industry has made me ruthless. I own the competitive landscape!

Maude said...

ah... i, too, have that same dream.

Anonymous said...

ooh, a library, that is my dream too! or actually, to have the tyoe of library that Beast had in Beauty and the Beast that was so lovely. and so many books! love the picture of your house by the way!

Amanda said...

Oh I love the idea of a library. Unfortunately there isn't room for one in our house at the moment. Sigh.

Post a Comment