Tuesday, December 05, 2006

All about a sweatshirt (but not really)

I frowned at the bright red garment. I tend to wear the same sweatshirt as a jacket all week for walks, then rotate the next one through. This is a red week, but it would clash badly with my purple stripey sleepy pants. I considered switching the knit pants for another color, but realized I was closer to my coat closet. Perusing my never-used winter coats and my rarely-worn midweight jackets, I smiled and reached for a gray fleece pullover. Then I headed out to take a walk, pulling out a peppermint I left in the front pouch the last time I wore the soft shirt.

“Do you remember what you were like at 22?” I asked Friend some time ago. I can’t remember where we were, but I do remember glancing over at her. She smiled and made some affirmative noise.

“Did you have everything figured out?” I continued my inquiry.

“Of course.” She replied kindly. “I was going to be a doctor!”

Briefly distracted by the horrifying thought of what med school must be like, it took a second for my self-centered nature to kick back in.

“I knew everything.” I sighed. “What do you think happened between now and then?”

I arranged a pre-open house visit to my graduate campus on the day I turned 22. That will be 6 years ago next month. I woke very early in my parents’ house, opened my presents, received birthday hugs and kisses, then assured Dad we’d be careful. Mom and I got in the car and headed northish.

After several hours, she dropped me off at the designated door, squeezed my hand and wished me luck as I clutched the printed email in my hand. The other information – careful notes on specific labs, copies of my transcripts and glowing recommendations they already possessed with my application materials, a schedule that had been memorized in order to visualize the meetings, a list of questions when I only had one I needed answered - were tucked neatly in a folder.

I entered an insanely hot entryway – it was always overly warm in those few feet of space – and moved through one more door. Straight down a hallway where I paused to face the wall at my left. There was a glass case full of photos – all the members of the department. Faculty, staff, students. Post-docs were few and far between in my graduate department. I looked at the tiny head shots and thought of how smart they all must be. How lucky they were to have been accepted – to have gained entry in a group to which I desperately wanted to belong.

Undergrad had been good to me. I was finishing easily in 4 years after changing majors before beginning my third semester. I delighted in my Suma Cum Laude status – nearly assured even before beginning my final term. I had excelled in honors courses, felt moderate stress, but was always confident in my ability. My GRE scores didn’t put me in the genius category, but they were well above average. I’d had enough involvement in extracurriculars and volunteer groups. If we decided not to speak of the subject test of the GRE (and I prayed that we would decide exactly that throughout the day), I was an excellent candidate. I even came with a year of funding! Like a free gift with purchase!

But, well, I’m Katie and I’m a worrier. I didn’t know if they would allow me to study there. I entered the office and introduced myself – beginning a day of receiving guides and handbooks, papers and descriptions of labs that I would spend hours reading after my return home. I got an agenda on pretty stationary and ran my fingers over the raised seal at the top corner. I met the chair, whose name I had carefully practiced until the strange syllables rolled off my tongue more naturally. I would train other prospective students to say it in later years when I was involved in recruitment.

Then I met with the man who would share advising responsibilities for me throughout my first year. He also chaired the admissions committee and had invited me to visit alone – before the large group of students would appear to tour the department and make lab selections. He explained the process to me – finding a mentor who not only shared my interest, but had money with which to pay me. We discussed courses and how well my background was suited to their program. I was attentive and asked all the right questions, offered all the correct responses. But my stomach was tight with the need to know my status. The committee had finished meeting – they knew what they wanted. And I needed to have the knowledge as well.

“When will I know about the admission decision?” I bravely asked. Then rapidly backed away from the information, terribly frightened about being denied something I wanted so badly. “I don’t have to know now.” I said quickly, for he let silence hang in the air habitually and I would nervously seek to fill it. “I just wondered about the timeline. I so badly want to be here.” I finished, then sat as he nodded at me.

“Katie.” He finally said after considering me for a moment. “I wouldn’t have asked you to visit unless we very much wanted you to join us next year. You’re the ideal candidate, honestly, and we think you’ll do very well within the program. At this point, we’re hoping to give you enough information to make a good decision for yourself.”

“I want to be here.” I said, quickly, sincerely and with a growing feeling of joy.

“Then you’ll be here.” He smiled and I must have glowed from the relief and happiness and overwhelming confidence that the world was full of perfection. If something happened to go badly? That was fine! Because I had somehow landed here – the heartbreaking knowledge that I didn’t get the guy was replaced with the certainty that he would have screwed up the plan that landed me in that department at that time. If I had to move away from home, I was ready. This was worth it. Lovely. Exactly right.

