Saturday, April 22, 2006

All better

It seems wrong to leave up my Hi. Please feel sorry for me. Thanks. post on top when I'm so much more cheerful today. I'm good, actually. Busy, working, curled up on my loveseat after mowing my lawn and cleaning my house.
I'm really struggling with writing here lately. It's not that I'm out of stories! I just don't know how to present them properly. But I'll get it. As soon as I finish my paper for work. Unfortunately, that's yet another story that I'm having trouble telling.

It strikes me that my problems are very minor. I like my job, and have a couple years before I’d like to look for another. I’m healthy, as are my friends and family. I have more money than I need (though not as much as I’d like). I can’t think of any item that I truly require and can’t afford. That’s not nothing.

I get to think about higher-order concepts. How I’m contributing to society – if I’d like to spend my summer doing tutoring for younger students at day camps or homeless women downtown. Where I’m planning to travel past my trip west next month. Which books I’d like to read next – I haven’t purchased a novel in 3 weeks! When I should get my hair cut again. If I’m going to get married someday. When I might want to start having children. Why I want children in the first place. Which story to put on my blog next - which I will type on my PowerBook while listening to my iPod in my air conditioned house.

The very fact that I have time and energy and resources to consider these questions with such depth and passion indicates my life is amazing.

Having said that, sadness isn’t restricted to those who deserve it. I allow myself some time to mope, but try to pull back from it as soon as possible. Writing and reading sweet comments helps me do that. So thank you for indulging me.

5 comments:

CharlieAmra said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Now go to the book store and buy yourself a nice-perfect-for-summer reading type book.

btw, your word verification does not like me and always makes me do at least two attempts before it will let me post. This ain't you getting back at my netscape account, now is it? ;-)

post-doc said...

Aw, word verification is getting revenge for your mean email account? I love the idea that my blog tries to protect me. :) I'm a little worried about how much I must comment due to my speed and skill at the word verification step, actually. I'm quite talented.

I will go book shopping! That's excellent advice. Thanks, Charlie.

Margaret said...

I'm glad you're feeling better-- but please don't worry about being "mopey" or whatever on your blog. That's what a blog is for! You don't only need to entertain us.

I'll be very curious to read your post(s) on the "married and having children" question...

post-doc said...

Thanks much, guys. I find it frustrating when I not only fail to entertain you, but bore even myself. I am better though.

I am a nice academic! But I have selfish reasons (it makes me feel all kinds of good about myself) so I'm not sure if I deserve much credit. :)

ScienceWoman said...

minor problems = "minor revisions" See, you've perfectly titled your blog. Don't feel bad about posting both your ups and downs. If we didn't like reading what you have to say, we wouldn't be here. And we are.

Post a Comment