Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Busy, busy, busy!

I’m trying to write a grant. That isn’t news – I’ve been working at it for 3 weeks or so.

Well, working is probably the wrong word. I prefer to say that I’ve been thinking about it. Letting topics, goals, and problems tangle then find order in my head as I write slowly. Some sections are complete – the easy stuff that’s already been written for other purposes and just needed tweaking, the talking about how cool I am, only to explain how very far I have to go. Because there’s a dichotomy here – you want to be good enough, but also show a true need for the money in the K award, right?

So some sections, despite my rising at 3AM to allow writing when I think of text to include, are refusing to come together quickly. Also, that thinking I was talking about – from the outside, it may look at lot like wasting time.

If there’s a question game for me recently, it doesn’t look like "Candidate section or Research proposal section?" It’s more "Coffee or Nap? Chinese or Pizza? Television or blogs? Romance novel or The Colbert Report? Writing email or writing for the blog?" Note the lack of anything related to actual work.

So now as the deadline approaches and I need to get my draft out to the lovely folks here soon so they can fix my many mistakes, I’m going to attempt some focus. So I’ll get back to the family stuff, and perhaps come up with something interesting to tell you. In the meantime, I’m listening to music, waiting for email (you can’t cut out all distractions – I don’t think that’s healthy at all!), and trying to pull this together.

And that’s about all I know for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to put my finger on why grant proposals are so awkward to write. I think you're exactly right in pointing out the need to show you're good, yet justify why you need the money. It's something I still have no idea how to do effectively. Good luck on finishing the grant!

Post a Comment