Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Question.

If it's really hot - say mid 90s with high humidity - and you had friends in from out of town, what would you decide to do?

Swim? Perhaps you'd shop in a lovely air conditioned environment with cool drinks at the ready? Maybe you'd go to a movie in a nice, climate controlled theater?

Me? I took them to a Civil War battleground. Granted, it wasn't my idea, but I didn't refuse either. So we sweated it out looking at cannons, cotton fields and cemetaries. I started feeling dizzy from the excessive heat and watched the three of us become increasingly irritable. Once we'd been reduced exclusively to glaring and snide comments, I fed my guests and brought them back to my freezing cold home.

Here they were subjected to a thrilled Chienne who missed us terribly while we were gone. (It's good to note that she enjoyed air conditioning and her fill of cold water in our absence - we suffered much more than she did.) While she whined and bounced and presented her head and body for petting, they sleepily fended her off or settled in to cuddle her. I did buy a couple of movies they're too tired to watch, so they've retreated to the guest rooms - with soft, clean sheets I finished laundering early this morning - and I just found a new razor so Rachel's sister, Amy, could shower in my clean guest bathroom. So as I host, I think I'm pretty bad due to the miserable afternoon we spent, but I'm trying to gain back some ground here at home.

The other question to which the title could refer was asked by someone at the office when I happily announced I was heading to the airport to meet a friend.

"A man?" She asked with a smile.

"Nope." I replied cheerfully. "A friend from college and her sister." Then I launched into an explanation of the plans Rachel requested I make. I glared up at the sky on my way to the car though. At some point, I told God, it's just mean. Why do people keep bringing up my lack of love interest?! No! Nobody is coming to see me. I'm working on being happy with what I have - a good friend who might like the Civil War more than she likes me and a blog - than what I don't - a boyfriend arriving for a visit and someone to call when we arrived back from our battleground expedition.

OK, must be social again. Apparently the boyfriend phone calls are over - it's time for me to talk to people in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment