Saturday, March 11, 2006

Silly bloggy stuff (or is it?)

There’s a reason I don’t do the typical blog-type postings. Apparently I am a retrospective soul (the most misunderstood of the souls – lovely). I am also a high-level nerd (87th percentile, which provides me more amusement than concern, though it probably should be reversed).

The reason I don’t let myself do things like that is that I truly believe the results on some level. Like astrology – I have a book (though not the updated edition), and I totally buy into it. When I meet someone, I’ll try to work birthdays into the conversation early on so I can look up compatibility in the “Sun Signs in Love” section. To be fair, there are only 3 signs that poor Capricorns can deal with – we don’t even tend to like each other long-term, though the mutual admiration, mental attraction and sexual tension can be lovely. Though I haven’t read it in some time – other than a quick compatibility check whenever I know a man’s birthday – I believe the book knows me.

To prove my point, I decided to get my copy and read my description and make a true/false table. The problem? It’s all true. So with credit to Joann Martine Woolfolk, I shall describe myself in exquisite detail for you (with comments to clarify).

"Ambitious" Yes, very much so.
"Practical" Yep
"Leader" Not to brag, but I was voted Best Leader in my graduating class.
"Power" Where?! I love power!
"Heightened sense of time" Freakishly so. I have clocks everywhere and never use an alarm clock. I always know what time it is.
"Superb organizer and planner" Thank you. I know.
"Melancholy" Yes, often. It’s very sad.
"Sternness" I find myself wearing my “I disapprove” face quite often.
"Responsible" Very much so. I always got to be in charge when teachers left the room.
"Disciplined" At times – I go back and forth. But overall, yes.
"Restriction" Part of why I loved dieting so much and went to extremes.
"Determined " Just another way of saying these other qualities.
"Purpose" What’s the point otherwise?
"Faith in ability" I sometimes question my ability quite viciously. But I often find myself thinking “I could do that better.” So I agree here.
"Depend only on self" I went ahead and linked that for you. It's always been true.
"Remoteness of spirit" I’m much more open here than in person, so you’ll have to trust that it’s very true.
"Misunderstood" In terms of what I want versus what I say I want? Fine.
"Sensitive" Very, very, very. In good ways and bad.
"Sympathetic" Oh, yes. I hurt when other people hurt. It’s a very real quality for me – one I like.
"Supportive" Sincerely so.
"Somber, gloomy, but with sense of humor" I’m nodding.
"Extremely funny, unexpectedly so" I’m not sure about extremely, but I amuse myself quite often.
"Cautious" Uh huh.
"Conservative with money" This might go in the false column if I had made one. I spend money quite freely at times. Because…
"Materialistic" I love stuff!
"Likely to amass wealth" One can hope. Unfortunately this apparently comes late in life.
"Require thorough understanding of path before beginning" We already said I was cautious.
"Concerned with security" A lot.
"Proud" To the point of being flawed.
"Not likely to forgive people who belittle or slight me" I take this farther to 'not trusting people won't belittle or slight me at some point in the future.' It's why I’m writing on a blog rather than out with friends.
"Repay favors" Of course. Always. The book says I do this out of pride though, but I believe that I fall a little in love with people who do kind things for me and want to give that love back.
"Marry for money or prestige" If I could, I would. I wouldn’t turn down a rich husband.
"Dominate relationships" Again, only because they’re not doing it right!
"Continually test loyalty of those around you" Oh, yes. Often subconsciously, but it occurred to me recently that I do this all the time.
"Loner of zodiac" Sighing here.
"Great need to be loved and appreciated" Yes. Please love me! Please appreciate me!
"Master at concealing said need" That line above was a joke. I’m good. Really.
"Appear aloof, indifferent, hard to reach" Again, I feel comfortable here so it’s not such a big issue. This is completely true of me in person.
"Self-contained" Absolutely.
"Elusiveness can be hypnotically attractive" To whom? Where is he?! I believe he's the elusive one here.
"Greatly reward people who seek to know me" It’s like repaying a favor. So yes.
"Deep affection and loyalty" Very deep. Deep like the ocean.
"Cherish and protect loved ones" Rabidly. I’ve yelled at teachers and dentists on Brother’s behalf.
"Completely present in toughest times" Ah, the nurturing instinct. Yes, it’s very strong – I like to take care of people once they have my attention.

