Monday, July 10, 2006

I like...

I listened to something on my iPod when returning home from my parents’ yesterday. I bought it some time ago and just never got to it. So for a little over two hours, I drove far too fast and did some thinking about the human condition. Considered 13 brief interviews on how we busy ourselves in an attempt to make some difference, make sense of the bad things that happen to and around us, what happens after death, what we know and what we can learn. It was interesting and appropriate.

There was one interview on blessings by M.J. Ryan. I haven’t cried a great deal lately – have been quite close on several occasions, but pull back from it. So through these interviews where some basic truths were shared, I found myself mildly moved a couple times, but cried only once.

The author spoke of her father. He lay dying in the hospital, suffering, and she asked if it was worth it. I’ll paraphrase, but he said something about how life was good. How he liked looking at the comics in the paper. Watching ballgames on TV. It was worth it because he could still find ways to be content. Reasons for gratitude.

I cried then.

I'm profoundly blessed. But sometimes it's the little things that get me through some days.

Veronica shared some of her favorite Dorothy Parker quotes today, and I smiled. I don’t often read “real” books. Have tended toward romance novels more often than not, and adore them. But back in the day, Dryden mentioned Parker was worth a read. Wanting very much to impress Dryden in some way, I happily clicked over to amazon and ordered a collection of her stories and poetry.

I was surprised at how much I liked it. Read a story and smiled, making a mental note to spend more time with the book. Then one rainy afternoon, I had nothing of note to do. So I turned off my television, took a long shower, put on pretty pajamas and a fluffy pink robe. I lit a candle – I’m big on smells – and snuggled on the couch with a glass of wine and my book. I sighed and giggled and turned pages, skipping over the poetry to find more stories. I like stories better.

It was perfect. A lazy afternoon full of words and classical music and a light scent of roses and herbs. I kept waiting for myself to get bored – realize I’m not at all cool and don’t really enjoy wine or Mozart or short stories when all alone – but found that I was completely content in those hours. Didn’t want to do work or check email or take a walk. I liked sipping white wine, reading and listening to music play over a rainy afternoon.

That’s part of what I love about interacting with people online. Book recommendations. I read Fight Club because Veronica loves it. I love it too. Pickwick Papers was another of Dryden’s. I'll confess to working through parts of it slowly, but I adored it. Night Soldiers was from a post of Rob’s. Deep in the Shade of Paradise showed up on Writing It Slant, and is waiting next to my couch right now.

Then on days when I’m sad, I smile over posts. Reading your words directly rather than the ones you like to read yourselves. I click on sites in bloglines with great interest or affection or both. I like reading blogs. I like writing mine.

I like approving proofs. I also like revising papers that have been accepted.

I liked Cars. I cooed at the cute parts and laughed at the funny parts.

I don’t like migraines, which I seem to get when I watch movies in theaters. I do, however, enjoy Tylenol PM. It eases the misery of pounding headaches quite quickly. And makes me sleep. I like sleep.

I like minty lip gloss. It’s pale pink and makes my lips warm. It’s tasty too, not that I’ve been kissed lately. But the slight tingle it causes reminds me that eventually there might be someone to kiss. And I found the lip gloss on sale, so I now have 5 tubes. So he has a little time to find me yet.

I also like good hand soap. I have the herb one for my kitchen. Cherry blossom is in my master bath, and cotton blossom for the guest bathroom.

Speaking of my guest bath, I giggle when I go in there too. When Chienne cowered from the scary fireworks, she – for whatever reason – settled in the bathtub. I shrugged, turned on the fan for white noise and threw some towels in. Now she just hangs out in there. Wags her tail when I walk down the hall, so I go in and pat her head (and take pictures to show you).

I also like the photo meme that’s going around. Honestly? I love all memes, though I don’t participate. It makes me feel like I’m trying to fit in with the cool kids, and I haven’t been good at that lately. I also would be surprised if anyone had photo requests, which is why I’ve tucked this at the bottom of my post. But should you want to see any of my stuff – all the romance novels I speak of, more of the puppy (because she’s such a pretty girl!), my beloved love seat, one of my 13 clocks (there might be more, but I can think of 13. Apparently I also like knowing what time it is.), just ask. I’ll be happy to share and give myself a bit more time to settle back into life.

Until then, there are many things that make me smile. Remembering that is good enough for today.

4 comments:

ceresina said...

Do you really have 13 clocks?
There's an amazing Thurber "fairy tale" called the 13 clocks. So another book recommendation.
And I'd love to see your romance novels. :-)
And your favorite flower/plant you see on your most frequent walk w/Chienne.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie!! De-lurking to say that I love your blog, you have a wonderful "voice". And also to say that you are totally one of the cool kids, so you should do the memes! (Although I perfectly understand that sentiment and it is in fact why *I* am not doing any of the memes... yet. =))

I'd love to see a picture of the loveseat. And maybe what you see when you're seated at it? And a picture of the now-fixed rooftop.

diss daisy

post-doc said...

I will get to the pictures soon - you're the best for requesting some.

Ceresina-
Yep. 13. I counted. :)

JustMe-
You're creative and fascinating. No reason to deny the obvious. :)

Diss Daisy-
Aren't you sweet? Thank you. And I really want to read your meme-less blog! (And I'm a better writer than I give myself credit for if I've convinced you that I'm at all cool.)

ScienceWoman said...

I want to see your smile. And of course, more of Chienne.

Post a Comment