Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Pass the tissues, please.

My head hurts. I’m unsure if it’s from the couple of daiquiris last night or the copious weeping that occurred. Either way, I’m not feeling particularly well this morning, though Excedrin and coffee are beginning to help.

“I might cry,” I warned Friend when she walked in yesterday evening. Everything is different, I thought as I wiped at tears. I clipped back the branches of the schefflara so that it would be easier to move and it’s all choppy and ugly now. There are boxes and bags and dust – so very much dust – everywhere. I’m slowly moving things to the garage, leaving the rooms much less cluttered. But the absence of normality is becoming glaring. I’m very comforted by my possessions and as I carefully pack them away, I start to miss them. And life feels awkward and wrong.

“I’ll go with you,” I said softly and walked quietly behind Friend as she drove my car to get take-out. Chienne rode in the backseat – earning her two pork shoulders from the barbeque place – and we returned home. I had another drink instead of food and tried to explain why I was so very distraught.

“When I look at houses online,” I said and had to stop to gulp back sobs. I turned my gaze to the corner of room – where the ceiling meets the wall – and blinked and breathed. What I thought – but couldn’t say because the mental wanderings made me cry more – was that I’m looking at small cottages. A couple of bedrooms, perhaps two bathrooms and a basement for storage. I don’t need much space, I told the realtor in our initial (and only, thus far) conversation. I’d like a fireplace with a switch and a whirlpool bathtub, I thought dreamily, but in terms of square footage? I don’t need a whole lot. A yard for the dog – one that’s fenced already would be good – and lots of windows to let light in for the plants.

“I, um,” I tried again as Friend sat patiently across the room. “I guess I’m looking at the chances that I’ll end up with someone – have something real and valid – and understanding that it’s unlikely. That it’s just going to be me.”

She didn’t speak, looking at me with perfectly kind sympathy, and I stood to get a box of Kleenex. “The idea that I won’t get married and have children of my own makes getting to know the girls seem important. If I don’t have a family of my own, I should focus on loving the one my parents and brother made.” She nodded with understanding and I blew my nose.

I choked on a laugh when she assumed I’d been looking at houses up north rather than out west. “I’m too afraid to even glance at housing prices in California,” I confirmed. I expect I’ll think the coast is exquisite and understand why it's expensive to live out there. But I also think it won’t feel anything like home.

“I don’t know what I want,” I told Friend and she said she understood. “And even if I did, I don’t think I can get it.”

“Evidence seems to indicate otherwise,” she offered. “Since Drug Company appears to only be interviewing you and jumping through some hoops to do so.”

“I don’t know why though.”

“Because you’re good at your job? Have trained to do something exactly like what they need done?”

“I organized CDs and emailed files,” I reminded her dryly and she shook her head at me and said they’d now seen my CV. I comforted myself for a moment while thinking about how fast they’d moved, how flattered I was by their interest and how odd this all seemed.

“I got an email – one of those automated ones?” I told Friend with a shake of my head. “It thanked me for my interest and said that due to the high number of applications, I might not hear back from them unless my qualifications matched the job for which I applied. But I didn’t apply – someone else entered in my CV,” I breathed, thinking that was impossibly cool. “So I’m not even working to get behind the HR wall. They’re inviting me through the door and making sure the trip works for me and I’m wondering what’s wrong with them that makes them want me.” Which is typical – when I get something I’ve wanted, I often wonder what flaw put it in my hands. That’s not a good personality trait.

“When she called – one of these times – my contact asked, rather haltingly, whether she should be looking into spousal hiring programs. And I smiled and wondered if it was OK for her to ask that, but replied that it was just me.” My smile faded at the memory and I wiped new tears on my fingers. “It’s always just me.” I paused for a moment, sniffling, and blinked a couple times. “Hey! I could have asked for a job for you!” I exclaimed and mustered a weak smile.

