Friday, March 24, 2006

A rather pitiful update

Things are actually going well. Sections of the grant have been sent out, other sections are nearing completion, and while I'm still overwhelmed, it's more manageable.

I've been struggling with migraines lately, so that's been bad.

My parents and niece are here this weekend - we have a 1st birthday party to attend tomorrow. Want to know what I bought? OK!

Well, there's Pop Along Baby Pooh, and my little cousin is lucky her party is tomorrow or I'd lose my battle against temptation and take him out of the box to watch him run around. And he talks! And his little toy makes the best little popping sounds!

Then there are the outfits! This lovely dress with a peach top and skirt with tiny flowers all over it. And a little shorts set with yellow stripes and a big daffodil on the front!

I'm actually so not ready for children myself. The Little One was the Terrible One this afternoon - I really wanted to look in her brown eyes and say "What the hell is your problem?!" But I resisted, cursing only in my mind when she screamed at the restaurant because she wanted to be walking around rather than sitting nicely. And I look around with some dismay, noticing that my formerly tidy house is covered with stuffed animals, toys, half-eaten snacks, dirty dishes, pacifiers, and a couple bottles of beer (the afternoon was rough on my parents too).

I'm going to quietly clean up - careful not to disturb my three sleeping guests (and yes, it's just 7PM here) and work more on my grant. Hopefully I'll be back to tell lengthy stories next week.

3 comments:

mouse said...

word on the not being ready to have children thing. I realized this one day when I actually did say, "what the hell is your problem?" to my nephew.

post-doc said...

Thank you! So glad to realize I'm not alone here. :)

Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Except that nobody's ever *really* ready to have kids--or if they think they are, they're not. It's like "being ready" to be hit with a subway train--you're really, really not. Kids just *happen*--and you deal when they do. There's a reason why we're genetically programmed to love 'em unconditionally--it's what A. makes us "ready" after the fact, and B. keeps us from strangling them when they won't listen to reason. Given your experience with mice (small things that move quickly and unpredictably) and prostate exams (I shan't elaborate), I'd say you're probably a lot more ready than you think...

Post a Comment