Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Resolution

“Hello, trouble,” Adam said as he walked by my office. “My place. Two minutes.” I nodded, gathered my computer, pen and paper and wandered a few doors down.

“First,” he began as I got things set up for our meeting, “I wanted to talk to you about yesterday.”

“That’s why we’re here,” I offered lightly but soon sighed, sitting back in my chair and meeting his eyes. He offered that yesterday’s upsetting comments – which happened to be said in front of several people, by the way – were out of line.

“When people do that – and it does happen – you almost need to relax into it, recognize they’re fucking up and be amused.”

“I was very upset!” I protested and he nodded.

“I could tell,” he replied. “You went completely tense and your eyes narrowed – your entire presence screamed that you were defensive about it. Which is probably why she continued to lecture you even when I told her to stop.” I nodded and said I could work on it.

We went through some talking points and went our respective ways, agreeing to meet to check progress later.

“This is a kick-ass document,” he replied when I returned about 2 hours later. “I was looking through the pages you sent? They’re freaking awesome,”

“Thank you,” I said, reaching forward to pat his arm in gratitude. “I’m ridiculously easy to motivate – if you tell me I’m doing well or you sort of like me, I’m all for working constantly. But when I left here yesterday, I was demoralized! So I did nothing.”

He stared at me, probably not pleased that I – who tend to work from home every evening – had refused to do so under pressure. I lifted my chin stubbornly. “I like the guy,” I said, “but I have made no decisions based on personal feelings. Just because she fancies herself some kind of super-business-woman is not going to affect how I conduct relationships with colleagues.”

He nodded.

“Are you worried about how I act with people?”

He shook his head.

“I’m not going to be friendly to her,” I mumbled, beginning to work again and saw him hide a smile behind his hand out the corner of my eye.

I smiled too. And now, motivated, I shall return to my work.

2 comments:

Locks said...

yay! motivated!


how do i get me some of that?!

Anonymous said...

glad things seem resolved!

Post a Comment