Friday, June 16, 2006

Let's say I'm a polar bear.

Note: I'm going to talk about some overly cute example and it's going to take some time. If you're in the mood for something a bit more interesting and well-written, try Ceresina. She mentions me! Oh, and I was right about her being wise.

I watched a polar bear show today. For those of you not lucky enough to work from home some days, air conditioner on, blinds closed against the searing sunlight, working on research and watching television, I’ll provide a summary.

A hunter killed a mommy polar bear and one of her cubs. The other cub (apparently they're born in pairs) survived and was rescued by law enforcement then sent to the Toronto zoo. Apparently the bears are quite vicious, so the cub couldn’t be introduced to their adult population. He was therefore kept alone, with only his caretakers for company, until he could be transferred to a more suitable location.

I love animals. Not even in the reasonable, scientific way. More in the Look at you! You cute little bundle of cuddles! sort of way. Polar bears – even as adults as they swim around in their pools – are adorable. So when presented with a baby, even on TV, I cooed and closed the laptop so I could give the little guy my full attention. He played in the snow, ate his food, took treats from a zoo employee through his fence. He made noise, splashed in his shallow pool and pounced on his favorite blue bucket. I loved him very much. As did those zoo folks.

It wasn’t easy. He was lonely, and while the people who cared for him were able to offer some company, it wasn’t wise for them to get overly attached. He stopped crying after only a couple of days upon arrival, but would wait at the gate in the morning for his people to arrive. So perhaps life wasn’t perfect, but it was certainly OK. He gained weight, got bigger – did what baby polar bears are to do, I guess.

At some point, it was decided that little (well, he was pretty big by then) Inukshuk would join 2 female bears at the St-Félicien's Wild Zoo. He entered his transport cage quite easily and two of his Toronto people went with him to his new home. He ran over to the Toronto employee when she called him, and I sobbed when she said good-bye. She commented while walking away - something about how this was best for him. How he’d be happy and forget all about her in his amazing new home.

After quarantine, where he met his new friends through a fence, they decided the bears were ready for their gorgeous new living area. The woman in charge said that Inukshuk would be the first one out – the females would be slower to explore when their cages were opened. Of course, the ladies emerged immediately, wandered around, played in the pool. Inukshuk took a long time, tentatively poking out his head before leaving his safe little enclosure for the open space full of snow and rocks. Always one to cheer for the slower or more scared creatures, I watched nervously.

As he wandered out, the girls came to see him. And they were mean. I called them nasty names through gritted teeth while I narrowed my eyes threateningly at the screen. Awful girl bears! He eventually started to growl and swipe at them with his bigger paws. The zoo employees watched from above the pen and reassured the viewers that he was bigger than the females and would be fine. He didn’t appear to know that he was a polar bear, but he’d learn. It would all be OK.

The last challenge, the TV informed me, would be this steep slope up to the pool. The ladies – true to their evil form – were splashing around, taunting poor, dear Inukshuk as he’d start to climb, then retreat, finally peeking over the top of the snow and watching his new roommates play. When he reached the edge of the water, they tried to guard it (little hussies!) but he eventually dove in.

And couldn’t swim. His little splashing pool in Toronto hadn’t taught him to use his legs, to relax and let his blubber float him along safely while he paddled his big white limbs. He flailed about with his arms though and eventually made his way back to the side of the pool. One of the zoo people said that he learned to hold on to the edge with one paw – just to be safe – until he figured out the swimming thing. So there was a sweet ending – the website informs me they’re all still around so I assume the three bears are getting along, playing and swimming, doing bear activities. Lovely.

I’ve been considering a situation that I probably shouldn’t discuss online. So I’ll see if I can talk around it and come up with something coherent.

I struggled in grad school. Got depressed. Experienced test anxiety for the first time in my life. Seriously considered leaving (more than once). But I made it. It was tough – I cried. But there were enough people who came to feed me treats through a fence. So I splashed in my little pool for a while, then had someone who said I should try something a little deeper. Then added colder water. Then threw in some irritable bears who didn’t immediately like me.

But it was all slow. My zookeepers got to know me and nudged more than pushed. I’m horrified by the idea of disappointing anyone, so the nudges were more than adequate. If someone told me I had to make my way across an icy pond, I was heading out there. If I sank, I knew I could call for help and be unceremoniously yanked out. I trusted my people. I still do.

I know of someone who has been struggling, and due to my own experiences, have offered encouragement and hope. She’s recruited a network of zookeepers, has been offered many chances at the same pool depth, has been encouraged then nudged then pushed. Nothing’s working. She just can’t seem to figure out how to paddle her legs. And instead of hanging on to the edge, floating around, getting scared by sinking a little bit then finding out that, oh, look, I can swim after all!, she scampers away from the pool. She finds some otters to talk with – and the otters are lovely, I’m sure – but they’re not polar bears. Then waits for the zookeepers to bring her food, shaking her head over returning to try at the pool.

At some point, if an animal is miserable in its new environment – can’t adjust, figure life out, make some attempt at an effective existence, a responsible zookeeper would, I think, remove that animal. The polar bear would have to go somewhere else if he can’t interact with the other bears very well, do normal bear activities, make appropriate progress. The kind action, I think, might be to take the bear by the paw and explain that he’s an excellent animal. But perhaps he’s not cut out to be a polar bear. Could just be temperament. Might be background – maybe he spent so long in his splashing pool that he just can’t make sense of deeper water. Perhaps, if given the choice, he’d make a better horse. Or giraffe. Or elephant. Something that didn’t have to swim in such deep, cold water.

