Saturday, February 11, 2006

Update

A few things while I'm waking up again.

Thank you for the comments on the last post. I tend toward gushing praise when I like people ever so much, so that's where this is going. If I lived near each of you and we had actually met offline, I would call you all the time. We could go to dinner (I would buy), see your favorite movies, shop for much beloved books. Then I could hug you all the time, shower you with presents, and tell you how grateful I am to have you in my life.

Of course, then you'd have to deal with my mood swings and stress to a much greater degree. But the presents would be really cool, I promise.

Getting to read your words - whether they're here in my comments or within your own posts - is truly a privledge. So I feel lucky to have caught your attention, and truly appreciate any thought you might give my situations.

My days lately have looked something like
5AM awaken, stumble to living room, read blogs, feed/water dog, get ready and leave
6AM drive to Starbucks, order iced coffee so its consumption is unhindered by excessive heat
6:30AM work
4PM fight traffic to drive home
9:30PM fight against falling asleep like an old woman, but lose.

So today was
5AM awaken, look at clock at shock and dismay, sigh and progress to living room to read blogs
8AM back to bed
11AM awaken again, read a book, eat lunch
1:30PM back to bed
3:30PM awaken again, assure the dog I'm not dying, and return to the laptop.

So now I really should be rested, and ready to write something. I like to update on weekends since the readership is smaller and there have been many days where I scowl at bloglines and wonder where all the writers have gone. So if anyone happened to wonder about me, I was sleeping.

4 comments:

Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

No (implied) apology necessary. Most of us, I suspect, have been using the weekend to catch up on the recreational sleep we can't afford during the week--that mid-day sleep when you realize that falling asleep feels *really good* when you're doing it just for the sake of doing it. I suppose it's a sign of getting older that the pleasures of the nap are starting to form a part of my repetoire of Things That Make Life Worth Living, but so be it. So, we're here, too, but like you...we're asleep. (And grateful to have you in our lives, too.)

phd me said...

As one who has perfected the minimum amount of time one need be conscious in any 24-hour period, I salute your excessive sleeping! I figure, if we need "excessive" amounts of sleep, our bodies/minds are trying to tell us something. Certainly, I could accomplish much more if I was in a vertical position for more hours in the day, but, if I may point out, I have not been sick at all this winter, while people around me are dropping like flies from various icky illnesses. Now that's a perk for smacking the alarm off and scrunching back under the covers!

And I would so love someone to go to the movies with me. :)

Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

That *would* be nice, wouldn't it? Maybe we should all consider moving...

post-doc said...

Move here! I have to stay at least another year to finish things up, but you're both looking for jobs, right? If you ever end up in my little section of the US, let me know. The offer of presents, movies and free meals will remain open. :)

Post a Comment