Monday, June 16, 2008

Suck (or rhyme thereof)

Today has not been what I'd call a good day.

I talked to Brother, for the girls have both been sick of late. Little One has pink eye and a tonsil infection. Smallest One spent last night at the hospital with her mother due to excessive vomiting. This is awful - I hate it when children are sick and given that I love these particular kids to pieces, it's wrenching to think of them suffering.

Adam told me firmly not to worry yesterday. The relocation package is wonderful, he said. Moving is easy, he assured. Sure, I thought. So I emailed my HR guy at Industry. He said he would call today and my letter should be mailed within hours. He hasn't called, so I called him. Now I'll see if he'll return my voice mail.

If I move north, I am to start in three weeks. Three weeks is soon.

Chienne should have been driven home today. I put it off until tomorrow. Therefore tonight will be her last night spent in our beloved house. And while three weeks is soon, it's a long time for me to be away from my precious puppy.

Jill, my former secretary, called today. IncompetentIdiot is still holding up my travel reimbursement. My minor victory over small meals is going to turn into a major loss in credit card interest. Which frustrates me to no end, but IncompetentIdiot won't answer my calls so I can firmly scold her. Dammit! I deserve to scold her!

I recently was told Brother and his wife were going to a marriage counselor. Today Mom told me he moved out more than a week ago. Though I have very little to say that's good about the woman he married, I'm disappointed and deeply saddened that he can't make this work for Little and Smallest Ones. Lest the pity be placed with the one related to me, I'll say that one of my first questions related to who the new girl was. Mom believes it's someone at a bar Brother frequents. She also plans to visit said bar when she returns from vacation. I'm torn given that Brother's wife started sleeping with him when he was engaged to a girl I liked a great deal more. People who cheat suck. I'm so sad about this (though I'm kind of looking forward to hearing about Mom vs. Other Woman should that happen).

Cousin sent an email because I keep missing her lately when I call. Between my travel plans and hers, we're very unlikely to see each other before I move. And I love her and I'll miss her. And I wanted to see her again before I have to go away!

I think I'm doing that typical thing I do before I have to leave a much-loved friend. I get slightly distant and evil and impatient. I notice I'm giving Friend more brief nods rather than thoughtful responses to statements she makes. I'm increasingly self-involved (which may seem hard for my baseline is pretty high, but I can pull it off apparently).

Part of the reason I like reading blogs is that my emotional involvement remains in check. But I've come to realize that when I read someone for years, I fret over them much like I would a friend met in other ways.

So. Basically, there's worry and sadness and frustration the people are ignoring me over email (Industry), or I'm avoiding (Drug Company). I don't like this day at all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new reader, I feel like I need a cast of characters list, with all of your Industry, Brother, and RandomPersonIDon'tKnowPersonallyButWasMentionedInAPreviousPostFromFourWeeksAgo.

Psych Post Doc said...

Sorry about your brother, I agree people who cheat suck!

I hope you get all of your info so you can finally make a decision. Waiting is really hard.

3 weeks is so far away but so close at the same time.

Brigindo said...

Sorry the day feels sucky. Sick kids do get better and 3 weeks eventually passes. As for the brother, that does suck. b is going through a similar thing with his brother these days and it is always sad to hear of marriages breaking up, especially with kids.

I have a feeling Friend knows exactly what you're going through and will allow you the space you need to leave.

Good luck with Industry (and Drug Company).

Anonymous said...

sheesh, sorry for the recent suckiness, katie. too bad about brother, i hope all will work out for the best. sounds like a tough situation. i love your mom's plan though! and best of luck with the whole job thing. take care!

DrOtter said...

Ah that does suck. Perhaps you should consider changing the start date with industry? Relocations are traumatic enough without having to rush (I started new job 3 days after coming back to the UK, it was terrible).

In any case, please don't turn down drug company until you've signed on the line for industry.

Post a Comment