Friday, November 10, 2006

Ick and Hmmm

I can't watch The Wizard of Oz. It's on TBS and I've always liked the part set in Oz. Much like how I feel about Charlie once he gets to the chocolate factory. But due to a little reference I included in the post I shall not mention and reading Wicked at his urging, my stomach turns at the movie. Why did I taint that movie?! Though after Wicked, I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much... Hard to differentiate the reason I'm upset by it though, but it's upset that I am.

In other news - though equally self-indulgent, I'm pondering an email I sent tonight to a counselor at work.

Dear Dr. Counselor,

I wondered if you might have some time to meet. I've been struggling a bit (or maybe more than a bit) for months and started antidepressants in September when I was doing particularly badly. I went to therapy in grad school and really didn't like it, so I'm hesitant to try it again. So perhaps if I start with a quick meeting with you, you can advise me on what my next step should be.

I like my job - I've worked for Boss in Department since Date. But I had a bad experience with scheduling my defense in grad school and lost a lot of confidence in the transition and subsequent months. So I feel a bit lost here, though I've made moderate progress and have received incredible support from my mentors. Yet I struggle to make myself go to work some days (many days for some weeks) and feel...down a lot. We lost Winnie in July and I still miss her, though we weren't overly close.

Things just aren't good, and I'm not sure how to make them better. I think that sums it up. But I think I'm ready to get more help - I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. If you could offer any guidance, please let me know.

Thank you,
Katie

So I'll watch hockey and clean. Finish some laundry and transfer more data to my new external storage device. Because I'm certainly not watching Dorothy, et al. and I suspect there's time enough to worry about my mental issues later on.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I hope the counselor has some good ideas. Good luck!

Joy- Ms. Flamingo said...

Katie,
I'm glad you're checking this out. I didn't know about Winnie. So sad. Even if you didn't know her well, she was part of your work and life. It is hard to lose someone and hard to realize all her family lost. You are a kind soul and deserve to feel well. You are smart to reach out for help.

((((Katie))))

Anonymous said...

i hope the counselor will be helpful!
good for you for taking that step.

Post a Comment