Thursday, November 30, 2006

When I grow up...

Grandma liked to tell a particular story. I can’t remember how many times I heard it – it could have been once and just stuck with me or could have been multiple times that encoded it into memory.

“When Aunt was little,” Grandma said, “she was sitting in school one day. The teacher asked them to go around the room and tell what they wanted to be when they grew up.

“Aunt came home that day and was so sad. She told me about how everyone had made fun of her. How they’d laughed and laughed when she told what she wanted to do with her life.” Grandma shook her head disapprovingly and said I could be anything I wanted to be. And if anyone teased me? Well, they were just wrong. I was smart and special and strong. Beautiful and loving and kind. Like a princess, only better. (Grandma loved me a tremendous amount – I still miss her terribly.)

I miss having a constant source of support. Someone who rarely told me I was wrong. She simply offered comfort and love. Smiled gently and kissed my forehead. Radiated gentle confidence that things would work out because I deserved good things. God loved me and would care for me. It would all be OK.

I was thinking about Aunt recently after my first appointment with Dr. Counselor. He asked what I would like to be doing if I could be doing anything at all.

“That’s the thing.” I said, exasperated with myself. “I just don’t know! I think… I guess…” Then I twisted my mouth and thought – I want to be alive. I like myself, think the world is ridiculously funny and remarkably fascinating. So if I could have anything – do anything – what would I want?

I found myself making a statement similar to what Aunt said as a child, standing proudly in a classroom to take her turn.

“I want to get married.” She said with a smile, for she wanted to do what her mother did. What she saw as profoundly important and loving and right. “I want to be a mother and a wife.”

I’m afraid of picking the wrong man (justified if you consider my romantic history). I’m worried about giving too much and expecting too little (also valid). I’m terrified of ending up alone. Devastated over the idea that I might not have children.

I’ve thought about the last one though – I’m having one. I’d rather not do it alone – plan to try like hell to meet someone wonderful – but I can if need be. But I could also be good at being married – sharing my life with someone.

I don’t think my way is the only way. My heart hurts much more over the woman who couldn’t hold her daughter’s hand because she was smoking and drinking a can of soda as they walked down the sidewalk than it ever would over a strong, capable woman deciding children aren’t in her plans. I understand feeling awkward around children – I sometimes do. But when I think of my life and try to imagine being alone – having a career and pets, wonderful friends and the opportunity to travel. Time to read and write and have incredible hobbies. Money to indulge myself. All those facets – pieces of what sound like a good life – leave me with an empty spot. I’ll always be looking around, wondering where the man is, when the children will come. That's just me.

So I’ve been thinking lately. About what will be right for me. About the intense stomach flip that I thought I needed so much, but perhaps is just throwing me off. Perhaps gentle strength and stability is (or should be) more appealing than dark and brooding talent. (Ah, brooding talent…) Sweet sincerity should win out over easy flirtation. Respect should matter more than heat. I’m getting it, I think. It gives me no small amount of comfort that I can see what I need and can get used to finding it attractive. I might be moving closer to what I want.

While having these thoughts, life goes on though. I put up my Christmas tree this morning. Locked Sprout in his room last night so I could sleep – the running and noise must stop at some point (and by “some point” I mean at, um, 9:00 when I’m too exhausted to stay awake until later). I took Chienne for a walk this morning. Started a project for Carrie. Made progress on another for Steve. Submitted some revisions on a paper after meeting with Boss. Had another meeting with a good collaborator. I’m productive – even after heading down the hall to find clothes while moaning “I don’t want to go!”

I’m continuing to collect lists of charities for holiday giving. I’m eager to attend church on Sunday. I have therapy tomorrow (well, I’m dreading that a bit, but that’s OK. I’ll let him know I was dreading it and see what he says). I’m not feeling nearly so sad as I was at one time – Christmas reminders help me out a lot. (I really like my tree.) I felt guilty – miserably so – for being so vulnerable and hopeful in my search for someone to love. That particular pain – whether through time or prayer or something else – has eased. I think it’s good for me to want this particular future. It’s OK that I’m sometimes sad that a part of my life I consider important is missing.

I’m good at my job. I can do this, if only I find the energy to do so. I’d be good at having a family. I’m a good daughter, an OK sister, a fantastic aunt. I have my faults – many, many quirks and habits and flaws that make me non-ideal. But I feel good about my goals. I, after all, can do whatever I want to do.

Grandma said so. Mom and Aunt would certainly back me up. And these are women more amazing than any I’ve been lucky enough to know. I badly want some young woman to be able to say the same of me some day. And lately, for some reason, I'm oddly hopeful that she will.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand feeling like there is an empty spot. You are not alone.

I like your thinking...the part about thinking what you need to look for...sweet sincerity should win out out over easy fliration...etc. It's not about playing a part but being part life that brings you where you are to be.

Be patient. Be yourself (that'd be a kind and thoughtful person, btw). Just be.

