Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Elucidation


Kitten-Abducting Terror from the Isolated Earth


Get Your Monster Name



I would like to point out that I did not abduct Sprout. He showed up and decided to stay! Honestly!

Likewise, I did not push Friend to get her hair cut. Much. When someone indicates she would like to cut off the damaged parts of her lengthy mane, I finally determined that I'd simply make 2 appointments when I went to fix the mess that was my former haircut and tote her along with me. It wasn't even hard to arrange - she was willing to part with some of her hair if said event was given as a gift.

We arrived at a new Aveda salon just moments late for our respective appointments. I took comfort tea while noting my new surroundings. Deep blues and light wood. Silver fixtures and large mirrors unblemished by surrounding frames. It was both classy and chic. I rather approved.

A petite stylist with dark hair approached and introduced herself to both of us. The receptionist decided Friend would work with Tiny Stylist while Male Stylist offered me a limp handshake and directed me to his station.

It was located across the room - separated by a huge product display - from Friend. Luckily we ended up in adjacent shampoo chairs after our consultations.

"What are you going to do?" I asked Friend eagerly. Male Stylist had sifted his fingers through my hair with a frown moments before as we attempted to decide the course of action for my hair.

"What happened here?" He asked, tsking me a bit. I told him I'd visited a local woman in my town and that I knew it was a bit poofy.

"There's this odd under-layer that's a whole different length." I explained to him. "I hate it. I've tried to tolerate it, but it's not subtle or pretty or anything. It's just..."

"Like a mullet." He finished my sentence, his distaste clear. I raised my eyebrows at him in the mirror. "Or a gypsy shag." He corrected himself. "Sorry."

"No." I sighed. "That's OK. I know. You're going to have to help me. Fix it."

So he planned and played and determined how short we'd have to go while trying to salvage some of the length from the cut I hadn't realized was quite so horrible as he believed.

Tiny Stylist replied when Friend stayed silent as we were draped in heated towels while the water warmed. "We were thinking an asymmetric bob." She teased. "Or a faux-hawk."

"That'd be a bit much." Friend offered dryly and I pouted in silence. I had a mullet-esque mess to fix and nobody was going to be nice enough to tell me the plan for Friend's hair. (And it really wasn't mullet-y. It had 2 distinct layers that weren't overly attractive, but I don't think it was all that bad.) But I like to know plans!

We separated again - after Friend was scolded for using Pantene. Apparently it coats your hair in some sort of plastic substance that is evil incarnate. I don't care. I like the smell. And my hair is thick and poufy - it can use the plastic coating to tame some of the fluff, I guess.

When we met again, I cooed over Friend's new hair. It was shining with health - the color was rather brilliant and I marveled at the wonder that is Aveda shampoo. It had volume and body, though it didn't look overwhelming or out of character at all. Soft layers - very subtle and still long - framed her face. I thought it was lovely and told her as much.

"Do you like it?" I asked, remembering to be worried after I decided my own above-the-shoulders cut with some gentle tapering would serve me well for the next couple months.

"I think so." She said and I wondered if I should have left her hair alone.

I do try to nudge life in the direction I feel is best. I admit that. But I also am pretty obvious in my approach so that people can push back at my manipulation if they find it's inappropriate.

If I had Friend's haircut, it would make me happy. I hope the same applies to her - that she looks at it and - just for a tiny second - admires the way it shines and swings and looks so pretty. If I were a cat, I like to think that having my own room with toys, blankets, food and water would please me. I don't know that I would share the stripey kitten's addiction to the laser pointer, but did I not purchase one when he showed inordinate fondness for Friend's? Yes. Yes, I did.

I worry about Maria since she looks to me for guidance I'm not sure how to provide. I was euphorically pleased this morning when I met Dr. Delightful and he provided solutions to many of the major problems associated with my project. I now have a direction in which to push. I'm best in those situations. It's when I don't have a plan that I flounder.

So, fine. Perhaps I am a bit pushy. Manipulative. Spoiled. But I did not abduct that kitten!

4 comments:

The Contessa said...

Sprout Abducted YOU!

I LOVE getting my hair done. I have been lucky enough to never go through hair cuts I don't care for though for two reasons. 1. my hair has been done by the same person ( both color and cut) since I was 12 2. I am not brave enough to do anything radical and I spend precious time negotiating length.

You sound super Katie - It shows through your writing.

YOu appear to be taking the world by STORM!

Quiche said...

So do you like your new cut?

I am very particular about mine. I refuse to get my hair cut from anyone without curly (or wavy) hair. They just don't understand. And, like you, I need the plastic coating pantene provides!

post-doc said...

You're sweet, Contessa. Not by storm though - I'm just around and trying to handle myself with some degree of normality. :)

LaKisha-
I do like my new cut, though I got zero compliments today. It's cute and professional. And completely straight courtesy of my Chi iron this morning.

It takes me a long time to find a stylist I really like. And yes, I require the Pantene - whatever it is that it's doing to my hair. :)

Maisha said...

lol!katie you killing me.ok,ok we know you didnt abduct the little kitty.lol!

who says you did?

love the hair-day out.made me remember my hair troubles tht im bloggin about now.

Post a Comment