Sunday, June 08, 2008

Horror

Exhausted and should be sleeping, so you get bullets. Very sorry.

  • Up before 6AM.
  • Took dog for walk - very hot and sweaty, even before 7.
  • Sick while going to airport - poor Friend had to deal with me.
  • Didn't get seat assignment for second flight - worried I'd be on stand by. I've never been on stand by. I don't want to stand by.
  • I got a seat when I arrived in DFW.
  • The plane was broken so the flight was delayed.
  • And delayed.
  • And delayed.
  • Then we changed gates and I got to ride the little tram thing.
  • We got on the plane about 3 hours after we were scheduled to depart.
  • Then we sat for another hour - fully boarded - while a guy got on board and fixed more stuff.
  • We took off and I was terrified.
  • It wasn't so much bouncing as wiggling - a side to side motion that slammed me into the side of the plane and the nice woman next to me. Scary - turbulence bounces, yes? I wondered if broken plane wiggled.
  • Arrived unscathed, thankfully. Deplaned - was the last one off. Freaking last seat in the freaking late plane.
  • Got a car. From the trainee. Slowest trainee ever to be trained, I think.
  • Fought traffic. People said it would be light, but I do not believe them. People Were Driving. Lots Of People.
  • I'm also pretty sure the lanes here are smaller than those at home.
  • Though I am good at going fast. So I made it to my hotel relatively quickly.
  • I don't like the traffic. The travel was hideous. But California - even from the busy freeways - is lovely.
  • There are big hills that are rather brown (Are you dry, California? I thought you'd be all green. Is something wrong?) with these lovely trees standing atop said hills.
  • "Well," I said at one point, still clinging to the steering wheel with nervous terror, "you could be a postcard." Because in addition to the hills, there are all these flowers - vivid colors and bunches and clusters. All very pretty.
  • And it's cool and breezy - wonderful weather.
  • Alas, I arrived too late for beach-viewing.
  • And my dinner plans.
  • So I'm walking in the (long) interview tomorrow mostly blind.
  • I should rest so I'm at least focused.
I was thinking I'd do a movie theme for the posts out here - horror, documentary, um...something else for Tuesday. But perhaps horrible can describe the quality of this post - I'm really quite tired. I'll see if I can't do better tomorrow. Otherwise the theme can be 'California! Where Katie blogs even worse than normal.'

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to California! (Dryness is our usual fate here, I am afraid.)

Look at the bright side: arriving late meant not having the dinner you couldn't refuse but didn't want to go to. Of course it was so that you can rest quietly but...

Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

hgg said...

good luck on your interview!

post-doc said...

Citronella:
It really is pretty - if someone were driving me around so I could coo over the pretty and ask what things were, I'd be thrilled. As it is, I'm too busy asking drivers to scoot, please, because I need that lane or apologizing for not allowing them into the lane I'm using. I'm going to aim for beach time on Tuesday on my way back to the airport, so I should be happier then.

Hypoglycemiagirl:
Thank you! My body doesn't understand this time zone so I'm wide awake at 4AM. Unfortunately, this means I'll be a yawning moron at dinner tonight around 8.

The good news is that I did hear from Adam (in Industry) and the offer should be ready by the time I get home! So I'm relieved and happy about that - I did not lose the job I already had so I can interview with much less stress about this one that I may not even want. At this point, I'm just hoping I don't embarrass my contact and host for this visit. She worked hard to get me here, so I'll work hard to look reasonably impressive.

Brigindo said...

Sorry about the horrible flight. Good luck at the interview and I hope you have some time to enjoy California.

Estrella said...

Hope today went better than yesterday!

Psych Post Doc said...

Glad you arrived safely and I'm sure they'll be very impressed.

Can't wait to hear more about your CA adventure.

Anonymous said...

I just left California after a few days of meetings. Weather was great. While I did not have quite the adventure you did, I did have flight delays today.

Good luck!

Post a Comment