Friday, October 03, 2008

Economic Instability

“Nobody’s talking about staffing cuts,” Adam said, looking around the large table. “But there will be some changes – attention to cutting costs, focus on margins, accountability for profitability.” We nodded and I spared a moment’s gratitude for two factors. One – I’m new and am therefore not seen as fully productive yet, and, two, I started fairly high up. I plan to stay in this role for a few years before trying to move up or over so as groups shift and responsibilities change, it’s not like my upward mobility is being stifled.

Still. It’s a little scary.

“We simply don’t have resources to support that,” I’ve told multiple people who make up my mountain of phone calls. “It’s a beautiful idea and we certainly wish you well with it. But we’re unable to help with any financial support.”

And though I’m thrilled with my house and car – they’re a bit more than I really ever thought I’d have – I do sometimes look around and feel the pressure to pay for them. And while I’m fine at the salary I make – industry does pay us quite well – any loss of status would mean I need to give back some of what I’ve taken.

And I don’t really want to do that.

(I’m heading home for the weekend and feeling a bit under the weather. Plus, I can’t seem to hit my blogging stride here lately. Not sure how to fix it.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No staffing cuts is actually great news, as far as industry goes these days.

Oh, and don't worry about the blogging stride. These things come and go.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I totally misread your first sentence (in my Google Reader window) as "Nobody’s talking about stuffing cats". Pretty confusing...

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I agree with citronella. I've been in a bit of a blogging stump since moving here and starting my prof job. I think that sometimes big life events give great blogging fodder, and sometimes events are too exhausting/draining/keeps us too busy to articulate them in blog posts.

Either way, we'll all stay tuned!

Post a Comment