Sunday, July 09, 2006

Hello. How's it going?

I'm back from a lovely weekend at home. I listened to music and sang on the way there. Then rubbed at my chest when I wondered if Winnie had been happy on her trip the week before.

Chienne decided to ignore my request that she wait in the car while I went inside a gas station. Instead, she slipped by me, sans leash, and ran around an empty field. When I called her? She just pranced a bit more, ignoring me and preening for the people who were watching with various degrees of amusement and concern. If I follow, she'll run farther. I think after being raised with trips to the dog park, she feels safe when I'm following her around and will sprint until she's exhausted.

So I walked back to the car, hearing the jingle of my tags as she followed me. I turned to get her and she swept past me, the car, then the building on her way to another field. She returned to me only when I hid behind a van and called her. It was stressful and I was furious. So I lectured on appropriate behavior on road trips for a good 30 minutes. Neither of us enjoyed it.

The Little One arrived with my parents shortly after I got there. We played and talked. It's rather stunning to me that she really understands what I'm saying. I mean, I've talked to my dog for years and she only knows a few words. That lecture I gave after the gas station? Went right over her brindled little head. But the Little One looks at you while she listens then responds in a way that indicates complete comprehension.

Oh! And she learned to say my name! I'm so flattered and pleased. Though I can get an "Aunt Kat" or "Katie" not "Aunt Katie." But it's good to have goals - she'll get it sooner or later. She's also quite stubborn. Big on "No!" and "Go!" and "Mine!" which... Honestly? It gets a bit tiresome. But she's adorable and smart and wonderful.

There's more, but this isn't my best post ever. I'm sleepy and sore and scattered from being in the car for so long. So I'll tell a story tomorrow - I have some ideas. But I missed you guys. I'm going to catch up with your news and share mine tomorrow afternoon.

I've also been bad about responding directly to comments (and some email - so unlike me) but I very much appreciate your thoughts lately. Thank you.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

welcome back :) I'm glad you had a nice time.

ceresina said...

Welcome back!
You should get used to Chienne's behavior, though, because even though the Little One can understand you? doesn't always mean she'll *listen* to you.

Anonymous said...

Yes, welcome back!

I dog sat over the weekend and had my won doggie adventures. I had the fun of walking a young 65 lbs pitbull/collie mix, who was surprising good on the leash (except when he thought he *might* be able to catch that squirrel). He also thought he was a lap dog.

And we have been reading about Ms Chienne for months now, any chance of some doggy-picture blogging?

Post a Comment