Monday, July 21, 2008

Bloggy Bragging

"Excuse me," I said at the front desk, glancing around the lobby of my temporary home with a resigned sigh. "I'm Katie. I wondered if there was mail for me?"

It turned out that there was a stack of correspondence requiring my attention - my new ATM card, some junk mail that got forwarded, a deed packet from my relocation company and the textbook for which I contributed a chapter. I flipped to the pages that contained words I wrote, looked at the images I created that were tucked neatly amidst the words describing them and smiled.

"I'm familiar with your work," I told a visiting scientist today.

"Really? Well, I hope that's good," he replied, British and charming.

"It is," I smiled and spent part of my afternoon listening to his plans and problems and proposals. I wondered if I'd miss it - I keep waiting to mourn my research career, frankly - and I don't think I do. Maybe there are random moments, but then I think of papers or grants and shudder. But I am pleased with this chapter. And waiting for decision on two papers currently under review.

Then there's this pretty award Brigindo offered, which made me quite happy. It originates on the arte y pico blog, and I get to offer it to five blogs I think are pretty. (I think. I adore Brigindo and am flattered she likes the photos I'm often embarrassed to take - it's a bit odd to stop the car, get out and take a couple pictures - but I often screw up the rules of these memes.) When it comes to blogs that are beautiful though, I guess I don't know. I stick to feed readers lately becuase it's faster, so I had to stop to think about some of these.

  1. JustMe moved to Wordpress and the new site is lovely. Perhaps she could use an award to welcome her - and her always sincere posts - to a new home.
  2. Wayfarer Scientista writes beautifully and often includes pretty pictures. I sometimes giggle and often read sentences twice because I so enjoy her word choices.
  3. DayByDay is stunning. She has an adorable baby who remains in my prayers every night and is happily back at work. I can't even page through photos of her Wee One without getting all weepy - I'm in awe of how much that little girl is loved and appreciated, even as I think of my own nieces and very much I love them.
  4. TitleTroubles (my Favorite Friend) has populated my work computer with screen saver pictures via her flickr account. She's writes with great talent and humor and takes impressive pictures. And I miss her very much.
  5. Psych Post Doc is my last pick. From experience, I know it's a bit scary to share a job search with the world when a little scared that it might not end up how you want. Given that she's also leaving academic research, I'm looking forward to reading about it and am thrilled she found a job that has her excited about starting.
In other news, I think I'm getting settled here. I worked 9 hours today without being utterly miserable! I remembered where I put my car in the parking lot! I'm returning calls and feeling reasonably steady. For today.

2 comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

Thanks for picking me Katie! My blog is so not pretty but I appreciate the sentiment.

I've actually been thinking about how I love the idea of adding pictures that capture each post. Maybe I'll start doing just that.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, thank you so much katie!!

Post a Comment