At the end of the day, still having boundless energy and happiness, I opened the door to the car when Mom picked me up.

“I’m in!” I announced on a giggle before I had even closed the door behind me.

“What?” She asked, already smiling back at me.

“They want me to come here! I said I would! I’m in! It’s so amazing and wonderful and right!”

“Oh, Katie.” She breathed, turning to pull into traffic. “Congratulations. You deserve this and I’m so happy for you.”

“I’m happy too! Mom, everything led to this! I’m going to learn all this amazing stuff and do research and write papers. Everyone is so smart and welcoming, and I think I know where my desk will be. I picked two labs and both advisors are excited about me. About me!”

We went for pizza. Talked and laughed over salads and campus specials – we were trying to fit in. It was the only time I ever had the campus special. When I had finished providing details about every person, lab, moment, she told me how she’d done some shopping, some driving around. She approved of the campus and general area. It was the right place for me to be.

When we returned the hotel, she handed me a shopping bag. “Happy birthday and congratulations.” She smiled.

And I peeked in the top to see my gray fleece shirt. It had a tiny seal on the left side, encircled by the name of the university. “Because you’re going to go here next year.” Mom said, her hand on my back as I pulled out the shirt to more closely examine its wonderfulness.

Whenever I wore it during that last semester of undergrad, I was reminded of how I’d figured out my life. I had a plan and though I didn’t have a job in mind, one – the right one – would certainly present itself. I would meet the right man – I had lost all the weight I needed to lose and was quite pretty. He would love me madly, of course, seeing all those qualities that the guys so far had somehow missed. It was all going to be fine. No, better than fine. Perfect.

At some point, I stopped wearing that sweatshirt. The peppermint I pulled out this morning? It was very, very old. I am different now than I was at 22. Not all the changes have been good, nor have they been all bad.

“I don’t know.” Charlie offered once. “I think the more you learn, the greater your ability to see how much more there is to know. It’s hard not to feel intimidated by that.”

I do know a tremendous amount – years of courses, research, training – both given and received...years of living have given me information and the ability to use it. I’m developing an educational plan – complete with classes I need to take – and am focused on topics I should learn. 5+ years after beginning focused study on this very topic, and I can make an impressive list of courses that I could really use. It’s hard not to feel inadequate.

And though my graduate experience was gentle compared to some (perhaps most) and my post-doctoral experience has been even more so, I’m left with all the feelings of being inadequate and wrong and lame. Maybe I didn’t deserve my degree, I mope. I don’t know how to do that! I whine. Why can’t I figure this out? I wail. It’s frustrating, and the idea that this was somehow meant to be – some great learning experience on the way to the next stage that is also meant to be? Not so much.

The job I knew would materialize and give me purpose along with more money than I could spend? It never showed up! I still don’t know what I’m doing. The man who was supposed to love me forever? Laughable. 6 years of crushes and dating, seeing friends and not being able to shift into romantic. Going to bars and deciding that wasn’t for me (though someone did once drunkenly profess his love for me. I ducked my head and walked by without making eye contact – I don’t enjoy drunk people – but perhaps that was ill-advised…), more blind dates than I care to number (though I did count them earlier - it was in February. You could click the arrow and see if it changes to a triangle!).

I think I slowly trained myself to accept the negative. The crushing feeling that I not only screwed up but that I was wrong about everything being right and wonderful? That’s just embarrassing. I hated being so wrong. And whether though self-fulfilling prophecy or just that the world sucks sometimes, expecting the worst means I’m most often right.

You won’t get that grant, I think. I don't share my negativity all that often - try mightily to remain peppy and sweet. That's probably why those feelings flow so easily on my blog. That paper is going to bounce back to you, needing revisions at best or rejected at worst, I predict. It’s hard to find faculty jobs and after you get one? That’s going to suck too. More time and energy and effort than any one person can reasonably produce.

He’s going to break up with her. She was just using him to fill time until someone better came along. They got married, but they’re likely unhappy. Isn’t she embarrassed that his job isn’t going well? See how he winced when she wore that dress to the department party! He'll cheat on her. She's delusional for believing otherwise.

People get sick. Patient 4 can’t participate in the study anymore because he’s in too much pain. The cancer came back. Do you know how frustrating and heartbreaking it is to study cancer on a clinical level? It makes me ill some days. The horror of that disease - of many diseases - just defies description.

My advisor wasn’t supportive. My computer is broken. I have another headache. I’m gaining weight again. How many times did I order pizza this week? My favorite TV show was cancelled. That book I eagerly anticipated wasn’t so good. This study should have been helpful, but the paper is indecipherable. That professor ignored me. This one made me cry.