“We could get married out there,” Friend agreed. “Oh! Can you videotape it when you tell your parents? I’d love to see that.”

I smiled and sighed. I don’t have romantic feelings toward Friend – not even a little. So we thought for a moment that it was kind of a shame we weren’t lesbians. “I’m not going to find a man to love me,” I whispered to her. “I can’t even find one to be my friend for very long. That makes me sad.”

“I know,” she said soothingly. “But you can still find someone. Don’t rule things out.”

“I’ll try,” I promised, knowing it’s something I’ll have to give one more shot before calling it over. “I’m just really sad.” I went to bed shortly thereafter, trying to read for a little while on a bed in the office. I breathed a sigh of pure relief when I heard Friend on the phone in the living room and grabbed a blanket to join her. I curled into a ball on one side of the couch, putting my head on the cushion propped between us.

She touched the crown of my head while I cried some more, and I wiped still more tears from eyes that were starting to sting. I listened to her talk science with her roommate, tuning out the words and taking comfort in her voice. I’ll miss you so much, I wanted to wail, but wept slowly and softly instead. I finally grew tired enough to sleep and we went to our separate bedrooms, me with a large hound, she with a pretty cat. I woke at 4 to realize my head and heart continued to hurt and emailed a corrected CV to the drug company as requested.

I don’t know what it is, honestly. I’m overwhelmed and conflicted, though I know the circumstances don’t really require such an emotional response. It’s just that things are changing and I’m scared. It’s times like this that I feel very, very alone and tend to react to that by shoving people away so I can wallow. I reminded myself not to become overly self-destructive while I washed dishes this morning. And I’m continuing to take antidepressants and I’m honestly not drinking much at all (in case anyone’s concerned). I’ll do well on the interview – I’m not worried about performance so much as what the hell I’ll do if they make a good offer.

So I’ll struggle and cry a lot. I’ll also revise those papers Boss finally read and talk to him tomorrow about job stuff. I’m having a massage and facial tomorrow at the spa – I scheduled them yesterday and have no plans to cancel that appointment. Friend will be around when I need to talk and she offered to hold my hand when I cried too hard last night. I realize I’m uselessly tormenting myself – it’s just what I do. I’ll come out of it soon, I’m sure. But until then, I can highly recommend the ultra-soft Kleenex. The box isn’t pretty, but the product is fantastic.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy your facial and massage, and I hope you enjoy the fact that your proven talents and skillset make you highly desired on the job market. The reason for this is your intelligence, diligence, organizational skills, and hard work.

Now that you are going to be leaving the coddling arms of academia and entering the real world, I suggest you get rid of that daiquiri shit and invest in a bottle of good whiskey.

Psych Post Doc said...

Change is tough. I was also very conflicted when I moved from grad school town to new city even though I knew it was for all the better.

I miss my grad school friends terribly but eventually we have to grow up and live our lives. :)

I hope the spa day does wonders for you.

hgg said...

or even better - a whisky

Anonymous said...

physioprof is right (although i don't like whiskey) - the more sugar in a drink, the bigger the headache, I find.

- A

Anonymous said...

as a fellow uselessly self-tormenting gal myself, i feel your pain and my heart cries for you, even if you don't think your emotions fit the situation. it sounds like a lot of change and uncertainty to me, and that is always scary.

post-doc said...

PhysioProf:
Yes. Academia is coddling and you're a giant teddy bear. With a purple bow around his neck. I don't want whiskey (or whisky, hypoglycemia girl, though my spell check underlines it without the e) though I'll keep in mind if the real world hurts too badly.

(And thank you for the compliment - that's kind of you. Especially since the facial and massage will cut into the 'hard work' component.)

Psych Post Doc:
Change is tough - I agree completely. I'll be fine once I get settled, but I'll probably continue to struggle for the next little while.

I've never had a facial - I'm quite eager to experience it! I hope it all helps too.

