Tuesday, August 22, 2006

New beginning of a different type

I have a flexible schedule and will likely continue to do so in my current job. While I feel a bit small and unimportant lately as many folks in blogland begin teaching their courses, I snuggled into my pillows and slept until 8AM today, walked the dog, showered, read blogs, drank coffee, watched television. Then, at 12:30 in the afternoon, I decided to dress up and go to work.

My commute was a dream, and since I worked late to make up for my belated arrival, the ride home was amazing as well.

I met a woman on my walk to my building. She was scampering around, looking a bit frantic. I smiled at her, making eye contact so she could ask for help if she needed it.

“Do you know where the hospital is?” She asked brightly.

“I’m heading that direction.” I said after nodding at her. “It’s this way.” And I paused to wait for her to follow me.

“Wait. I have to get my husband.” She told me before taking two quick steps in the opposite direction. “Bill!” She called out, and I saw a man a half block away turn and head quickly in our direction. “She knows where the hospital is.” She said, and I watched him make a relieved expression.

“The medical part of campus is relatively large.” I said as we started to walk. “It’s easy to get confused with all the traffic and parking options.”

“We’ve never been here before.” The woman confessed, her accent a bit stronger than I typically hear.

“And I didn’t know where to park.” Bill said, keeping up with our pace while he organized a handful of notes.

The woman – let’s call her Anna – reached over and took his hand, then beamed at me. “We’re having a baby.” She said, nearly breathless with excitement, and I smiled back at her.

“Our daughter is delivering in the hospital.” Bill said, holding Anna’s hand and looking down at the paper he’d placed at the top of his pile. “The entrance is supposed to be near the medical library. The…um…I can’t find the name. I thought I wrote it down...”

While he frowned and freed his other hand to page through his notes again, his wife asked me to hold her purse. I shifted my bag to the other shoulder and carried her brown leather purse as we moved along.

“The library isn’t all that close to the hospital.” I mused. “I’d go in the main entrance and ask at the desk. They’ll be able to direct you to the maternity area. I’ve never been there.”

Anna confirmed they had brought the extra battery for their video camera, then took her purse after thanking me. Bill nodded nervously over my directions before taking Anna’s hand again.

“It’s our first grandchild.” He said, easing into a grin. “We’re excited. I hope we don’t miss it.”

“We’re almost there.” I said, pointing out the entrance about a block away.

“Our son-in-law is from Germany.” Anna told me, looking tremendously excited and nervous as we got closer. I was losing my breath trying to match their pace at this point – thrilled for them, thinking them terribly sweet in their eagerness to be with their daughter and her new baby. “He speaks English really well, but he was excited and his accent was stronger somehow. With getting to the hospital and the baby coming so soon.” She explained.

“We were excited too.” Bill added.

“Of course.” I said, trying not to pant. “I’m heading farther down this street, so you’ll go in those doors and ask at the information desk.”

They looked over their shoulders to thank me as they hurried toward the main entrance.

“Congratulations!” I called out after them, then smiled all the way to the office.

So my day wasn’t consumed with new courses or students or schedules. I did what I always do, though starting later in the day than I normally aim for. But someone had a new beginning. Bill and Anna went to find their daughter after driving, parking, and walking briskly to the hospital. Their daughter and the man she married (from Germany) had their first child. I said a quick prayer that all would go well – healthy baby, happy if exhausted parents, and besotted grandparents.

I think I sometimes get stuck in a negative frame of mind. Feel the research is an overwhelmingly uphill battle. Things are generally difficult and time consuming and flaws are everywhere. When I meet with medical faculty, it’s generally to discuss patients with grave prognoses. People come there to get help, and sometimes it doesn’t work despite all the talent and effort and hope.

But there are success stories – triumph over disease. And the breathless wonder of people rushing to find their way to welcome the newest member of their family. I’m grateful I got to share a few moments with them. It made me quite happy on an otherwise forgettable day.

1 comment:

sheepish said...

That's a cute story.

It's not all fresh flowers and dewy-eyed kittens, really. I'd trade my class (which is still two weeks away), for some solid research time any day. Also?
Monday: Left house at 5:30 p.m. for gelato
Tuesday: Left house at 3:30 p.m. to swim
That's it. Not one foot set into lab until I'm on top of my teaching.

Post a Comment