So if I’m pushing away the negative at frequent intervals (aka all the time)? It’s because I trained myself to do otherwise. I got tired of being wrong and disappointed and decided to be right or surprised. The retraining - trying to find the balance between reasonable and positive - isn’t going to be as simple as I’d like. And while I miss facets of Katie at 22, she was also rather condescending and irritating. Perhaps by 34, I'll really hit my stride!

In the meantime, I've learned a lot. Made two amazing friends I love like sisters at 22. Published my first paper at 23 (from summer undergrad research). Left the country for the first time at 24. I found my Chienne online that same year. Went to Kyoto (gave my first conference talk) and London (all by myself!) at 25. I loved a wonderful man (but not enough), was awarded a doctoral degree and bought a house at 26. As for 27? I wrote a blog. I fell in love and it felt - for a while - exactly as I wanted. I submitted a grant (and I did work on it today). I published more of my graduate work. Connected with friends, though they're far away. Made a new one I enjoy very much (though I realized she was likely thinking "I also remember what it was like to be 27, you sanity-challenged weirdo." in the conversation I mentioned earlier).

But that's OK. At 27, I also started working on my mental health. And I still have over a month to learn to be more positive than I currently am before I start making the Age 28 list.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. I hate when the entries are over..it is like the end to a really great novel.

EthidiumBromide said...

"Do you know how frustrating and heartbreaking it is to study cancer on a clinical level? It makes me ill some days. The horror of that disease - of many diseases - just defies description."

If you could go back and do it all over again, would you be studying science from a different perspective? I gave up the opportunity for medical school to get a PhD instead because I thought I could last longer and make a greater contribution by doing pediatric oncology research instead of clinically treating children with cancer... but I wonder if being the researcher will will up being just as painful.

post-doc said...

Baggage-
You're very kind. Thank you. A lot. I love reading you too!

EthidiumBromide-
I don't know. But I'm sure of so little at this point. It does hurt me though. Even at meetings and analyzing data.

I'm going to be consenting patients personally for many of my studies, and I'm going to struggle emotionally. I'll be good at it, but it's going to hurt. I think one of my problems is that my research isn't likely to help that particular patient. It could help someone soon, but when I have to shake someone's hand, perhaps see family members, think about how hard it must be to retain hope? I feel sick and sad and awful.

So while I'm sure it's different than what oncologists feel - they're responsible for the care and that gives them power (though certainly not as much as they'd like, I'm sure). But I tend - again, with my specific research - to feel as if I'm using these poor patients to get publications. And though my goal is to help - I very much want to offer them something important - I feel powerless and slow and selfish sometimes.

To be fair, I cling to those feelings. I think it keeps me respectful of what I ask from these patients and puts the data I need in perspective. If they can't participate in a particular phase, I understand. I'm always careful to offer them the most information possible, to not make statements I can't prove and to be as fair and kind as possible. And I like the idea that the research I do has a quick impact. I just wish it were faster.

But to do it over again? I really don't know. I wish I did. But it pleases me greatly that you're so good at your research and find moments where you enjoy it. I hope it's not overly painful for you in the future.

The Contessa said...

Katie - I remember 22 also. And I too, feel more humble now than I did then.

I have a lot more respect for my parents ( not uncommon) and for people older than me.

Most importantly - I have learned that for all I know and have learned there is so much more out there to learn about life and myself.

Your piece today reminded me of that.

Happy Early Birthday Sweetie!!!

TitleTroubles said...

I started to write a quick reply to this post along the lines of--Hey! I'm not that old. Of course I remember 27 (though I wasn't thinking that at the time of that conversation, I don't think). But then I realized, I wasn't sure what I was doing at 27. Then the comment got a bit overly long, so I've decided it should be a blog post. If I ever finish writing it.

Anonymous said...

i agree with baggage ever so much!

i often think back on my past self at a younger age, and am sometimes embarrased to have been that person, but again, that person made me me today.

anyway, you have had an amazing life so far, and will continue to have one. the work you do is important, and despite the past wrong guys, you will find the right guy.

after all, we're still young!u

post-doc said...

Contessa-
I'm not sure what good deed I did to earn you, MapleMama and Bernie as readers, but I'm ever so grateful for it. I'm in absolute agreement - life makes me more humble and there's still so much to learn.

DRD-
I hope the remainder of your end of semester work is kind to you. Grad school can be a horrific experience at some points and that stretched too thin point was always one of them for me.