Anna:
You've mentioned that before. I'll keep it in mind - sometimes I don't feel badly afterward at all. So I'm blaming at least part of it on the crying this time.

Lasserday:
You're a darling for understanding - thank you for the sympathy. Much affection and many good wishes to you in return.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Whisky = Scottish, Whiskey = Irish. Very different. I believe most American versions of the drink are closer to the Irish style, hence your spellcheck confusion.

I don't know if what applies to me applies to you too, but your situation sounds like a classic case of the upset caused by a change of plans. I like to have things planned and mapped out in advance and if there's a sudden disruption once I've got used to thinking about things in a certain way, it can trigger some tears. e.g. when my wallet was stolen on our honeymoon in Portugal and I spent 2 days on the phone to the Canadian embassy figuring out how I was going to get my immigration documents sorted out so that I could actually go home again. They came up with a plan for me (I had to make a side-trip to London) and I just felt so much better having it all mapped out in my head. When Mr E Man started to present all kinds of alternative ideas that might avoid the London trip, I freaked out and started sobbing because I thought that once the plan was set I wouldn't have to think about it again for a while, and suddenly everything was all up in the air and uncertain again.

Sorry for the long ramble, but your situation reminded me very strongly of my breakdown in a Portuguese cafe. You thought all plans were set, and now the element of uncertainty is back...

Hope that helps, but my whisk(e)y lesson is probably more likely to be of actual use.

Estrella said...

Hope you're feeling better as you read this. Crying gives me a headache too, but sometimes the release of emotions is worth it.

I'm not going through the turmoil you're experiencing, but my near future is quite uncertain right now too. (I was freaking out, crying, etc. on the phone last night over my anxiety- although, sadly, without the help of any delicious alcohol.)

I keep trying to remind myself that God knows what He's doing, even if I don't. I don't know why it's so hard for me to remember that. Sometimes I write the words down, hoping that I can will myself to *really* believe them. I know you know it's true too, 'cause you've written about your faith before.

Say you get the CA offer in addition to the one that's pending (expected? not sure of the status). Then you have a choice. And it could be quite tough. And if you don't get the offer? Then hopefully it'll be easier for you to figure out where you're going. Either way, you will get through this. God IS with you, and He'll show you (eventually) where He wants you.

In the meantime, I'm sending you a virtual hug and my very best wishes for whatever your future holds.

P.S. Enjoy the pampering ... a massage and facial sound so wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Irish whiskey was what I was thinking of, Jameson to be specific.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Mmmm, yum.

post-doc said...

CAE:
Good to know about the whiskey/whisky. I'll keep it in mind. And you're exactly right about the change of plans. I was so relieved when the industry job happened because I could finally picture the future. Then when this opportunity came along, the comforting sense of knowing slipped and I panicked. I don't like uncertainty and adjusting to this new event - though it's exciting and wonderful - is difficult. Ramble anytime! That was helpful.

Estrella:
I know you have your own uncertainty right now (and I really don't mean to complain about having too many options - I know this is a blessing. Really!) but I'm confident things will work out for you very soon. I'll do more praying (and appreciate the reminder) and am grateful for the hug. Thanks.

PhysioProf & CAE:
I'll let you coo over whiskey without my daiquiri-like interference. So I won't ask if you couldn't put some sort of syrup or fruit in there to mask the bitterness. Just carry on without me!

Anonymous said...

You don't "coo" over whiskey! And it's not bitter.

post-doc said...

No cooing and no syrup? Then I really fail to see the point.

Anonymous said...

You win!

Locks said...

im sorry to read that you are feeling overwhelmed. i think changes like these are stressful and know that i am thinking good thoughts for you and hoping you feel better soon.

Non Tenured Assistant Professor said...

Moving is strassful and change too. You will see that things will fall into place.

And when you are not looking anymore, sometime that's the moment when you meet someone. Don't close the door, leave it open but live your life to the fullest.

A big hug!

Post a Comment