Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Third time's the charm - The Plan: Month 3

Problem 1: Location
Curses, foiled again, phooey, etc. Part 1 of this solution was to leave within 1 year. (Abandoned in month 2). Part 2 was to decide against rewriting the grant. Abandoned in month 3. So… I think we’re down to 6 problems because this one is an unsolvable. At least in its current incarnation. I’m dropping it from the list.

Problem 2: Health
Huh. I need to reorder my problems so I get off to a more promising start on these updates. I ate vegetables. (A few times. I can’t really remember, but I’m sure it happened.) I still take morning walks, though I missed more days this past month than any other. I did aerobics. (Twice. Over the whole month.) I even ate yogurt! (Five times? Maybe 6?)

So! Similar goals! Yogurt in the morning – I do well on days that happens and I rather like the Yoplait Whips. Exercise three times a week in the evenings – whether at home or at the gym.

The trick is actually doing it this month. Perhaps the idea that Health is being promoted to Problem 1 next month will motivate me a bit.

On the positive side, the therapy has begun. The terror of talking to someone about my problems has eased and I now look forward to my Monday sessions. The more I speak to him, the more I get the feeling that Dr. Counselor isn’t so bad at his job. Plus, totally free therapy is nice. And I do continue to take Celexa faithfully. I believe that I shall someday get better.

Problem 3: God
Oh, yay! A good one! I only had to attend a single of my two prospective churches before happily settling in. I’m meeting Pastor for coffee next week and wake up on Sunday morning (save this past one – I didn’t feel well) eager to attend worship services.

The plan from here? Attend regularly, consider becoming a member, seriously consider joining a Bible study.

Problem 4: Professional
Deep breath. Push away the negative, seek and embrace the positive…
Project M – I’m currently making the required revisions on the funding application, I’m in close contact with the collaborators (all of whom I adore), and once we have money, we hit the ground running. I’m excited about this. I know! It’s shocking that work should make me smile! But this could be my pet project.
Project X – I have the forms completed, but still need to finalize protocol and do a trial run. No recruitment yet, and I don’t have high hopes. This is a rather crushing disappointment as I don’t see the patient population showing up.
Project P – I’ve decided to focus my department seminar on this project and have an extensive list of recent papers to read and summarize. We deal with patient data in the next couple of weeks and I’m concerned but not panicked. I think we can pull something off. I hope.
Project F – Second revisions are in on the last thesis paper. I actually think they’ll get past reviewers and into a good journal. (Please, God, let that be true.) No news on Project H – not sure how often I can ask about the progress. People should let me know so I don’t have to pester them!
Project B – Slow. The methodology keeps changing and I can’t get a firm answer on where to go next. Developing my own plan would require more work than I’m willing to do, so it’s just on the list, languishing away.
Project A – I still haven’t screwed it up! I’ve made a good impression on a tough MD, contacts in industry that might help me out someday and actually like having something that I haven’t made all icky and have to fix.

Wow – that was pretty good! Yay for me!

Problem 5: Social
In an attempt to multi-task, I’ll say that joining a Bible study could be counted as social. I’m not sure I’ll get that done with the holidays approaching, but let’s call it part of The Plan.

I think I’m on the verge of having actual dates with eHarmony boys, though I could be wrong (and part of me hopes I am). I’m not sure I’m ready or open to anything, but I kind of miss dating. Being pretty and nervous, then coming home to giggle and remember how men aren’t always that great after all. Plus, bad dates are good blog material. And good dates? It’s been a long time since I’ve been kissed, folks. It’d be nice if that happened again.

Problem 6: Family
Thanksgiving was exquisite. I loved being home and miss Little One terribly. I wish I lived closer.

I was talking to Mom on Sunday – she’s going to bake cookies this weekend. After spending Saturday helping Cousin, I want desperately to be in that kitchen where I grew up, giggling over misshapen products and worrying over the timing of when batches come out of the oven. It’s just too difficult and long a trip. But I do miss them. They miss me. It’s sad, but it’s also OK.

We talk on the phone. We send email. I get to see Cousin and her family, which is important to me. As Little One grows up, I think she’ll come visit. I wish I were farther north. I don’t see how that’s possible right now. So I’ll make the best of what I do have. For right now.

Problem 7: Selfish
Meeting 3 was today with my tutoring group. They’re actually too bright for me. The games we play – apart from the difficult Find that Number – are far too simple for them. There’s talk of switching students, though I hate to see any of them go, or I’ll come up with something more challenging for them.

I’m listening to the Iraq Study Group Report (free to audible.com subscribers!) on my commutes and am very worried about what I’m learning. Being a responsible citizen – to me – requires knowledge, then some sort of action. I’m working on the knowledge right now, though it’s scary for me to care about much.

I think The Plan and I are learning about each other, and though we don't like everything we discover, we're making a good faith effort to stay together. Plus, I really do think about having to post these updates and it provides some much-needed motivation. So I guess I still love The Plan very much.

3 comments:

H said...

Truly admirable. I need to try making a list again. *sighs*

Jane said...

Sounds like this was a great month for you overall. I've really enjoyed reading about this part of your life. Good luck with Month 4!

Anonymous said...

yay, this is good! i'm so glad you found a church and therapy is going well, and well, everything!

Post a Comment