Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Blog Plan - Archived Posts

We are nearing one year mark of my little blogging experience. While I'm not exactly crossing off the days on my calendar (nor do I have anything special planned - I never got that parade for finishing my PhD. Perhaps I could arrange for one now...), anniversaries are a nice time to reflect on what happened and plan what's yet to come.

I've considered adding labels to everything, but it doesn't really appeal. (Seems like a lot of work, honestly.) So I'm left thinking about the archives - some posts I love and others I could do without. I don't like how you click on a month and get all the entries in reverse order! It just bugs me. And I don't know how to add one of those Back|Main|Forward linky things at the top of each page. I could learn, but that would make my new plan seem silly.

And I like my new plan.

I have decided to list posts by month at first, perhaps organizing according to category later, that offer all the titles of what I'd written. So I started to do that, and was writing these little summaries of what was included within that particular entry. That was a lot of work - remembering what was there, then trying to write a sentence or two about it.

But when I pick up a paperback, I don't really base my purchasing decision on the back cover. I like the excerpt on the first page inside the front cover. (Real books don't have that, do they? Crap. Romance novels give you a page of text from the book - usually something hot - so you can see if you're interested. It's delightful.) So I decided I'd pick out some text - some just because I liked the way it read, some because it provides a representative picture of what's included in the full entry - and include it under the title.

So I'm reading some entries, and skimming others. Doing all kinds of copying and pasting and linking. It's fantastic and cheerful, which is good since Chienne was a bit sick so I had to cancel my trip home. (She's fine - we just came from the vet and switched from pills to shampoo for a skin condition.)

Will anyone ever use these entries that I'll link in my sidebar? Probably not. That's OK. I like them. But when you start seeing these "Archived Posts" entries arrive, feel free to ignore them. They're just a little weekend project I'm doing.

1 comment:

Picking up Women said...

That was a lot of work - remembering what was there, then trying to write a sentence or two about it.

Post a Comment