Saturday, August 30, 2008

Gutsy

I delight in people who - by some action or phrase - make me blink in surprise that someone was brave enough to say something that's true and important, but perhaps a bit uncomfortable. Given that I may be a bit too free in what I write and say, it seems I'd start being a bit more sensible about this habit.

The saving grace is that when I've become most vulnerable and honest, I've received the most lovely responses. People seem to stop and read more carefully. They write comments and emails that are both comforting and informative and often reveal some rarely-divulged experiences of their own. So I think the posts that are a bit hard to write are often the most rewarding. Given that I've been rather superficial and boring of late as I buy and sell houses, settle in to a busy schedule in industry and sleep, I have noticed a few posts of late that I thought were surprising and important.

Friend wrote the first, discussing academic suicides. It seems to me like Former Institution has seen more than its share of loss. Said opinion breaks my heart since I liked and respected many people there. I don't know what to comment in response to her thoughts, but I did think they were well written and worth considering.

ScienceWoman provided the second in an honest explanation of personal circumstances. I've always been impressed with her, and, having written some soul-baring posts myself, I know it's hard. I also think it's rewarding and love that she opened a door to a space where people can share similar struggles.

Lastly - good things come in threes, yes? - Gaussian Noises is an all too infrequently updated blog. This is evidenced by a post I hadn't written but I've considered discussing the temptation of cheating. I often thought it would be so nice to just nudge numbers and call it done. But I would sigh and decide it was too important - I respected my collaborators and wanted to publish something useful and simply didn't want to succeed in that particular way. But I thought

1 comment:

Scartaris said...

Why, thank you. My blog started out with much fewer posts about my personal experiences, and I think it was through reading courageous blogs such as yours that I came around to sharing more of that.

Even though you have to tread more carefully these days, it's still enjoyable to read about your transition to Industry.

Post a Comment