The Contessa said...

All those things are wonderful qualities. Your Grandma was right you can do and be anything you want. You'd be a great mom and wonderful wife. The guy who will love and appreciate it is out there. Just be who you are. No pretense.

H said...

Most people WANT to find someone to love, who loves them, and that you can spend your live together with. Many people want families. However, there is a sizable chunk of chance in it happening. My parents have been happily married for over 50 years. My brother mostly unhappily married for 20, now remarried, currently happily. He desperately wanted a wife and a family and had been a traditional stand-up kind of a guy. But his first marriage just didn't work well. I know many married people where it works, many where it hasn't and many who are single in spite of looking.

What is my point.... I guess that WANTING something, and making it a life goal are two different things, particularly if your sense of self-worth and happiness are rolled up in it. A goal should be something that you can work towards and through that work be likely to succeed. It should not rely on luck. You should be able to do things that you gain self worth and self respect from that are things that you have control over.

So, IMO, thinking about what you want in a guy, how to find someone, and that sort of thing is good. Telling yourself that if you don't find someone that there will be a hole in your life is not. Your sense of self-worth should not be based on the happenstance of meeting the right guy.

If you gains satisfaction from your carreer but something goes sour, a bad boss, or a problem that makes the career no longer doable, you can hopefully change jobs, change carreers, get new training or education, move on. Marriages shouldn't be like that. One should keep one's vows.

Kids are another issue, one can have them or adopt them outside of a marriage and make that a focus. Although studies indicate that single parents are as a group the most stressed and unhappy group of adults in America, that is a generalization and not necessarily true of individuals.

Or one can work with kids and impact their lives (hopefully positively) without having any of one's own. I think I have had a pronounced positive effect on more young people as a professor than I would have if I had had children and opted not to struggle through the process to become a professor, or had been a less dedicated professor due to time taken away by family.

This is way too long... but some women can do everything, have a demanding carreer and a family and be good in it all. But that is not always the case, either the family or the job or both are often compromised. I have seen a lot of that. It seems to be less of an issue for men, because wives are more likely to take a primarily supportive role than husbands are. It depends on the people involved. I do not think I could have done it personally.

No-one should be laughed at for wanting to get married, but neither should it be a life goal on which your happiness depends.

Anonymous said...

“I want to get married.” She said with a smile, for she wanted to do what her mother did. What she saw as profoundly important and loving and right. “I want to be a mother and a wife.”

me too. me too. and i want to stop feeling sad/jealous when others do it and just be happy for them. but i want it too. i just keep telling myself that God wants that for me too. is that wrong?

H said...

Justme, if you tell yourself that that is what God wants for you, you are presuming to know the mind and will of God. And what if it doesn't work out? Will you then have to doubt God? I may be coming accross as negative here but that is not my goal. What I am trying to say is that there are many ways to lead a fulfilling life. Marriage and family can be a the most important and fulfilling thing in a married person's life. But for a single person to decide that that is the case for them can lead to misery and doubt.

Good luck in your hunt, but try to not make the success of lack of success in that hunt the defining
thing about your self-image.

Do not allow yourself to become desperate! You may make a terrible choice.

H said...

BTW, my comments are as an outside observer. Most of my friends and family members are married, some several times. I have never even been in a relationship that I thought might work, though I spent many of my younger years longing for this guy or that. That is just me, I suspect that I come accross as very forbidding. Single by nature I think. I do not attract men. In truth, I no longer mind, and it was never effected my sense of self-worth much. If Mr. Right dropped into my life I PROBABLY would go for it, but I am not even sure about that now. In some wonderful old movie, an older woman who is single councils a younger person in the matters of love, and then states that few know more about love than old maids. These days women don't refer to themselves as old maids, and I'm not sure I would call myself an expert on love, but though I am a perpetually single woman I have observed a lot over my life and helped many a friend with relationship issues. My advice, think about what you WANT and act in a way consistant with that, and remember... You can't alsways get what you want.

post-doc said...

Joy & Contessa-
You're both terribly sweet. And I agree. The movement toward figuring myself out will only help in the process.

Heather-
I see your point - I really do. I just disagree on applying it to my life. Family is - and always has been - a goal for me. Something to hope for and work toward. And while there is limited control over having it happen and being happy with the outcome, I think you could say that of anything. To varying degrees, perhaps, but I see it as being true across the board.

I think it's absolutely true that family and faith and looking back on our own choices has a great deal of influence on how we look at personal decisions. While there are commonalities among people (which make the comments that agree with me much more enjoyable to read), we're all coming at this from different angles. Hope, fear, happiness - it's all relative.

I guess I'm saying we're not going to agree here. I'm as befuddled (I think) by you as you are frustrated or confused by me. But I don't think agreement is the goal. I really do respect what you're trying to say, and understand your goal is likely helping people avoid suffering needlessly. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's a simple and as complex as my liking dogs more than cats. It's just a fact, and no amount of talking or understanding can change the way we view certain basic parts of life. I might be wrong - I accept that I could think very differently in a few years. But I really doubt it.

