Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Book meme

Jane tagged me! And, like New Kid, I'm all aflutter. So when the cool kids are playing and specifically ask me to play? I blush and happily scamper over to answer some questions.

1. One book that changed your life?
This has context! If you're going to read this answer, commit to reading the whole answer! And know I'm wincing as I write this. Goodness.

I read Message From Nam (yes, it's Danielle Steele - keep reading, dammit!) when I was in junior high - likely the year I graduated from 8th grade in 1993. I had been reading since I was small and was at the point where I could have headed toward serious novels - beautifully written stories of life and love and exquisite lessons - or fluff. Now Message From Nam could be called fluff but this book Broke My Heart. I cried and cried and cried some more and was left feeling so devastated that I decided I would read for pleasure. It was at this point that I started reading the back cover of books and the endings while still in the bookstore. I couldn't take the emotional torture that some stories bring. I like to say I'm too sensitive, but perhaps I'm just weak.

Regardless, this book shaped my literary future. And since I read a great deal, my choices in books have undeniably changed my life. But in a sweet, funny, romantic way. Nothing profound. Because I might cry if I read those.

2. One book you have read more than once? (Or 12 books...)
I don't borrow books from the library. Ever. I read them all more than once. I love knowing the conclusion (which is why I read it ASAP), but I also love knowing the story and catching all the parts I missed the first time. Really funny dialogue I didn't fully appreciate. A particularly vivid description that was quite important, though I only notice it later on. I also love how certain people or events or television shows remind me of books I read, then I can go search for it, and settle in to read again.

Crap, I think I cheated on this one. Um, if I want something to read again but don't have anything specific in mind, I tend toward Nora Roberts. I like the trilogies, personally. In the Garden, The Chesapeake Bay Saga, Dream Trilogy, Key of Trilogy. I love how the three books connect, yet have their own character. They're quick and easy to read, not overly explicit, yet not overly sad. They end well - I promise. (And I also realize that I didn't name one book - so I went all the way and gave you 12.)

You'll also notice these are all contemporary romances. They also have some small supernatural theme that initally causes me to sigh, but then I find myself riveted and thinking, "That could so happen!" They're good rainy-day books for when you're feeling a bit lazy.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Just one?! Can I also have my laptop?! Will there be wireless? How will I send email?! I'll pay extra for amazon to deliver to my desert island!

I'd take the Bible. I don't read it often, though I've studied several chapters with groups. I find it soothing and peaceful in some sections, confusing and terrifying in others. I think, as with many things, if I spent more time with it, I could really learn a great deal. Plus, I love God a lot, though it doesn't always show. I should read His book more often.

4. One book that made you laugh? (I have 2 - I'm a cheater.)
I laugh a lot - romance novels are good like that. Oh! But there was one line in Son of a Witch (I'm linking to audible since I listened rather than read it) that startled me into prolonged laughter. While I don't want to ruin it for anyone, Liir - the main character - enters a room and is greeted with "I thought you were Grim Death, but now I see it's just that haircut." (I might be paraphrasing a bit - again, I listened to it and didn't read it.) But I was delighted. Giggled over it for some time.

I also love Dorothy Parker for being so sharp and funny.

5. One book that made you cry?
Freaking Message From Nam, but that shouldn't count since I mentioned it already. I cried over The Handmaid's Tale in high school and had vicious nightmares for months. I picked it up because I was obsessed with hockey and Margaret Atwood is from Canada. (See how I try to impress you by noting I've read a real book then take it away by admitting it was sort of by accident? It's sad, really.)

I have also wept over some ill-chosen romance novels. It's at those times I check the ending again to make sure all ends well.

6. One book you wish had been written?
This is going to sound tres pretentious, but I can't quite resist. When I was in college with my girls, we often would sit around, and wonder how - with not so much in common - we had ended up such good friends.

"We should write a book!" Elle would say after something interesting or funny would happen. She was the writer - had files of papers scrawled with black ink. Ideas for poems, comments that struck her as important, moving passages from novels. I would read them and think she was impossibly cool. She paid attention. Was artsy and dressed mostly in black with these boots that took forever to lace up. Yet she also cried all the time, would play with my hair when I was stressed and headachy. Was loving and brilliantly funny and loud.

I would look up from my ever-present homework and smile. "Go ahead." I said easily.

"Katie should write it." Rachel said softly, and I looked over at her as she perched in a chair, some art project spread around her in disarray. Elle nodded, as did Julie as she stopped checking rows of numbers for accounting.

Absurdly flattered, I ducked my head briefly before smiling at all of them. "Why me? I'm not a writer."

"You write." Rachel scoffed.

"You pay the most attention to all of us." Julie said. "Care about what we say."

"You love us most." Elle finished, and cuddled next to me on the couch as I blinked back tears.

"That's so sweet." I murmured. "Thank you."

Would it have been a best-seller? Not so much. Though this blog isn't winning awards either and I love writing it. The moments - whether funny or sad or sweet - tend to fade over time for me. I couldn't write it now if I tried - it just wouldn't flow because I don't recall all the transitions. But I wish I'd written it then - I would very much like to read it.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
I'm sure there is one, but I can't think of anything right now. I told a really long story for question 6 though, so I'm good with skipping this one, right?

8. One book you are currently reading?
Oh, hell. Honestly? I talk all the time about my vast collection of romance novels, so I guess I'll confess. A glance at the floor next to my couch (I read lying down - always on my back with the book held in my right hand while I turn pages with my left. It's why paperbacks are important - anything else is far too heavy) reveals Bad Boys to Go. It's not brilliantly written or particularly sweet or even all that funny. It was bright and yellow and caught my attention yesterday when I was looking for something light to read.

I'm a bit embarrassed...

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
Deep in the Shade of Paradise has been sitting on my table for about a month now. I'm looking forward to reading it, but just haven't found a couple hours to sit and read. I've been moody lately - it hasn't lead to much reading.

10. Now tag five people.
Given that I was so flattered to be tagged, I'm mentioning people. Now, I'll preface it by saying I haven't kept up with this meme. So if you've been tagged already or don't want to play, that's just fine. I don't normally play so I'm not up on all the rules!

How about Lucy, Ceresina, PhD Me, Apparently, Propter Doc, Rented Life and Repressed Librarian? (I know that's too many - see, I don't know how to play! I could name more, but some people are taking breaks or seem to have a great deal going on...)

7 comments:

ceresina said...

Ooh! I love being tagged too! Thanks!
I don't know if this will sound like a compliment or not, but I love the way you admit to reading romance novels. So many people do dismiss them as silly fluff, but there is something so enormously comforting about them.
And you should totally write a book. Maybe not about your high school friends, but you have all the talents to write one.

Jane said...

Thanks for participating! This was a fun list to read---I love the stories behind all of your choices. And I forgive you for breaking the rules. :)

post-doc said...

Ceresina-
I rather like that I read romance novels too, but admitting I do so was good for me. I think the blog has made me more honest overall - accepting of who I really am regardless of the impression I'd rather make. So, yay! :) Looking forward to reading about your books.

Jane-
It was my pleasure! And thank you for letting me break the rules - I fear I do it too often in general so it starts to sneak in all the time.

Repressed Librarian said...

Thanks for tagging me (it's my first time being tagged!). I will get to it soon, I promise :-)

MapleMama said...

I love number 6! You should have written that book. Just reading that one little vignette almost made ME cry!

Lucy said...

I love being tagged, too! Thanks! I came back to comment, because I thought I would've posted the meme by now, but I'm still trying to think of answers (I may be taking it a little too seriously).

ceresina said...

I did the meme!

Post a Comment