Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Teaching

I read your blogs. I see posts about problem students, review packets, incredible lectures and unfair evaluations. I try to think about those things, relate them to how I might approach things, but there’s this big mental wall.

When I approach the wall, there’s a little old man on top. He smiles at me when I get close.

“Hello.” I say to the old man, head back as I meet his gaze from his perch high atop the stone structure.

“Hi there.” He replies, easy and friendly.

“What’s over there?” I ask, just like I always do.

He looks, sometimes turning his back to me completely as he observes the goings on that I can’t see. He returns his attention to me, and shakes his head.

“There’s nothing there for you.” He says.

So I nod, then wave to him as he guards the barrier between me and passing on knowledge via classrooms. I can write papers, give seminars, work with students individually. I enjoy these pieces of the academic experience. I screw them up, seek to improve, but overall, they’re comfortable formats.

I didn’t teach at all in grad school. I put it on my pastel colored timeline that I showed proudly at my prelim. It was on my list of things to do for about 18 months. I even looked over the syllabus for my advisor’s class and tried to pick a lecture I’d give. Just one lecture – like a seminar, but with notes. Never happened. Perhaps I have little skill in teaching, but I rock at avoiding unpleasant tasks.

I don’t mind public speaking. I get nervous, but once I’m engrossed in my presentation – thinking more of the material than of how I appear to my audience – I’m fine. While I’m not crazy about being shaky with apprehension before the talk, I crave the rush of relief that follows it. The questions, the ideas, the flow of information – I loved that part of interviewing and finishing my thesis work. There's something powerful in the verbal - in watching expressions and adjusting accordingly. In telling a joke and the instant gratification of laughter. The give and take is sexy somehow - compelling in a way that makes me feel like an important piece of the puzzle.

So why don’t I teach? I respect it completely. I think it’s incredibly honorable to develop ways to pass on information. To be excited or to push through when you’re not so inspired. To get glowing evaluations or to be unfairly slammed by miserable students. (To be fair, there were many days where I was lost in mental anguish in grad school, and it can be tremendously difficult to resist from inflicting that pain on some professors. My better judgment always won out, but I can see where some people would gleefully slash at professors, even talented ones.)

I think part of me is afraid of that. Of damaging someone accidentally. Of explaining something wrong. Not knowing the answers to questions, or worse, not caring. I don’t get lost in proofs and thrilled from developing known concepts from first principles. In fact, when I read, I look at figures, read text, and think “blah blah numbers equations blah blah” when I get to those sections. I don’t want to teach things incorrectly or stifle some innate curiosity by saying the wrong thing.

I do have some skill though, and feel a bit guilty that my mental wall with its nice little guard prevents me from contributing in that way. So I’m tutoring. Junior high. For an hour each week. Peeking through a tiny crack in the wall, one located very near the ground so I don’t have to stand on my tip toes to see through it.

Things went well yesterday – we talked about multiples and factors. We played a game. Then they wrote out multiples for different numbers.

One girl took 11s. So she went through them. 11 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99 110 111 112.

So I’m nodding along, but if you noticed, things sort of fall apart there at the end. So I stop nodding, and frown.

“OK.” I begin. “That’s great through 11x10! But I don’t know about 11x11. Can we write that one out for me?”

So the five of us gather around a single white board, and I begin to write upside down so they can see the numbers.

“So, 1x1 is 1 – that goes here. 1 x this 1 is 1, and that goes next to the first 1. Then we put a 0 here in the next row to hold the place, and use this left 1. That goes there, then this goes here, and we add. So…121, right? Does that look right?”

Nods from 2. One cocked his head. The other shook hers. “That’s not right. You have this 1, then another 1, then the other 1 just goes out front. 111.”

Taken aback, I think, no! You can’t just make up math rules!

And that’s the problem. I can tell you how I think about it, how information clicks into place for me. But beyond that? Just…no! I just told you how to do it, and I don’t know how to do it another way. But those extra 1s? They go underneath! Not in front! Because...those are the rules!

I took a breath and dived in to another example with multiplying 2 digit numbers. But I was frustrated with my inability to know what to say. I can multiply! I feel much more comfortable with my understanding of that subject than what I currently research. So I’m disappointed, circling numbers near the not-so-great end of the scale for my personal evaluation.

The man at the top of the wall watches me. He smiles fondly, not encouraging or discouraging. Just waiting, pondering my decisions, peering down as I weigh my words and frown over white boards. I wonder, as I wave again and start to walk away, if I really understand what’s on the other side of wall. Or if I’m ever going to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

Sounds like you are in a field in which there are other options besides teaching, so if you don't want to do it, more power to you.

But if it's just a matter of worrying about being bad at it, I think everyone is at first. I was, but my grad school requires a lot of teaching, so into the classroom I went. Over and over.

I'm still ambivalent about teaching as a real, full time, until-retirement job, but at least I no longer quail at the image of me up at the chalkboard. Like everything else, you get used to it.

Yr. Hmbl. & Obdt. said...

Personally, I was lucky. I majored in Theater, and I was part of an Improv Comedy troupe for several years. (I know, shocking, given the dourly humorless nature of my postings.) So getting up on my feet and thinking fast and taking what they give me and turning it around into something that keeps their focus was something I was prepping for for years before I even knew I was going to teach. But even so...it's still hard. When you've come as far down the path as we have, so many things seem so self-evident that the idea of explaining them seems...alien. And when we have to, we stumble. We're so focused on pushing forward on our own journeys, that people who are miles and miles behind us feel like foreigners.

The trick, I find, is memory. We simply have to pause and think back to how we learned what we now know and love. Because if we can do that...we can teach it. Because there's something inherently beautiful about knowledge--all knowledge--and learning, however hard, is something that feels *good* to accomplish. You have to remember, then, when it started to feel *good* for you. And who made that happen. And how. For some reason, at some point--math for you, literature for me--some teacher reached us in a profound way. How? What did he/she say/do? Why did you suddenly care? Think back to your teachers--as far back as you can go. Let them be the ones who help you now. They didn't just teach us their math and literature. They taught us to teach.

So when you tutor, put yourself among your pupils--remember who you were when you started to care. If you can say to your students, with empathy and candor, that you remember what it was like to be them, and what worked for you, and that math is something that one can not just learn, but love--and I'll bet you that you can do this--then you can teach. I have every faith in you. The man at the top of the wall isn't the one who gets to make the call. You are. When you're ready.

CharlieAmra said...

You certainly have all the skills and the necessary compassion to teach. The fact that you take the responsibility so seriously speaks volume about the kind of person you are.

I agree with j. dryden, in that you must love what you are teaching. Find some connection with the subject matter and use your own natural enthusiasm to convey the message.

I still keep in touch with several of my former students (mostly the ones who went on to grad school or who have taken jobs in science). Teaching is what I miss most about not being in academics. It is so full of surprising rewards. To be there when they "get" what you are teaching and begin to understand is an amazing feeling. Wait until you get to experience it, it will make all your hard work and efforts worth while.

post-doc said...

I think these comments illustrate why I keep coming back to my thoughts on teaching. I think it's profound - finding ways to explain information you think important. I also think, like anything else, experience would ease my nerves and give me some idea of what works and what doesn't.

I do take it incredibly seriously. I guess I've seen (and read) about great teachers who I'm quite sure I can't touch in terms of talent and passion, and have watched other professors crash and burn so spectacularly that I recoil from the idea of being like them.

I'm still working things out in my head, so thanks for the comments. It's good to think about them.

Post a Comment