Thursday, April 27, 2006

More snippets

How to insert a header image and link header to main page
I like my header. I have plans to make another one in Photoshop and put it up at some point. But putting it in the template was, for me, a bitch. Seriously.

The problem with that is that it shouldn’t have been hard! But I must have looked in the wrong place and guessed wrong (over and over and over). So I’m going to tell you how I did it. It may not be elegant, but it works. And I hope none of you have to suffer as I did.

Note that I’ve changed the width of my website (way back when) to 810 pixels. So I made my header in Photoshop to be that width as well. Then I time stamped a post back in December (to bury it in the archives) so that the picture was online and could be called by the template.

Near the top of the template, there’s the blog header definition. I have it going like this:







So then you’re all good and your picture should show up, but your title and description are going to be over it. That’s not cool. So scroll way down past all the definitions. I did something like this. The surrounding lines are given for context.

So I took out the title and description stuff and added the cool link. ScienceWoman suggested it, and it took me forever to place it right, but I finally got it! So now you can click on my header and return to the main page at any time! Yay!

I realize that this should not have taken hours. But it did and I will now share my knowledge.

I tried to post this last night, but including html in an actual post makes everything go to hell. I’m not sure why I fixated on including it, but it seemed to me that there had to be some way to share the information without messing everything up.

So I woke up this morning and thought, “Picture files! I could screen capture then put in the text. No, you couldn’t copy and paste, but it’s not like anyone would want to use my method anyway!” So this is what you get. This is all to inform you that you can (and should! It’s fun!) click on my header. Plus, when I try to do this again, perhaps it will go a bit more smoothly. Thank you for indulging me here.

Oh, and if it's not obvious, I'm not so talented at programming. So if something is ugly or doesn't function in your browser, please feel free to let me know. I will cry, then become rabidly angry, but then I'll try to fix it. I appreciate your patience during this difficult time.

Laundry!
I loved playing with laundry detergent when I was little. We had a big box of Cheer, and I thought of it as sand that smelled really good. It even came with a little scoop! I would always go downstairs with Mom when she did laundry so I could play in the white powder. I have since either grown out of this phase or acknowledged that the liquid detergent isn't as fun. More likely it's the former, but let's pretend I'm a grown up.

Earth Day was this past Sunday, I believe. While my environmental involvement was more to get a boy, I do try to be a bit responsible. Recycle, conserve energy when I can, buy eco-friendly products.

To that end, I highly recommend method laundry detergent. The bottle is small, the scent wonderful and the instructions are adorable. I need the high efficiency stuff for my lovely front-loading washer, so I bought this. I’m quite fond of it.

On dying alone. Exhausted and alone.
I slept better last night, but it was still of below average quality.

I am extremely sensitive to sleep loss.

Elle, one of my roommates in college, was weird about food. She would get hungry and you had about an hour to provide something to eat. Then she would rapidly get irritable – snap at anyone or anything. After about 30 minutes of this delightful behavior, she’d despair over all that was wrong in the world. At one point, I was urging her to drink her soda like a good girl as we waited at a restaurant with Rachel, who was ever so helpfully rolling her eyes. Elle put her head down on the table and gave up.

“We’re never going to eat.” She said softly, sad but resigned. “I liked eating, but it’s not going to happen again, so we should just accept it and move on.” I patted her head, pushed her hair back from her face and looked around to see if anyone had noticed her behavior. I don't enjoy being embarrassed.

Rachel huffed out a sigh – it was ridiculous - but I was sympathetic. She was sincerely upset and I felt badly for her. So I asked for dinner rolls and gently bullied her into having one when she wrinkled her nose in refusal. Then she was fine, smiling sheepishly as we ate dinner and teased her about her antics.

I feel the exact same way now! I was awake last night, refusing to get out of bed in hopes that I’d fall asleep out of boredom if nothing else, and was entertaining myself with the thought that I’d certainly die alone. Nobody to love me, sleep next to me, have children with me. At least I have a house, I tried to console myself. A job, friends, hope that I might find love.

Lack of sleep has stolen that hope. I find myself despondent, wanting someone to pat me on the head and offer me the equivalent of a dinner roll. I would refuse, of course. More dramatic that way. Expound upon the logic behind my never getting married. Sigh deeply and shake my head sadly.

I woke up this morning and sighed because I was still tired, but wandered down the hall to start coffee, backtracking to brush my teeth. I caught myself thinking, “I’m never going to sleep. I liked sleep, but it’s not going to happen again, so I should just accept it and move on.”

Then I smiled. So if I get all melodramatic, please know that I’m just sleepy. And if you have advice on how to get some rest, please feel free to pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment