Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Hello out there: some notes to visitors

I’m not really ready for visitors, though I admit to a slight addiction to my sitemeter to see who happened to stop by. I have, however, read over my paltry selection of archives and wonder how redundant one person can actually be. One of my huge problems with seminars and conferences and courses is that many educated people fall in love with hearing themselves talk. So enamored are we with having someone, anyone, listen to us, we tend to ramble on – thinking of countless ways to make the same point, when everyone understood what we were talking about within the first 2 minutes. Also, I’m not funny, so this isn’t great yet. Maybe eventually it’ll get there. I have a whole plan on what I'd like to see included, and I promise I'll back off the recurrent theme I have going here. Send an email and I’ll let you know if there’s ever something you should return to read. In the meantime, you could visit some of the links I put up last night. Some are other academic folks who have apparently escaped the tendency toward pointless, redundant ramble and say interesting, funny things.

Others have no relevance to what I’d say here. I’ve visited some forever, to the point where I can’t listen to Coldplay without glaring at the radio, thinking of the silly boy (I’m so excited she’s moving on though!), am fascinated with the lawyer's insight, sigh with hope and envy over the fledgling love of an actress. I have some experience dealing with waiters, not so much with bouncers, but I know without a doubt that some of the most thought-provoking, profound, entertaining thoughts are happening outside academic institutions. The point is that there are people out there with beautiful voices who have a lot to say. So if you happened upon this site while bored and looking for something to read, those are some of my suggestions. And most of them lead to other favorites, so that’s my contribution to helping you procrastinate.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

post-doc said...

The sitemeter is going to be a problem for me - I'm completely addicted. So as I pause between lit searches, I'd like to say how much I love Manchester in the UK - I took some of my favorite photos there! Oh, and I visited Fermi Lab once. Nice. I saw a detail listing from NY and LA - I've never been, but have always wanted to visit. Utah, Oregon, North Caroline, Australia (which is in my top 5 of places to visit), Yemen (yep, Yemen) - nice to have all of you around.

ScienceWoman said...

I've just arrived (you linked to me) and only read your last two posts, but please don't downplay your voice. We each have something unique to say, and unlinke in a lecture, no one has to come here and listen to you. Sure, it takes a while to find your voice (hell, I'm still finding mine), but I think I'm going to enjoy the ride. :) Good luck.

Post a Comment