Thursday, November 16, 2006

Please see figure 1.

Figure 1 shows the progression of the headache over time. Time 0 is approximately 1PM on Wednesday and the final point point should be at 4PM today. The pain scale is based upon my own personal level of misery. It is perhaps lower than normal, but I don't care. I like to be dramatic when I'm headachy.

I have helpfully included notes to aid in the interpretation of this figure.

Any decreases in pain are due to drugs. To understand that help (or lack thereof) more clearly, we will consult Table 1.

We see that relief was offered by the first 2 medications followed by "PM." The sleeping periods were the only comfort offered recently. Excedrin Migraine allowed me to create the graph and table, so my love for that particular variant of pain relief is confirmed.

As another note, I like that graph. Doing it in 3D makes the line look like a pretty ribbon. A pretty, red ribbon of my extreme misery over the last couple days. But at least it's nice to look at the graph.

But since I don't get paid to make visual aids for my personal life, I should probably return to my paper revisions. I'm getting close to being done - that new figure is pretty (though it doesn't include a pretty ribbon-like graph that illustrates my suffering) and I just have to explain a couple of points that I understand, but struggle to articulate adequately. (I'd like to say - for just one point within many points that were completely valid and wonderful - "Reviewer- You're mistaken. Here's what you asked for, but it doesn't make any sense. So I'm right - the old way was better. Please admit your error and we'll all move on with our lives. Thanks!" but that probably won't work.)

9 comments:

Lucy said...

I hope the graph goes down to 0, soon!

Repressed Librarian said...

Oooh, I'm sorry you're still in so much pain, but I did enjoy the graph.

MapleMama said...

Poor Katie!!

Beware the lure of "Migraine" formula products (i.e. Excedrin Migraine). Here is some intersting data for your next migraine report.

I had a VERY heated conversation with a customer service rep at Excedrin several years ago - when in my 5th day of a flat-on-my-back, no-bright-light, bucket-next-to-the-bed migraine, I ventured out to get the new Excedrin "Migraine" formula only to get home, compare my bottles. and realize it was EXACTLY the same as the Extra Strength formula.

When I questioned the rep about this, she said, "Yes, they are the same product, but because they are labeled as treating different conditions (migraine vs. headache) they were required to consider different warnings and indications on the packaging.

As if your head didn't hurt enough before! Tae good care of you!

Anonymous said...

That's a very cute graph. Which software did you use?

ceresina said...

Life would, indeed, be better if we could say such things to anonymous reviewers.
I'm sorry the headache is not going well...

Abbey said...

I love love love the graph and table.

I said as much to a reviewer that asked for new analysis in one review and in the second review said the analysis was a-theoretical and should be removed. Duh!

Hope you feel better soon!

post-doc said...

Lucy-
Me too. It just hasn't happened yet.

RL-
I'm glad you liked the graph! I was fond of it myself.

MapleMama-
Why must people try to trick me when my head hurts?! Now I'm offended, but Excedrin did work more than anything else. Not that that's saying a whole lot.

Grad007-
I used Excel - it's the 3D option under Lines, I think. Then I added autoshapes in Word. Because I have too much free time. :)

Ceresina-
I was lucky with this reviewer too! He really tried to understand what I was doing and made excellent suggestions. Which is why I took it so hard that his final and major point was... not right.

Abbey-
I'd pay money to see someone write "Duh!" in a response to reviewers letter. That made me very happy to think of, so thank you.

Anonymous said...

you are too funny! i love the figures!

i hope that today you wake up feeling better...

i am always wary of the OTC things for my headaches becasue they cause rebound headaches that then aren't fixed by the same med. at least that is my hypothesis for why advil pm worked the first time and not the second for you.

but seriously, i hope you feel better...

The Contessa said...

I too am a migraine sufferer and that graph was WONDERFUL!!!!

Maplemama is the best at researching those things. I myself go for the hard stuff now as with my immune system issues I have to be careful what I take. I'm a codeine to manage and a vicadin when it's lasted more than 2 days. When I feel it coming on, I try to hit it early and they are starting to be shorter now. Don't let it manage you and don't be a hero. The minute you feel head-achy - start pain management. trust me. I'm so glad you are better now!!!!!

Post a Comment