I should write something out about what I think of the hazing process. I do have stories! I like telling stories! If you find time to tell any of yours, I'll definitely be reading.

Friend-
I wasn't calling you old. I promise. :) But if perceived smart-ass behavior provokes a blog post, then I'm OK with that. It was a good post.

JustMe-
You're also very kind, so many thanks to you as well. :)

We are still young - I agree. So while there are countless disappointments left to face, there are also a tremendous amount of opportunties for happiness and hope. Good point.

H said...

I was arrogant and knew everything when I was 8. That didn't last long.

When I was 22 I had no idea what was going to happen. I had discovered that there was no correlation between how much I worked in a class and how well I did. I had failed classes I worked incredibly hard in and had gotten the highest grade in the calss in other classes that I did almost no work for, that others struggled with. Later I learned that it was my rather severe dyslexia making certain things virtually impossible for me. As I read well from a very early age, I never thought I was dyslexic. My GPA was terrible. I had not yet repeated all the classes I needed to to earn my degree.

My more competant friends left to go on to other things, the ones left were self-distructing around me. My boyfriend was an alcoholic. Others were sunk in drugs or depression. I desperately wanted to be free of them.

My parents cut me off financially. I got a job as a laboratory technician. I loved it. I was good at it. My immediate supervisor was an extreme morning person, there by 7, gone by 3:30. The lab head was not that early, I was there by 10, and stayed and stayed, working, and interacting with the grad students who did not come in 'til 4 and were there until midnight or later. My supervisor thought I did little work since she was there 3 hours before me. She was quite nasty to me. Fortunately the grad students and the lab head knew what I did.
I loved interacting with the grad students, talking of experimental design and analyzing results. I was paid next to nothing, but I knew how to live on Ramen noodle soup and a vegetables and a little chicken. I actually saved money.

Then I took the GREs. My scores were absolutely stellar. Almost all of them were in the 99th percentile. Eventially, eventually, I would go to grad school and fight the difficulties of getting decent grades. But not for 7 more years.

Things got better as I got older. My thesis advisor said that in her experience, women don't hit their stride until they are 40. Before then irrelevant things clutter you up, "How do I look?" "Do people like me" and trying to be other than what you are, etc. After 40 you get to be yourself. It is true for many, I think.

Locks said...

Hey,

I loved this post. I often reflect on the past and wonder about such things.

It sounds like your life has been very productive and fulfilling so far--not too many pple have accomplished the amount you have accomplished career-wise, and emotionally.

I often look at my past to find that I'm lacking in the social department--I haven't made the effort to get close to pple and make true friends, let alone have a fulfilling reomantic relationship. I envy you very much and congratulate you on your friends. As I get older the more and more I believe that "success" in life is more than anything a function of the pple one connects with and gives to and receives from along the way. Your hard-working, determined personality combined with the great amount you have contributed to the lives of friends and strangers is truly amazing.
Thanks for the great post.

Anonymous said...

I second (or third?) what Baggage said. :-) As one of your younger readers (senior in undergraduate), I particularly enjoyed this entry because it's close to what I'm experiencing now!

Psycgirl said...

Katie,This post was very inspiring. You remind me that I need to focus on growth and where I've come from, rather than the negative I may feel day-to-day! Thank you!

post-doc said...

H-
Interesting - I do enjoy stories. And an example of how things tend to work out eventually.

Locks-
When I didn't make the cheerleading squad in junior high, I was devastated. After letting me cry and cry, Mom asked if I could try to be grateful for what was. If I'd want to trade being smart and kind for peppy and popular.

"Yes!" I insisted.

"Really?" She asked, surprised.

"Of course! I want to be popular."
I said passionately.

"Huh." I remember her pausing, then shrugging. "You'll grow out of it."

I don't know that I have though. It's easier for me to focus on what I lack than what I have. To wish for greater confidence and hope when I could look over accomplishments and loved ones and find the hope that's already there.

I'm always eager to read what you write. I'm very hopeful for some people - that the life and people they deserve to have and know will eventually materialize. You happen to be one of those people for me - I really think things are going to work out for you - since I think so highly of you, I insist that it be true.

Estrella-
I didn't know you had a blog! So exciting! I also assumed you were older than you are.

I really can't wait to start reading you, and I very much appreciate the compliment. You're all being so nice to me!

PsycGirl-
Aw, it was my pleasure. It's impossibly lovely to have so many of my favorite people saying such nice and interesting things.

I'm so grateful for all of you. I don't know that I've been much fun to read over the past months, but as I'm starting to find my footing again, I really do appreciate you hanging around. And being so very kind and supportive.

Post a Comment