Friday, August 04, 2006

When in doubt, shop.

I have nothing to say here. It's shaping up to be a busy weekend, personally and professionally. That's unusual for me, and Rachel - a friend from undergrad - is staying with me for part of next week. So the normal cleaning must be upgraded to 'show off the house' cleaning.

Since I'm in 'busy, busy, busy!' mode, I can't think of anything to write. But there are always products I'd recommend, so we'll go with that.

I ordered Bare Minerals (from Sephora, actually) a couple months ago. I love it more than I can tell you. Now, it's more than I typically spend on make-up. But I often skipped make-up completely. Had those mornings when I stared in the mirror, shook my head, grabbed a ponytail holder and thought I'd hope for something better tomorrow. On those ugly days, I saw no point in trying to cover flaws and look overly made-up. I'm loathe to sport the 'trying too hard' look, so I'll just go with a 'take it or leave it' approach instead.

But then my little powders arrived with their lovely brushes (I bought the kit), and even knowing I was staying in for the evening, I scampered to my bathroom to swirl, tap and buff.

"Nice." I said softly. It's not at all obvious - very soft and natural. So I put Light, Mineral Veil and Warmth neatly on the counter and put the brushes in a drawer underneath. I'd quickly swirl/tap/buff each morning and noticed that my skin was seeming to improve. No little blemishes at all and the sunscreen in the foundation was keeping my nose from freckling too much in the miserable heat! Delightful!

But I've had several ugly days since Bare Minerals has entered my life. But it's so easy to do this make-up that I feel lazy skipping it. Plus, there's no fear of being overly intense with it. I honestly have stared at myself and tried to figure out why I don't like what reflects back, then deciding I'd simply put on make-up until I felt better. But I take my concealer brush and fix those circles that often appear under my eyes then tap the magical powder into the lid and work with the Handy Buki brush (because I don't want to screw around on ugly days - I'm very intense like that) until I'm content. It takes no more than a minute before I start feeling a bit better. (I really think it's the under eye circles - I've never been happy with trying to cover them before, but this works shockingly well.)

So after I'm finished with my 3 minute routine, I'm often motivated to do something with my hair, find a pretty outfit and prance off to work. It really helps a lot, but you should keep in mind that I'm quite materialistic and like that this make-up makes me look a bit prettier.

I was all set to leave it at that, but I realized that I haven't gone without it since I bought it. Quick trip to the grocery store? I put on make-up. Wince when I look in a mirror for some reason? Out come the brushes! Working from home? Sure, but I'll be wearing pajamas and Bare Minerals. So perhaps I have some kind of addiction.

It is, however, quick and easy and effective. It has helped my skin. It does cover those problem areas really well while also achieving a light, natural look. I like it very much. Just so you know.

Changing topics, I really dislike my local discount stores. They're both inconveniently far away and crowded. I haven't been back to WalMart since I got so upset the last time (not WalMart's fault, obviously. But still - unpleasant memories.) and the route to Target is just annoying. Drugstore.com has enabled me to skip many of those trips. Plus, I get free stuff! I'm wearing my Dove 100% natural beauty t-shirt right now, and though I didn't put on more Bare Minerals after my shower (I'm not that bad - I only do it once a day.), I do feel quite lovely. So, I like the following:
Dove Nutrium soap
Dove facial cleanser
Pantene shampoo and conditioner (I stopped using Pantene - I read somewhere that switching shampoo helps the hair - and couldn't figure out what the deal was with my hair being bad. But I'm back to Pantene and have pledged loyalty because my hair is all shiny, bouncy and well-behaved again.)

I just realized I might be getting old. My excitement over dark circle coverage and the fact that I don't have to stand in line to buy soap and shampoo seems a bit over the top. But that's pretty much all I know tonight.

3 comments:

Repressed Librarian said...

I use Bare Minerals, too (or Bare Escentuals--they are basically the same products), and I love them. They really do reduce breakouts and make your skin look nice.

Sadly, I have an allergic reaction to Dove and Pantene hair products, so I am forced by my body, rather than vanity, to use Aveda :-)

Thanks for this post--I *love* product recommendations!

Repressed Librarian said...

In my earlier comment, when I said Bare Escentuals, I meant Sheer Cover--I *know* that Bare Escentuals makes Bare Minerals, but I'll blame it on the late hour and my sleepiness.

Both Bare Minerals and Sheer Cover have pretty much the same ingredients and use the same swirl/tap/buff idea, but Bare Minerals seems just a bit superior in my opinion.

rented life said...

I've heard about Bare minerals, but I have such poor luck with having something actually clear up my face...something to think about now.

I personally prefer John Freida's shampoos over pantene. Also I highly recommend John Freida's Shine Shocker for Brunette's (it's clear so it doesn't matter what color your hair really it.) Using that regularly means no spilt ends for me, and it's easier to comb.

Post a Comment