Friday, December 15, 2006

Internal dialogue

My back hurts.

Well, at least we came to seminar! We saw our new favorite person, got free lunch and can enjoy our soda while we listen to this talk.

I do like her – what a sweetheart.

Did you notice we don’t have to reschedule our talk? Do you think she’ll just forget all about it?!

Now my ear hurts. Freaking cold.

OK, but it’s good we came! We donated to the departmental charity. Important people noted our presence.

I shifted positions, but my back still hurts. I think my ear is starting to throb.

It’s been almost an hour – the talk will be over soon.

Do you think I could hit him with my shoe if I threw it from here?

***************************

I have a question.

Ask it.

If you were going to have a line drawing of a breast in your seminar…

Uh huh.

Would you add a nipple?

No.

So let’s say you decided to add a nipple – against your better judgment, obviously. Would you make it a gigantic pink nipple in an otherwise black and white figure?

No.

I can’t stop looking at it.

Tacky.

But…why? Why so huge? And pink? It’s just unnecessary.

Let’s forget about it.

I’ll probably have dreams about it. The giant, pink nipple will haunt me endlessly. Look at it!

It’s gone – new slide. Let’s speak of other things.

I still see it in my head.

***************************

Let’s think about how pretty I am!

OK!

I like the corduroy jumper. It’s so festive with its green color and shiny buttons! It’s probably 10 years old – I think I wore it in high school. Definitely in undergrad. It’s so cute though!

It works particularly well with the white shirt. Who knew that sheer button downs are ideal for jumper outfits?

Brilliant.

Indeed.

Did you notice how the buttons of the shirt line up with the buttons on the jumper? It’s adorable!

Cute as a button. A shiny, jumper button!

The necklace is lovely too.

And the loafers! Absolute perfection!

Hair is curled.

Make up is beautiful.

Good call on the eyebrow maintenance this morning.

You know the best part of this outfit?

I do.

It’s the pockets. I can carry all sorts of stuff around! Keys, pens, my USB drive. Post-its of things to do. The money we brought to donate. I even put Wite Out in there when I went to the other office!

Adorable and functional!

I think we’re a geek.

Oh, without question.

***************************

My back really does hurt.

When we get back to our desk, we should finish up with Project A.

I should schedule a massage. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a massage.

We need to write the methods for Project B.

I wonder if I crossed my legs the other way…

Oh, that might help with the back!

Nope. Still hurts.

More distractions then. Project M is really coming along! That extra paperwork is almost done. And now we know Dr. Icing has a new assistant. I hope she sends that consent documentation today.

I wish he’d stop showing slides. Hush, speaker man. You stop talking now so I can stand up and stretch.

Did I print those grant pages? We can easily fix the candidate section. And Boss is right about Aim 1 of the research proposal.

Shut up, shut up, shut up. Do you think he can see me glaring at him? He’s 20 minutes over his allotted time!

Oh, we’ll talk to the penguin next week. I need to remember to put that on my calendar. I was worried that he just stole my results for his paper, but he really hasn’t written it yet. It’d be nice to get a publication from that.

No more slides for you, Dr. SpeaksTooMuch! How freaking many did you bring?!

I hate it when people skip slides so quickly like that. It makes me dizzy.

At least he’s moving through them. I think we might die in here.

So when we get done here, we’ll fix our calendar, finish that part of Project A, look up something for Project B, make sure we printed the grant sections…

I don’t know why you’re planning. We’re never going to leave this room.

I think we’ll go home after we finish those tasks though. I’m tired and my back does hurt.

That guy’s leaving! Look at him going! I’m so jealous.

That should give the speaker a cue that he should wrap it up. It won’t be much longer now.

Oh, no! The worst has happened! I’m out of Diet Coke!

It's probably a bad sign that I only recognize half the words on that summary slide, right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Testing again

Anonymous said...

I'm just playing with comments. I've heard that beta is evil with letting outsiders in, but I haven't yet had a problem.

While it would be dramatic if I was removing mean comments (as is my right as blog administrator), I'm just deleting my own "testing" and "hello?" notes. Nothing to see here!

Lucy said...

Beta is evil. Apparently I have to be logged into a google account to be able to comment.
I love your internal dialogue :)

The Contessa said...

Oh my gosh - you sound like me in one of my work meetings and we aren't anywhere NEAR the same FIELD!!!!

Just Wednesday I say in my meeting thinking I would die in that tiny room and how unbelievably tired of hearing what a God on earth my boss was from HIS boss. Yeesh.

I'm telling you - if it weren't for the italian cookies I would have died in there and never gotten to the cockroach luncheon!!!!

Seriously - your commentary could well have been mine.
I especially liked the commentary on your outfit.

StyleyGeek said...

Oh my god. I am drunk and reading that was so hallucinatory. Is it less trippy when you are sober?

(It made me smile, though.) (But so does everything right now.)

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I'm very very sorry I accidently hit the "Flag As Objectionable" button on your blog. I tried to unflag it, but can't tell if I succeeded. I do like to read your blog very much, and hope my clumsy mouse maneuvering won't cause you problems.

- Grad007

post-doc said...

Lucy-
I can't figure out the problem! I used the anonymous and other buttons just fine. Which bugs me because I'd like to know what's going wrong!

But thank you. I do amuse myself.

Contessa-
Aw, that makes me feel less strange, so thanks! I do it in meetings too, but I'm particularly bad in seminars.

StyleyGeek-
It's probably moderately less trippy. And aren't there most interesting things to do when drunk?

Grad007-
No worries. No ill effects so far and I'll handle them if they arise. You're welcome to click on whatever you'd like when you're here. :)

Post a Comment