I don’t know. It pains me to say – especially in this case, because I like the person in question a great deal and find her to be quite talented – but perhaps being a polar bear isn’t for everyone. Even those who initially thought it seemed like a lovely plan. It strikes me as quite unfortunate that there might be some shame - if only imagined - for her in saying that the cold depths just aren't for her. And sometimes, even as I paddle my way across the pool, I wonder if I want to continue to be a polar bear myself.

8 comments:

DrOtter said...

I have the cute furry animal gene as well. It's definately genetic.
I like this post alot. It reminds me of my experience of grad school a bit (although I dont think it was so bad for me). I think what you are trying to do for the person is so decent and good, but supporting them is also about helping them do what will make them happy. Polar bears have the coolest black noses, I bet they'd fit in just brilliantly with black bears and grizzlies (who, occasionally have white cubs). There is, also, such a thing as too much external support. Sink or swim has to happen at some point, no matter how cold the water is. (you got through it)

ScienceWoman said...

I know someone who sounds a lot like the person (er, polar bear) who you described at the end. Everyone really likes her, she's been offered lots of chances and support, but she's just not willing to swim on her own. And she's 3 years into a PhD.

post-doc said...

JustMe-
You're sweet - thank you. I actually liked this post though I think it may have crossed the line into too cute with the analogy.

Propter Doc-
Agreed - at some point you have to decide to swim and see if it works. What concerns me is that I don't feel qualified to tell her I don't think it's working, and those people who should make that call aren't doing so.

Which gets to ScienceWoman's point - how long do you spend on a graduate career that's "preparing" you for something you won't do well regardless? If you don't start asking questions, thinking critically, becoming motivated and interested in the material, you're just not a grad student (er, polar bear). :)

DrOtter said...

On Science womans point -
one guy that started his PhD year after me was clearly not cut out for it. So he's over shot the British standard of three years, switching project drastically when he began his third year. He was working on a moderately hard project in the group, shifted to the project that just got the nature paper (seeking glory with no real effort). He's going to get the PhD but is considering teaching or finance. So he went all the way really, and could not, at any point, show interest, think critically or (more importantly) show any initiative to lead his own research project.
He used to annoy me so much - I just couldn't understand why he didn't know what to do next, why he made no suggestions about the next thing to try, why he couldn't comment on any seminars or anything. I'm so glad he's leaving research.
We all noticed this about him, but its not my place to tell him as another grad student that he's not got it (in my opinion), and the supervisor wasn't going risk a drop out because it looks bad on him.
Sigh.

post-doc said...

Propter Doc-
I'm not so great at research myself sometimes, so when I think someone is struggling too much, chances are there's a real problem. But yes, it's frustrating when some people seem to be more lucky and coddled than good. I think what's nice is that things tend to work out. In your case, he'll leave research and all will be well (except for some lingering irritation and frustration from the people who actually do their work well, of course).

The problem I have with these struggling folks is they take resources and opportunities from people who are more deserving and could do more with them. But I'm not sure what can be done about that. Zookeepers aren't infallible.

STM-
Aw, flattery. Thanks for the kind words on a rather cutesy post. :)

The struggling student started grad school immediately after undergrad (as did I, actually). I hadn't thought of it, but yes, I'm sure that contributes to the problem. There's the thought that I've done academic work in the past, so grad school should be feasible. Plus, leaving academia is a bit scary - better the evil you know than the one you don't.

I'm still quite tempted by thoughts of leaving the zoo though. It's good to remember that there are other options when I feel trapped and inadequate as a polar bear sometimes. The difficult part for me is deciding what's normal - how much can you paddle without getting anywhere - and what signifies a basic inability to swim?

Abbey said...

I just watched a new polar bear cub get pushed out this year. I think she had great potential and really wanted to be a polar bear. But the polar bear community decided they didn't like her and targeted her for extinction. I did what I could to give her the comfidence to stay, I offered to practice her swimming, her normal bear activities, etc. but eventually she gave up and left.

To me, upon entering the zoo, it's been sad to know that you don't get to just be a polar bear, that others get to determine what your bear experience is going to be, and that polar bears are...well, viscious, just like the hussy bears in your story.

I'm in my final stages of becoming a real polar bear but I've hated almost every second of it and am looking forward to transfering into something more of a petting zoo.

Yes, cute polar bear stories force me to de-lurk. The only thing that would have been more drawing would be a penguin or kuala bears story.

apparently said...

A polar bear a year (or 2?) younger than me could not swim. He couldn't float, he couldn't do much of anything in the water. After two years our zookeeper and polar bear had a talk. The polar bear decided that he was probably more suited for the forest and left. A good zookeeper should have the ability to help those who can swim, swim and those who can climb tress to move to the forest. The problem is that all polar bears think they need to swim. Some of them have mommy or daddy polar bears. And some never thought of anything else. The forest is a great place to be, even for a polar bear.

ceresina said...

Ah, mutual wisdom. :-)
I can't swim either; unfortunately, I need to at least, erm, dog-paddle in order to do what I want. (So I can't go to the forest). My own zoo-keeper has had problems with that, because he adores the water.
Wow, I'm really convoluting the metaphor here. Anyway. Why does your polar bear think she wants to be a polar bear? To leave metaphor for a bit, is there some other discipline/department she might be more suited for?

Post a Comment