JustMe-
I don't think it's wrong to want what you want. To feel what you feel when others get what you want so badly for yourself. I do it, anyway.

God knows you and understands the history and emotion behind each prayer and moment. I do trust that He knows us and wants what's best. And in praying and trying to listen, I think we get closer to what He wants. I don't know what that is, but I have a feeling there's some reason we want what we want. I find that thought comforting for some reason.

H-
I don't doubt God when I don't get my way. I get angry, but through that intensity of emotion, can learn and grow closer to Him. It's all useful - the pain is there for a reason in my life.

I also don't think there's a problem with wanting something desperately. For me, the extreme contentment with my current lifestyle precludes searching for more. I don't want just this. In reminding myself that I have other goals, I work toward them. Consider my thoughts carefully - what I want, how I want it. Try to date. Be open to meeting someone I very much want in my life. That's just how it works for me.

I have no small amount of respect that you found a thought pattern that works for you. It's not right for me at this time.

I heard someone use the term 'old maid' just yesterday. And I don't doubt that you really understand a great deal about men, women and relationships. And being with someone can lead to unhappiness as quickly as being alone.

But - for me - the most certain way to avoid getting what you want is to not care or not try. I've long expected something to just fall in my lap as I went along with other interests, but that's not how it's going to go. It's going to take time and effort in my life, and I'm willing to do that.

H said...

You misunderstand me. I am not condemning wanting a spouse and a family, not saying in any way that wanting one is wrong. It is normal to want that. Those that don't want it are in the minority. And working on getting something you want is good, particularly something positive like love and family. What I am saying that it is not a great life goal, what you need to have to be happy, particularly if your sense of yourself and the quality of your life is dependant on it.

What I see in your blog is a sensitive, caring, intelligent woman who has had a lot of success. And yet you seem to filter everything through a dark and smokey glass of not having a man and a family. It makes you miserable when you can be happy.

Often working towards a goal is rewarding in itself, and yes, striving to acheive is important. I could be wrong here, but what I see in you and many of your commenters is kind of a misery that is entirely unecessary. You should be happy with yourself, feel rewarded in your job and your freinds and your house and your extended family without the constant underlayment of "but I don't have my own man and family and am therefore unhappy, unfulfilled, incomplete" spoiling your joy.

H said...

You misunderstand me. I am not condemning wanting a spouse and a family, not saying in any way that wanting one is wrong. It is normal to want that. Those that don't want it are in the minority. And working on getting something you want is good, particularly something positive like love and family. What I am saying that it is not a great life goal, what you need to have to be happy, particularly if your sense of yourself and the quality of your life is dependant on it.

What I see in your blog is a sensitive, caring, intelligent woman who has had a lot of success. And yet you seem to filter everything through a dark and smokey glass of not having a man and a family. It makes you miserable when you can be happy.

Often working towards a goal is rewarding in itself, and yes, striving to acheive is important. I could be wrong here, but what I see in you and many of your commenters is kind of a misery that is entirely unecessary. You should be happy with yourself, feel rewarded in your job and your freinds and your house and your extended family without the constant underlayment of "but I don't have my own man and family and am therefore unhappy, unfulfilled, incomplete" spoiling your joy.

post-doc said...

I'm trying to think about it, and I really don't know. I think a few things are happening. For one, I'm resisting change right now. With therapy and work and all kinds of things. Plus, the typical approach (for me as well as my commenters) is gentle support rather than nudging criticism. I tend to throw tantrums when people suggest too much change.

But.

When in relationships (whether real or imagined), I'm happier. There's a little spark of happiness that I can savor that somebody is with me - loves me and wants to be with him. And I can call him or send email or show up at his apartment when something good happens or when I need distractions from the bad. Reaching that point of intimacy - even with a friend - is an incredible feat. But it's different for me if I have that in the romantic sense.

So there is a twinge of sadness when that part is missing. I'm not sure if I'd qualify it as misery. It's certainly not the overwhelming, intense emotion I first thought of. But it's there and it's painful. But I want it like that. That pain - the sense of something missing - could sometimes color how I see other areas. But it also nudges me into the awkwardness of dating, of meeting people, of considering why things haven't worked for me before. And that's good for me right now. I'm just convinced that it is.

I'm actually pretty happy a lot of the time. I laugh and joke and get work done. I look forward to shopping and friends and Christmas cookies. I'm really fine. I just could be better - whether through meeting someone or a change of attitude remains to be seen.

H said...

Of course, love is a wonderful thing, puts a glow on everythig. *smiles*

Anonymous said...

thanks post-doc. I agree that God gives us certain desires for a reason.

H, I am not presuming to know His will, nor am I ready to give Him up as soon as I don't get what I want. I know you don't know me very well, so I will chalk up your response, that was a bit negative, to that.

Post a Comment