Sunday, December 03, 2006

I win! I lose. I win! I lose...

I not only made things Christmasy, but I switched over to the beta layout from my snazzy old template.

I'm so tired. I even turned down a dinner invitation so I could continue work on the archived posts section. But I have a few notes to share:

Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus are among my most cherished possessions. Grandma painted them and displayed them every year. I've stared at those characters for as long as I can remember and love having them on my mantle.

I did string the lights around my bushes out front. They are also adorned with pretty red bows! I'm also fond of the berries they grew - my plants are so cooperative!

Then the defeat interspersed with minor victories began.

I couldn't make my pictures show up for some reason, so rather than throwing away more time on the old template, I switched to beta.

You can click on the header to return to the main page. You can also click on the "About Me" graphic (which I'm pretty sure only appears on the main page) to get to...the main page. I did that near the end and was too exhausted to find that section and fix it.

I'd changed all the column widths and spacing issues (that I know bother only me) when I designed the other blog. I mistakenly believed that this upgrade would therefore be quick and easy.

Until I remembered I wanted to tweak the way the archives are presented. I like the functionality of the hierarchy structure. I don't care for how it looks. Specifically, those triangles bug me. It's a minor thing, so I don't mind it on other blogs. But I wanted something different on mine.

I spent hours trying to get something different. Learned html codes for symbols. Went though over 60 pages of text - doing reading, searching for lists, changing something, breaking the code. It was unpleasant.

I finally got the little arrows to appear, and I was quite pleased with them.

They're only there until you click on them. Then they revert and stay as triangles. I have no idea where in the code they're being told to be triangles. I've looked. I've searched online. I've tried to learn more CSS. I can't figure it out.

So this is my story: The little images are triangles by nature. They'll try to be pretty arrows - slender and with a delicate point on the end - but it requires a great deal of focus. If you shatter the concentration by asking an arrow to show you some posts, it forgets to remain an arrow and turns into a triangle again. Then, I don't know, it remembers how easy it is to be a triangle and stubbornly decides that if you can't love it as a triangle, you probably don't deserve to look at it anyway.

Did I mention I left my undergrad major because I got a B in C++? Stories like that amused my roommates but didn't make me any more persistent in fixing my coding assignments. So I'm leaving it broken for now.

I really am tired. And I never got to work on the grant. I'm not sure I even love the images I made, but I'll love Mr. and Mrs. Santa enough that I'll leave it alone.

Added: So Friend let me know the arrows weren't functioning. So I got hysterical watching them turn to triangles, then frantically switch back to being arrows. I can get it to work now, but sometimes the page automatically scrolls to the top.

Let's be honest though. Who reads my archives? So it's not really a big deal at all! But if you're up for a laugh, picture me breathlessly giggling over my triangles and arrows. Too much html does strange things to my brain.

8 comments:

TitleTroubles said...

I'm starting to wonder if you're hallucinating triangles, because (now that it works) I only see arrows. Which is too bad, because as you know, I'm partial to the triangles.

Anonymous said...

I can see your triangles and I think it's cool, a special touch!

Don't forget to change my URL address on your blog roll. It's the old one there(Change name too...no more THE before it. LoL I just like to make it complicated!).

I do like your Christmas theme!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to share that my least favorite thing about blogger beta is:
- it always opens two windows when I click on the comments button (I use Mozilla Firefox)

Oh wait there's another least favorite thing:
- it sometimes logs me in as my real name and I can't figure out how to log out and end up posting anonymously instead of pseudonymously (like now)

I'm looking forward to your photos and I'll confess to having read your archives for at least a few posts.

-Hypatia Cade

BrightStar (B*) said...

Your template is awesome!

StyleyGeek said...

I love the Christmas template.

I don't see the triangles. Only arrows. Even when I click on the archives.

So maybe your triangles are not only stubborn, but also shy, and they won't show themselves to strangers.

I think you should be flattered that they feel comfortable enough with you to show their true nature :)

post-doc said...

Friend-
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. My arrows are stunning. :) And I still see triangles peek through when I click them.

Joy-
Thanks, and I fixed your link. I appreciate the reminder.

Hypatia-
Just for you, I changed my comment preferences. No new window now, right?

For me, it checks to see which google account I'm using - the blog or my personal one. If I happen to be checking on my amazon orders (the books you recommended came! I'm going to start them soon.), then it wants me to comment with the wrong account. Annoying, yes, but google's plan of world domination likely relies on it. :)

B*-
You're a sweetheart. Thank you.

StyleyGeek-
It would be impossible for me to adore you more. Yes, now I can think of my triangles as shy and stubborn. This delights me.

Anonymous said...

I can see your photos this morning and the masthead is lovely. I really like your Clauses... And yes, thank you for changing the comment preferences (I'll have to complain more often on other blogs. I wonder if other bloggers just don't know).

I hope you like the books!

Hypatia Cade
(Hypatia103@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

oh, those columns thingies bother me too to no end!

and yay for christmas theme, so happy!

and i see both arrows and triangles, so at least its not all triangles!

Post a Comment