Saturday, April 15, 2006

Look at how pretty I am!

If you're reading on bloglines (or some other reader that only shows you my text), click on over for a second.
See? Isn't that worth it? And for those of you who actually visit, aren't you glad you're here?

Not so impressed? Oh. How about it I tell you I spent nearly 4 hours on my new header? Actually, the Photoshop part was fun - it was fixing the [insert adjective form of your favorite curse word] template! I knew I could do it - after all, I have significant programming experience and the templates are relatively user-friendly. But if you want evidence of my sadly lacking skills? I needed 2 different sample templates with pictures included to try (and fail and fail and fail) to get things to look right. And I still had to preview it something like 40 times.

Why put so much time in for a new header picture? I'm sick. Miserably, pathetically ill. Except it's at the comes and goes stage, so I go between writhing in pain to being pretty bored just lying around. It's hard to focus though - I keep throwing books down because I'm not entertained, and I can't seem to finish any posts I start writing. I do enjoy commenting right now, but nobody's giving me much to read! So as I sit in my cavelike home (very dark and as cold as possible with air conditioning), I needed something to do.

In times of boredom, I change my template. So there are a few new links (I have a post on this coming up though), and new colors and a new header picture! I'm quite pleased. Because, after all, who doesn't like being pretty?! Though I will take suggestions, especially since I fixed this using IE (Windows in my office) and think viewing it with Firefox (Mac on my laptop) is infinitely better. After all, if a friend wears a bad shade of eyeshadow or her hair is flipping all funny, wouldn't you tell her? Especially if she mistakenly thinks it's lovely? I thought so.

10 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

Your new header is indeed beautiful [will you make me one? :)] And I knew you couldn't stay away from your computer all weekend.

post-doc said...

Thank you! And it's shameful that I couldn't last without being online, isn't it? I like to think that if I'd been well and made the trip to my folks', I would have pulled it off. But probably not.

I could make you a header! Do you want one?! :) You have no idea how badly my template code looks though - I got it to work, but it really isn't pretty.

phd me said...

Lovely! I heartily approve of your efforts (and every single time I attempt to change something in the template, no matter how simple, it takes too darn long and too many previews, so bravo for sticking with it).

post-doc said...

JustMe - I still have the text. It'll come back eventually. Thank you for the compliment!

PhD me - I know! I'm so glad I'm not alone in struggling with template changes. Though I was victorious this time, it actually wasn't my first attempt. :)

EthidiumBromide said...

Very nice! Impressed you stuck with it (must really be sick) - after I finally did all the changes to my template a month or two ago I realized that if you view it with IE it looks funny since IE doesn't allow transparancy like Firefox, but after all the effort I had no motivation left to change it again, and thus it has stayed. Perhaps you have inspired me to try something different... but only after finals and my apartment is finally fixed, that is.

post-doc said...

I am sick! Still feeling terrible.

Yours was one of the sites that made me jealous enough to spend the time trying to include my header picture. So I had to go look at you on IE. It's still lovely, actually. Yes, the transparancy is very cool, but it looks fine (not as good, but Firefox is so obviously superior anyway) without it. So there's no funny hair flip for you. :)

Good luck with finals and the apartment! I'm keeping up with your site now, so I'll be sure to get news and redesigns as they're available.

Mon said...

Looks very nice indeed. Hope you are feeling some relief today.

CharlieAmra said...

See, this is what happens when you tell us that you are taking the weekend off. We, meaning I, do not check out your blog figuring that you are well spending the weekend with family. Then I check out your blog only to find out that you are home sick, and I did not get the chance to say something nice like, "rest and get plenty of liquids." So rest, and try to get plenty of liquids.

So feel better. I like the new look of your blog.

post-doc said...

Charlie, really. You thought I'd make it 3 whole days without being online? Even I knew it wasn't going to happen.

Your get well wishes and compliment on my new look are late, but quite appreciated. :)

ScienceWoman said...

Of course I want a new banner - it's been on my to-do list for a long while. I just can't decide what to do (it has to be thematic you know)and the thought of fighting with the template again...ugh! But if someone really wanted to make me a banner, the template fighting would be ever so much easier to bear.

But one other thing, make your banner clickable so that we can get back to your main page from both the bottom and the top of the post.

Post a Comment