Monday, August 04, 2008

The Cause of the Effect

I picked my college major because I had a crush on a hockey player.

I moved here because I was in love with a man.

I’ve been blessed in the lack of severe punishment for making big decisions in an utterly stupid manner.

Once I fall for a man – be it a silly crush or absolute devotion – I’m pretty much stuck with the feeling for a long time. I must be afflicted with whatever infects women in romance novels and movies and soap operas. I believe that people entered my life for a reason. That my college crush had some huge meaning in my life and would reappear at some point. Turns out I just had a longtime and intense fixation on a cute boy. No meaning. No happy ending. Just a random mixture of hormones and infatuation and an overactive imagination.

It sometimes takes me a long time to learn, so I did much the same thing during my post-doc. I loved someone a lot, could picture a future with him and was absolutely heartbroken when it didn’t work out. I still think of him – wonder how he is and hope that he’s happy. In all honesty, I understand what happened and nod in resigned acceptance that he doesn’t want any further contact. I’m a bit intense – whether in love or angry and heartbroken – and recovering from that into some friendly relationship is pretty tough.

So I get it. But I don’t like it. I’m sure none of you have noticed, but I rather like attention. I want people to want to know me, especially those I’ve decided to love. And the fact that he was capable of easily ignoring me pricked at my attention, like a mosquito bite that I knew I should leave alone, but I continued to pick at. Then it scarred over and each time I looked at it, I’d wonder why he didn’t want to at least exchange some emails! Or talk on the phone! So I’d try just once more. I mean, if we couldn't talk any more, could I at least be in the one to make that call?

It turned out to be a regional skill, this ability to ignore me. So I happened to want a job in the city where the former object of my affection lived. And Adam – the one who was hiring for the job – just happened to ignore most of my calls and emails.

It irritated me.

I have this feeling I’m going to end up alone. And while it makes me sad, it seems to be the way of my life so I try not to dwell on it. But professionally, I’m golden. People are impressed by how I think and act. I’m good at what I do. And, dammit, I deserved this interview! Plus, I thought mildly, I could maybe make dinner plans. Try just one last time to make contact and see if a friendship could be salvaged.

I was a pleasantly surprised when I made the trip to my current location to meet with Adam, et al. I got the interview, I preened, and carefully composed an oh-so-casual email to ask a man to dinner the night before my meetings. I sighed when I read his response, unsurprised and remarkably unscathed when he politely declined the invitation. I expected the same from the interview, honestly, and focused on my cool rental car and the blessedly chilly weather.

At least I tried, I soothed myself as I read a book and ironed my clothes while I waited for room service in my pajamas. I was in a different hotel several months ago, not all that far from here, and spent the evening relaxed and alone rather than aflutter across a table from someone I likely would have fallen for again. I was equally relaxed the next day, being charming and casual before flying home after shaking enough hands and answering the requisite questions.

I took the job because it was my only option, not because I was still chasing a boy. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have, unfortunately – it’s not outside the realm of possibilities. But, for the record, and in this particular case, I took the job because I needed one. And I thought I’d be good in this position.

As I was walking Chienne this evening, I thought of motivation behind persistent decisions and how oddly life works out sometimes. Kim is adorable and helpful, calling to report that she’d come up twice to walk with my dog and wondered if Chienne could come to her room for a bit tomorrow so they could spend more time together. I went to work despite a nagging headache and am starting to feel like I’m actually contributing rather than just taking up space.

So it worked out, I decided. The reasons behind why I continued to bug Adam may have been ridiculous, but the effect means more than the cause. And, sometimes, when I start to feel overly pleased with myself for landing in such a nice spot? I remind myself of why I pushed so hard to make Adam meet me. I grin sheepishly, thank God for keeping track of the foolish, and go on about my day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am convinced that people grossly overestimate the extent to which "reasons" underlie their choices in life. In my view, people make decisions almost wholly for mysterious unconscious reasons, and then make up a bunch of shit after the fact to explain the decisions to themselves.

In light of this, I think your flippant attitude towards your "reasons" is a good one.

H said...

I have been prone to wild crushes. I always knew they were fantasies and as I got older, learned to enjoy them as such (mostly). I have never made a life-decision on such a thing. I have actually chosen based on my available options and where I wanted to be for location and opportunity. In truth I doubt it matters. I wonder if I made the right choice coming here. There are good things, and bad things, and I feel stuck. My other choices, that I turned down for perfectly rational reasons might have ultimately been better ones.

On the romance front, I am very very far from an expert, being pretty much entirely an outside observer, but having met you IRL, I would say that you might do best meeting someone IRL, becoming friends, and having that drift into romance. *smiles* You are somewhat different IRL than you are in your blog.... more ironic and witty perhaps, maybe less girly.... in any case enough dichotomy that a relationship initiated online, or from a distance might not work as a result.

Anonymous said...

The world IS randomness. It IS chaos. Humans try to make sense of it all by assigning reasons behind the machinations, but it's really all chance. And isn't that beautiful? That all that chance that created our entire earth is possible and active in your life? You never know what's around the corner.

That's my perspective, anyway. Love you!

- A

microbiologist xx said...

I stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago and I have really enjoyed reading it. I also wanted to say that I admire your honesty. Many of the topics you write about can be very difficult to admit to yourself, let alone a bunch of strangers.

post-doc said...

PhysioProf:
I think this applies well to many people, but I'm often very aware of what's driving my compulsion to do certain things. We could argue about whether that's 'a bunch of shit' regardless of timing, but I'd rather accept your approval of my attitude since it happens pretty rarely.

H:
I enjoy my crushes for the most part, but it bothers me when I cling to them for years. But, happy as I am right now, I think there's a good chance I'll look back at some point and wonder if I made the right choice.

I do hope you find a way to unstick yourself. I don't like thinking about you wondering if you're in the right spot, especially since you're the third person I've actually met and adored. :)

A:
Love you too!

Microbiologist xx:
Thank you for reading and for the comment! This one was tough to start and I considered it for a long time before writing it. But once I get the first paragraph written, it's easy to post here. Which likely says a good deal about my audience as well as my attitude.

Psych Post Doc said...

Um.. it wasn't your only option, but it does seem it was the best one for you.

In terms of the reasons behind the decision, I pretty much agree with PP and there is lots of psychological research behind it. We aren't really aware of the reasons behind much of what we do.

Post a Comment