If you wonder if the book knows you too, send email or comment. I'll give you your list. But back to this retrospective soul stuff.

"The most misunderstood of all the soul signs."
I sigh. Did they talk to the book of knowledge?

"Sometimes you even have difficulty seeing yourself as who you are."
I nod. That’s likely true. It’s not constant, but yes, sometimes I struggle.

"You are intense and desire perfection in every facet of your life."
Of course. What’s the point otherwise? I don’t want to settle. For crying out loud.

"You're best described as extremely idealistic, hardworking, and a survivor."
Idealistic, yes. Hardworking? I’m currently analyzing some online quiz rather than writing my grant, so this is questionable. A survivor? Of what? My life hasn’t been all that hard. So I’m calling this line a wash.

"Great moments of insight and sensitivity come to you easily."
Oh, stop. That’s very kind. Thank you.

"But if you aren't careful, you'll ignore these moments and repeat past mistakes."
Oh. So you give the compliments, then take them away? I see. To be fair, I noticed this pattern first. That’s why I started the blog! To remember my moments of “insight and sensitivity.”

"For you, it is difficult to seperate the past from the present."
Sweet quiz, my desire for perfection forces me to note that it’s spelled separate. But your point is a good one. I’m very interested in those lessons you say I ignore in favor of repeating past mistakes. So I try to remember and grow from my experiences. You’re starting to irritate me – do you want me to remember the past or live completely in the present?

"You will suceed once you overcome the disappoinments in life."
Again with the spellings! Succeed! Disappointments! If I can get past your skill in spelling, I guess I can appreciate your point.

But then, it tells me that I’m most compatible with the "Traveler Soul and the Prophet Soul." You can’t work that into conversation! How am I supposed to meet someone, then trick him into taking a quiz?! I’m sticking with astrology as my shameful check on romantic possibilities. At least my book is spelled correctly.

5 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

Hmmm...I'm a prophet soul, but I often felt like there was (way) more than one correct answer for a bunch of the questions. And, in my practical mind, that seems to be part of the answer. Most of the descriptive terms are general enough that most people can agree with them. Try an experiment and read one of the other descriptions and see how those traits fit you. And, remember, a high correlation does not mean causality.

Not trying to bash your belief, just playing devil's advocate.

post-doc said...

I've now taken the test 3 times, attempting to choose different answers each time but remaining honest and I keep getting retrospective!

You are absolutely correct in your correlation/causality statement though. It's one of my favorite scientific lines, though Stephen Colbert's "Equations are the Devil's sentences." is my new favorite one.

I appreciate you attempt at support though - thanks. :)

Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

I'm always skeptical about--well, about everything, really, but that's neither here nor there--the ability of 'tests' to tell us who we are, what we're like, etc. There's always going to be something elusive, an X factor that can't quite be nailed down--and that often proves to be the most important element. Adorno writes in NEGATIVE DIALECTICS (do NOT read that book, ever--don't ask, just be glad I was here to stop you) that we too often focus on the norm--the definitive as the constitutive--he argues that perhaps we ought to consider the aberrant--the exceptional as the constitutive--the puzzle piece that *doesn't* fit seems to matter more--seems to contain within in something of truth unmodified by interpretation or a skewed sense of 'order' than the pieces that do. Just a series of incomprehensible thoughts...

post-doc said...

I wish for skepticism sometimes. I'm almost frighteningly easy to convince of just about anything. I trust that people have little reason to lie, so I'm pretty trusting.

Your thoughts aren't so incomprehensible - I think I get it. And it's a good point - the X factor - one I rather like. So yay for you!

post-doc said...

Charlie's not commenting of late, but via email, he says:

"Ever go to http://www.keirsey.com/ and take the personality test? I think you might find it interesting."

Unsurprisingly, I'm an idealist. I haven't taken the test in a long time, and I can't remember the finer categorizations. And I should be working on my grant anyway, ideally.

Post a Comment