Friday, April 06, 2007

Oh. Ow.

I had my second laser treatment today. They were running late and while I was certainly less nervous, it was also more unpleasant in some sense because I knew which parts would hurt the most. When she did a spot on my chin, the hair is apparently of high enough density that it burns/stings quite a bit. I winced, eyes firmly closed and feet cramping from being curled defensively for so long (I tense my feet a lot - don't know that I've mentioned that before. I get foot cramps quite frequently and if I'm at all upset, my toes are likely curled under), and the tech asked if I'd like a break.

"I'd rather get it done, thank you." I replied. "Please go ahead."

"Men are the worst." She confided in a lovely attempt to distract me. "I always have to take breaks when treating them and they're supposed to be tougher! But they whine and complain the whole time - the gel is too cold, the laser hurts their skin, the light is too bright. It surprised me at first, but I find women tolerate the procedure much better."

I decided that since it is significantly more painful when the hair is dense (I barely feel it on most of the areas - just a tiny, hot pressure), men probably do have a rougher time of it. And if they're unused to the sensation of plucking or waxing, the pain could be unexpected. I really don't mind it - I could do it all over my body, I'm sure. The area that's treated in each blink of the laser is fairly large; I think it hurts less than waxing; The hair actually stays in - it just gets really hot under the skin. So, you know, ick and all that. But if it works, the discomfort will be easily forgotten.

I was slightly pink after the soothing lotion and ice packs, so I avoided the gaze of Cute Boy on Elevator when I made my way back to my car. I was rather hungry, so I battled miserable traffic and stopped at Panera for a cinnamon crunch bagel (split and toasted) with honey walnut cream cheese. I decided to get 2 by the time I made it to the counter, reasoning that I'd save one for later if my office was empty or would share if need be. After more "what the hell is wrong with you people?!" driving in the car, I arrived at my desk and greeted Ken.

"Would you like a bagel?" I asked because I enjoy Ken.

"Do you have extras?" He asked, looking up from his book a bit longer than he had when I first said hello. I nodded and took one out, placed it on a napkin, then handed him the bag with the other inside. He peered in the top and noted that it was a fancy bagel.

"A day with Panera bagels is a good day." I informed him and accepted his thanks for the morning treat.

I thought about how desperately I need a new Mac as I transferred files back and forth between my iMac and a PC notebook. Freaking software that only runs on Windows. I, however, cannot afford one and hesitate to ask Boss to shell out that much money for a laptop. So I'll live with the inconvenience. I was content, surrounded by papers and work and transferring files to make slow progress on a couple of different tasks.

The phone rang and soon after I hung up, I gathered paperwork and headed across campus to meet another patient for a study I'm doing. He called me "hon."

"Happy to have met you." He said as I left the room.

"Happy to have met both of you." I said to the couple. Then I realized I was not. I appreciate him helping - I told him that earlier. But I hate that he met me. I am horrified by the fact that he has cancer and can participate in my study that won't help him at all. I liked him. I want him to be well, and he isn't.

The first patient bothered me some, I thought as I walked back to my office, blinking back tears. I was nervous about logistics, knew I fumbled my little speech when I obtained consent, was worried about the technical details when the experiment was running. But as I look at her data, I'm sickened. I find I need breaks from that - the pain is too sharp and nauseating for me. Now I have an idea of what to expect and the emotional response is much stronger and more immediate upon meeting Patient 2.

I briefly worried I wouldn't recognize Patient 1 when we met the second time. My brain was so busy with details that I wasn't sure I remembered what she looked like. Patient 2's face is etched in my brain. I see it while I play Chuzzle. When I work on software problems. And my breath catches, stomach cramps and my brain whispers, "I don't know if I can do this."

Sometimes the second time is worse than the first. I'll let you know about the third when it happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it is hard to gather the data. It's hard because you want to be in a helping role for them and it hurts your research is not.

Here is how I think your research helps them. Cancer is so horrible and distructive that anything they can do to further research and help find future cures is why they participate.

You know, if not for patients in the past that participated in research such as yours, your patients may not have made it this far.

(((Hugs))) to help you deal with the ow.

PK said...

Sorry about the patient interactions. I collect patient data and it is never easy. I used to feel quite exploitative because I am using their suffering to acquire one additional point to make my graph prettier. I feel better when I talk to them about their hopes from their treatment. It helps somewhat that what I am doing is less invasive than the other procedures they undergo.

DrOtter said...

I think Joy is right. While things may not help these patients directly, feeling like there is some purpose in life (other than getting well, or making most of time left), that they can contribute to something bigger than themselves, is quite important.
Anyway, your visit is a different topic of conversation for them when the family visit. That makes quite a difference to people during long hospital stays/illness - both the patient and the family benefit from a new topic.

It is still difficult to handle though. I'm glad that my research is no where near patients (and wont be during my time in the lab).

I hope it gets easier, although I suspect you wouldn't be you if you didn't feel this way about it.

Post a Comment