Sunday, January 22, 2006

Beauty, many forms of

These are jellyfish in a tank at Mandalay Bay. I found the picture when I was posting yesterday and find them strangely compelling. I stared at them forever, both in person and on my computer screen.

Wanting to post the photo, but unsure of what context to use, I decided to note that I've come across websites that I think are even more compelling than the jellyfish illuminated with purple light.

* Veronica writes beautifully. I leave her work feeling a bit sad and challenged - always marveling at her talent. While I'll read anything the Waiter recommends, I particularly enjoyed this link.

* I came across an exquisite site, and I've looked at Christine's art several times since then. I translated my complimentary email into French via google - I like her art enough to go through the extra effort. It's profound somehow that I don't need to speak French to appreciate her work a great deal.

* I adore Charlie - I love that he reads what I write, and see him as a thoughtful, benevolent presence here. I also see him as having considerable talent. Some of his work evokes my memories of Japan; all of it impresses me. And I'm waiting for the update on the polar bear.

I view my writing style as conversational. While I'm working at getting better - including more dialogue, improving flow, decreasing length - I don't find my posts at all difficult to understand. If I'm trying to tell you something, I'll make it as clear as possible.

What I find interesting about art - how I'd categorize these links - is that it's more challenging to fully appreciate. I spend more time - squinting at images, trying to see the subtle hints that enhance the experience, reading posts multiple times trying to see past the lyrical flow to the story within the words.

I have no talent in the visual arts or poetry, and I feel a bit shy about my interest in them. I often feel as though I'm missing something - that I don't have the background necessary to really understand the message. Perhaps my enjoyment of them is enough.

Regardless, I feel like I did with the jellyfish. I'm standing in the left corner of the original photo, close to the glass, face upturned in a thoughtful expression, a bit awed, a bit confused. I was embarrassed the first time I saw the picture M had taken. Now, I like it - the thought of being outside of my own thoughts, stretching myself to understand something that's not completely clear to me. Finding some sort of profound beauty in the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment