Saturday, January 28, 2006

PSA: iPod, red circles and such

I seem to be getting a fair number of hits from searches resulting from my iPod post. Apparently people are struggling with why the forbidding red circle appears. Perhaps they, like me, connected the little guy to their computers without reading any directions. The unfortunate thing was that my post offered no solutions to the circle, so I'd like to remedy that.

I use my iPod (whose name is Chandler) on my PowerBook. But I assume similar things happen in any Windows OS. When I plug it in, iTunes opens and I can move music around, create playlists, and other fun stuff. The red circle is on the whole time it's plugged in. So when you're finished with your iTunes activities, you'll want to find your iPod's name in the left source portion of the screen and push the little eject icon located right next to it. Then wait a couple seconds and the red circle goes away and you can unplug your iPod happily.

Please feel free to send me email if I can help with anything.

Oh! And if you have the new video iPod, for goodness sake, be careful with the screen! Mine is terribly scratched already and I thought I was keeping it carefully encased. Now I'm sad just thinking about my scratched screen.

4 comments:

CharlieAmra said...

I received the ipod nano for christmas, my first foray into the world of digital music. It is pretty damn cool. I did read the instructions before installing it, having learned my lesson when I tried to install my digital camera (it took the help desk guy 30 minutes to fix whatever I had done).

A friend of mine has the new video ipod. Those things are just awesome.

post-doc said...

I enjoy my iPod tremendously, but glare at the scratches each time I glance at it on my desk at work. Somehow the light hits it just perfectly so they're highlighted.

I'm still without a digital camera, though it pains me to admit it.

Anonymous said...

The first scratch hurts the most. My iPod's screen has a few scratches now, but nothing like the first one. I kept thinking about it for days. I too am still without a digital camera. It sure pains. I'm planning to buy one for months now, but somehow never seem to have enough cash for it. Well, that's part of the package of being a grad student, I guess.

post-doc said...

My frustration stems from rubbing at my iPod with my nail, trying to remove the speck of dust and scratching it myself. I had no idea they were so delicate! Good luck with the camera - my post-doc salary doesn't allow for one right now either. :)

Post a Comment