Sunday, January 15, 2006

Skeptism...not so much

My parents are here this weekend for a pre-birthday celebration. It's been lovely - eating out, seeing a show, receiving presents - but it's also sucked away all my free time. I've been trying to catch sleep between planned events, cleaning, household projects, and some work that had to be done this weekend.

But we're quiet now - family dinner over and leftovers put away, gathered around the TV with me curled up in the chair, laptop open and ready, Mom on the loveseat sipping sweet tea and Dad on the floor, still nursing his cold, wrapped up in blankets and drinking juice we keep bringing him. I'm out of ideas - completely engrossed in family comfort. I'm terrible at writing when I'm out of my head, thoughts being shared with other people.

So I was all set to ignore the blog for one more day, but Dad's watching David Blaine.

"He's really good, isn't he?" Dad asks from the floor, head propped on a striped throw pillow.

I glance up from the laptop at the television screen, and wrinkle my nose.

"I don't know. I'm not sure I believe he's doing anything all that special."

"He just levitated!" Dad insists, perturbed that I don't share his enthusiasm.

"Yeah...I don't know."

Then I sat for just a moment, considering how far I've come. I used to believe anything - trusting that people have good intentions and pass along valuable information, uninterested in proving something when it's more efficient to just accept it as fact. Years of science have taught me to question - to ask why and how you know and what your control group did. It's not natural for me, but I'm learning. So I was pleased that I wasn't sure Mr. Blaine was all that cool. I'm growing up! I told myself with a smile.

Then, first trick, he's telling someone to watch the cards as he flipped through them. I didn't pay attention at first, but then he offers to do it again more slowly.

So I watch, seeing 3 cards but focusing on the 4 of hearts. I wonder briefly what card the person picked.

He shows the 4 of hearts, the red markings peering back at me from the screen. I raise my eyebrows and try not to say anything, impressed despite myself. I make it 3 seconds before saying,

"That was the card I picked!" Looking up at Mom, sure that she wasn't paying attention either.

"Me too!" Dad says, pleased to be in good company in his David Blaine appreciation.

"I picked that one too." Mom adds, wide-eyed.

"Wow..." We say together, adding individual statements of awe.

It's that moment I treasure - when you let go of all the questions and just think something or someone is special. I still have some doubts - why do the cards have to be held relatively low? What caused us all to pick the same card when there were multiple cards I could see? Is it all a trick? Would I feel silly and gullible if I knew how it was done?

I'm letting it go though. Enjoying the small catch of breath that comes with being amazed, loving that I'll associate David Blaine with Dad on the floor - eager to accept, Mom on the couch - sleepily cuddled with the dog, and me, full of good food and feelings, content to have people around, making noise and clutter in my normally quiet little house.

Sometimes it's nice to let go of the questions and just accept the entertainment, information and joy.

3 comments:

CharlieAmra said...

Ah yes, grad school, institutionalized sketpism at its best.

Happy Birthday! Glad to hear you were able to enjoy it with family.

ScienceWoman said...

Happy Birthday - it is good to just relax once in a while.

post-doc said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes! You're all very sweet.

Post a Comment