Friday, March 30, 2007

But

My chapter is coming along - it's becoming very readable and, I think, useful. I'm pleased with it despite some problems in getting the last piece of analysis to work right. It's also a bit short - I'll work on adding another technique or more description to it this weekend.

I mowed the jungle that my lawn had become yesterday. It took hours as I inched through the too-tall grass and weeds, hoping the mower wouldn't stutter to a stop, requiring me to drag it to the patio and restart it. I took Chienne for a walk this morning and was pleased at how nice it looks now - all short and clean and smelling of cut grass.

Friend returned last night - at my request - and we had brownies with caramel. That was nice. The chocolate and the not being alone.

I'm heading north this weekend to spend several days with my parents. I'm stressed about being away, but it should be good for me to see them.

I'm busy - data to analyze, forms to revise, meetings to attend. I'd rather be busy than not - it makes time go faster.

But. I would like to curl up in a ball and hope nobody notices me. I wish it were dark and rainy and I could stay home today and wallow in sadness. I'm really trying to cope through this particular episode - retain some functionality, keep doing my job, taking care of daily tasks - but the effort is rather extreme in some moments. I'm tired. And sad. And I want this to stop being so hard right now.

6 comments:

MapleMama said...

It sounds like you've got plenty to work to keep you busy, but a trip north, and a change of scenery, might help change your mood a little. It always helps me.

Sorry I've been MIA. I have not forsaken you...I have been reading your posts everyday in Feedburner.

Have a wonderful trip - and best wishes.

MapleMama said...

P.S.
I LOVE your spring blog template! Wonderful pictures1

Lucy said...

*hugs* I hope it gets easier very soon. You deserve a rest.

Earnest English said...

Post-Doc, I'll be very interested to see how you fare with your family during this weekend of freedom. I'm so possessed by the diss and new deadline that I just want them all the go away. And I LIKE this time of year. Waaa. Let us know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better, soon! I know how hard it is sometimes to get one's mind off things like that. I, too, have a tendency to associate a very negative event that happened to me a while ago with the time of year that it occurred, and it just gets me so down. Unfortunately, I think I have a tendency to revel in my sadness. But, it will pass, and you will find someone or something that makes you happy, eventually. Just know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

The Contessa said...

This too shall pass....

Have a safe an wonderful trip home.

Post a Comment