Monday, March 06, 2006

How about a contest?!

I have a lot to tell you - cool gifts I put together, tons of work stuff I'm figuring out, but I'm finding my productivity is tending toward actual work today. Shocking, I know. So I'm letting myself be professionally motivated for now.

Plus, there's so much going on! Defenses! Interviews! The suspense is killing me. So people have things going on, and I hate to add more reading to your already busy lives right now (instead, I'll wait until tomorrow!) But in the event that you'd miss me if I took a day off, I wanted to suggest another game.

We always had dogs growing up. We named my first Cricket (she was all black and liked to jump, I guess). Then came LC (or Elsie, but LC stood for Large Canine, according to my dad).

After LC, some friends had a litter of puppies and we saw them 2 days after they were born. I wanted a black and white speckled one. Brother wanted a brown one. Mom decided on the one with a white spot on the back of her neck so we'd remember which one we chose.

I carried her home in my hand - she was so small and sweet. We all adored this dog - I finally had a sister and she was considered to be as much a member of the family as any of us. She had liver problems and hated the vet, so we let her go last year. We still miss her very much.

You won't guess what we named her. I'm so completely confident that nobody will get it that I'm offering $25 for the correct answer - amazon or iTunes - your choice. If you'd like to make me happy (or win $25), leave a comment and take a guess.

If you guys decide to play, I'll leave hints over the next couple of days as I add new posts. To start you off though...

I can never remember Dad ever calling her by the name we gave her. She was always Ralph to him.

We got her in 1992, I think. I would have been in junior high, Brother in 2nd grade or so.

Mom suggested the name, but Brother and I loved it.

Whenever I mention her to someone for the first time, they ask for clarification on her name. It's not typical at all.

It is, however, a real word. We didn't make something up.

4 comments:

phd me said...

Truthiness! :)

post-doc said...

Unfortunately, no. Though I could easily name my next pet Colbert because I derive a great deal of joy from The Report.

This is the good hint, though I don't think it'll help enough.

Her parents' names were Polly and Petie.

Anonymous said...

Kwjibo? :)

post-doc said...

Um, not so much. It is 2 syllables though.

Post a Comment