Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Retaining sanity (or Yet another reason I'm not cool)

There are a few tricks that work well for me in times of stress. I wanted to share this particular one in hopes of amusing some of you (and making others wonder how in the world I made it through grad school). So this grant I wrote? It lived on the desktop of my PowerBook for some time. I'm getting ready to move it into another folder and remove the Oh My Rabbit icons, but wanted to show (and explain!) them to you first.

We'll begin at the top left.

I wrote the Candidate section first, so I was tired - hence the sleepy bunny and toothbrush. We're just getting ready. The first section of the research proposal was daunting - the bunny pulls on his ears. But then things get easier! The rabbit begins to read the document thoughtfully.

I started with a friend's proposal for a different (though similiar in type) grant. So I was hiding behind another rabbit. Carrie's grant got rejected, so that's a nod to the anger that lies behind the polite "your point is well taken," and "We appreciate your comment and the appropriate changes have been made." lines that must go in responding to reviewers. This is by far my favorite of my icons - all of which delight me significantly. The next few are rather random - cute, certainly, but with no real symbolic value. But note that the rabbit does show a picture of his family for my Key Personnel document. Clever, right?

The last icon is the NIH - note that the bunny taunts the dog with the bone - making the adorable little dog believe that through enough time, energy and effort he will receive said bone. But perhaps not. Only the rabbit knows.

My advice in higher education at any level? Find something that makes you happy - friends, books, television, video games, music - anything that works for you. For me, sometimes it's silly icons. They really did help. But now I'm taking them down and shamelessly putting up Charlie's most recent offering (because I love it ever so much) and moving on.

Oh, and if you would like the rabbit icons for yourself, they can be found here (for Windows). Or here for Macs. There are new rabbit icons here!

2 comments:

CharlieAmra said...

I think you just made my day! I am very happy that you are using one of my paintings as your desktop!

post-doc said...

Same goes, JustMe. So pleased to have you around!

Aw, Charlie, I'm delighted that you're happy. Every time I close documents, I look at the poppies and wish I could paint so people would think I was all talented and cool. Because in spite of some questionable college loyalties, I do think you're quite talented and cool.

Post a Comment